Micro ATX Silent Light Gaming Build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

eXurion

Micro ATX Silent Light Gaming Build

Post by eXurion » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:26 am

Hello all.

My current pc is getting old and it was always noisy so its time for retirement.
I was selecting some parts in an attempt to make a silent PC -doesn't need to be 0DB- with the possibility of some casual gaming.
Nothing too heavy since i have a GT 430 bought last year and i would like to use it in the new pc. I don't find it loud -maybe because the rest of the pc is really loud :lol: -
I would like to try keep it under 600€

Anyway here are the parts that i have selected so far:

Case - Micro-ATX Cooler Master Silencio 352 - 56,40 €
- I was thinking of micro atx because sometimes i need to move my pc but if there's enough benefit ill go for a full tower
- Apparently the fans that come with this case are not that quiet but i think ill only turn one on since it's not a high spec pc but should i change the one i turn on with something better?

CPU - Intel Core i5 4460 (3.2GHz) Socket 1150 - 164,30 €
- Cheapest i5 i could select and i think its worth it to go the extra 30€ over an i3

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo - 20,90 €
- I won't overclock i just want a quiet cooler and unfortunately i don't think the 212 evo will fit this case

Motherboard - MSI H97M-G43 - 77,90 €
- I think its a good board. I could be wrong.

Memory - G.Skill Kit 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Ripjaws CL9 - 72,50 €

Storage - SSD Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SATA III - 75,90 €
- Ill use a 500G HDD from my old pc

PSU - Corsair GS-600W 2013 Edition - 69,90 €
- Unfortunately the website ill be shopping from only has Corsair or Nox Psu's at this price range idk if this one is worth it or if i can go for a lower watts one like the Corsair Modular CX-500W M (80+) 61,90 € or Corsair Modular CX-430W M (80+) 48,50 €

Total - 537.8€

I would like some opinions and thanks for you help. :D

CA_Steve

Re: Micro ATX Silent Light Gaming Build

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:36 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

Just a quick reply to let you know the integrated HD 4600 graphics is more powerful than the GT 430 discrete card. Toss the card.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:12 pm

The Hyper 212 is actually a pretty short cooler. I've managed to get it to fit in a number of cases you wouldn't think it fits in. From what I can find, the Cooler Master height limit for the CPU cooler is in the range of about 160mm, so the 212 would fit. It might seem extremely tight, but it would fit. What I would definitely say is that if you get a tower cooler that supports a 120mm fan, the 212 would be a great heatsink, and you could spend a little extra on a nicer, quieter fan. It keeps the door open for more possibilities. The Cooler Master case can fit a Thermalright Ultra 120, so you should be fine with the 212 and a good 120mm fan.

For light usage, I'm not really sure if you will notice a difference between an i3 and an i5. I just built and am in the process of reviewing a Steambox. I used an i3 4130, and in games, there is no lag or stutter whatsoever. I'm using the integrated graphics as well. I'm not much of a gamer, so I can't really comment on the performance compared to anything else, but from the past few days of working my way through a few games, the integrated Intel GPUs have made tremendous leaps in performance, so As CA_Steve said, the GT430 will be less performance. You can leave the GT430 out, try out your games, and see the difference for yourself. The only reason to go for a dedicated card is if it's required for your game. Some games don't have good support for Intel graphics, which is understandable, but I would suggest trying out the Intel GPU first and seeing how well it works.

For the motherboard, I can say that MSI has never let me down. For a long time I only used MSI gear and it always worked really well for me. The board you picked should work just fine for you. Along with that, I also used G-Skill RAM for a long time exclusively in my personal builds. Like with MSI, I never had a problem.

Your PSU is overkill for your use though. You could safely even go down to a 300-350W unit with no problems. The Corsair 430W modular is probably the best pick for you, unless you see yourself going to a beefier GPU in the future. Even with that, many GPUs are much more power efficient now, so I can't say you'd require more than 450W unless you're looking to go to an SLI/CrossFire system in the future.

I would say overall, you've picked great components. A lot of them are from brands I've used over and over with no problems. My primary concern is whether 120gb is enough for the SSD. I say that because in my personal build which runs Windows 8, I started with a 250gb VelociRaptor. When I finally bought an SSD, I had to get a 240gb because my C: drive has about 110gb on it. No major projects, but Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center Pack, as well as my main programs (Adobe CS6 Master Collection, Pro Tools 11, and a few others). I don't game on it at all, but I'm aware that games can start to take up a lot of space over time, so that's just what I would be mindful of with a 120gb SSD. Windows 7 takes up less space on the disk, but over time, windows updates, apps and games can still take up a significant amount of space that you need to take into account.

eXurion

Post by eXurion » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:23 pm

I will take your advice an ditch the gt 430 since the HD 4600 is pretty much the same.

So if I change the tx3 for a 212 EVO what fan do you recommend?
The website I will order has COOLERMASTER CORSAIR NOCTUA NOISEBLOCKER NOX REVOLTEC Scythe.
Also should I get 2? One for cpu and another for the case?

I will change the cpu for an i3 I have 3 options
i3 4160 (3.6GHz) 109,90€
i3 4330 (3.5GHz) 111,50€
i3 4350 (3.6GHz) 129,70€

Will the cx-430 handle a gtx 750 if I decide to upgrade the gpu in the future?

Lastly the ssd I think I can live with 120gb but in case I go for a bigger one which one is better
Crucial MX100 256GB
Kingston V300 240GB

I was going for the Samsung because it seems to have higher speeds.
The crucial 120gb was very slow compared to the Samsung I hope they improved it on the 256gb version

Thanks for the help tomorrow I'll do an updated the build and values

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:33 pm

Most current gen SSDs can have slow write speeds at 120GB class because there aren't enough memory chips. Less chips -> less parallel channels to write to. Go for the Crucial MX100.

i3 vs i5: For normal tasks (email, browsing, streaming movies) and many games, the i3 is great. A lot of games only use two physical cores. Many that can use more than two cores, work well with just 2. If you have to cut your budget somewhere, this is fine. If you have the extra 30 Euros, go for the i5. It can come in handy if you decide to get a tougher game, plan to heavily multitask while gaming (play a movie on another monitor, run voicechat, etc), or run an app that can make use of the 4 cores (Handbrake, etc).

case fan: Try the included fan and see if it works for you. You can always replace it.

cpu fan: same thing. Try the EVO's fan first.

PSU: Here's a conservative way to ballpark your power. CPU TDP + GPU TDP + 50W for motherboard and everything else (unless you have a lot of HDDs). So, 54W to 84W for the CPU and 50W for everything else. 104 to 134W stressed load. GTX 750 Ti adds 60W for 164 to 194W stressed load. Gaming load will be closer to 160W max with an i5.

The CX430 is reasonably quiet for a basic 80+ PSU. The fan will be ramping up during gaming with the 750 Ti, but at 37% of load, not outrageous. If it's available, the Corsair RM450 is a better PSU..but pricier.

eXurion

Post by eXurion » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:03 am

After searching the web a bit more i found that the 212 evo will fit but not really i have seen reports of the top spikes poking trough the mesh of the silencio 352.

I've also found another cooler
Thermalright True Spirit 120 M BW -not the rev. A-
its the same price as the 212 evo but alot shorter at 145 mm im sure it will fit the case.
I've read some reviews saying its quiet. Does anyone know any fault with it or is it a solid pick?

As psu goes Corsair RM450 is not available only RM550 at almost 100€ so i think its overkill for a budget pc.
I will go for the CX-500W Modular (80+) just on safe side in case ill get a decent gpu.

So my build will be the following:

CPU Cooler - Thermalright True Spirit 120 M BW - 29.90€ (still open for discussion)
Memory - G.Skill Kit 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Ripjaws CL9 - 72,50 €
Storage - Crucial MX100 256GB SATA III - 96,40 €
PSU - Corsair Modular CX-500W M (80+) - 61,90 €

Total - 559.3€

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:29 am

The only flaw with the original was less than ideal fan. Thermalright has a great mounting kit and they typically have adapters in later years if/when CPU mounts change. The BW has a different fan. Should be a great cooler. Worst case, you do a fan replacement. Also, the cooler offset allows for RAM with tall heatspreaders.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:47 am

eXurion wrote:I've read some reviews saying its quiet. Does anyone know any fault with it or is it a solid pick?

What about reading the official SPCR review?
Anyway, I own it, it's an excellent cooler (better than the 212) with a really terrible fan, probably the worst fan I've ever heard.

eXurion wrote:I will go for the CX-500W Modular (80+) just on safe side in case ill get a decent gpu.

Even if it's a solid unit, noise wise the CX isn't the best option, and whether it's efficiency is not adequate (your rig will draw around 40W on average), the relevant figures aren't terrible (it is as efficient as a 750W gold-rated unit, around 78% at the above quoted power draw): nonetheless, with reference to the GPU, not even a Radeon R9 295X2 would require a 500W PSU.

Talking about alternatives, there's one of the favourite SPCR classics, the Seasonic G-360, which is much more efficient and much quieter up to about 120-150W (the load of your rig with a GTX-750Ti or a R7 265); the Corsair CS-M is a better sounding one (and slightly more efficient) than its CX sibling; another viable option is the Cooler Master VSM, extremely efficient (around 87-88% at 40W) and much better sounding up to 200W; then there's its cheaper sibling, the Cooler Master GM, probably the quietest among those quoted, with reference to sound pressure level up to about 300W, and slightly more efficient than the CX itself.

Anyway, given a total expenditure of about 560 euros, I don't think a 100 euros PSU is an overkill (you will have a total amount of about 600 euros, about 7-8% more: it's much more an overkill a 500W PSU for an IGP only rig): the PSU, as well as the enclosure, it's the foundation of your future build, so it have to be a solid and reliable choice, and whether quietness is an actual priority, it worths to invest on it.
Last edited by quest_for_silence on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:48 am

CA_Steve wrote:The BW has a different fan.
It's about the same shit, or maybe even crappier.

eXurion

Post by eXurion » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:40 am

quest_for_silence wrote: What about reading the official SPCR review?
Anyway, I own it, it's an excellent cooler (better than the 212) with a really terrible fan, probably the worst fan I've ever heard.
Yes i found out the SPCR review after posting the comment. Apparently the worst part isn't the fan but the pieces that mount the fan. But how would i solve that with a new fan if the mounting parts are the same? Or is there a way to mount the fan without the original mounting pieces.
quest_for_silence wrote: Talking about alternatives, there's one of the favourite SPCR classics, the Seasonic G-360, which is much more efficient and much quieter up to about 120-150W (the load of your rig with a GTX-750Ti or a R7 265); the Corsair CS-M is a better sounding one (and slightly more efficient) than its CX sibling; another viable option is the Cooler Master VSM, extremely efficient (around 87-88% at 40W) and much better sounding up to 200W; then there's its cheaper sibling, the Cooler Master GM, probably the quietest among those quoted, with reference to sound pressure level up to about 300W, and slightly more efficient than the CX itself.
The only one I find from those models is the Corsair Modular CS-550W M at 77,90 €
I would like to buy everything from the same website because of transport costs and the shop im going to buy from has great prices and variaty except on the PSU department.
So besides the cheap crappy brands they only have Corsair Enermax Nox XFX.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:36 am

eXurion wrote:...Apparently the worst part isn't the fan but the pieces that mount the fan. But how would i solve that with a new fan if the mounting parts are the same? Or is there a way to mount the fan without the original mounting pieces.
The current Thermalright True Spirit 120 M BW Rev A uses both a different fan and a different fan mounting. The fan has a PWM speed range of 600 to 1300 rpm (the one in the SPCR review was 700 to 1500). Mounting it not longer involves fan clips, instead a clip on plastic shroud is provided. The CPU cooler mounting is changed as well, using just bolts and no back plate.

The fan is probably acceptable if used in PWM mode and if speeds are limited to 1000 rpm or less.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:55 am

lodestar wrote:The fan is probably acceptable if used in PWM mode and if speeds are limited to 1000 rpm or less.

No, it's really terrible, even at its minimum speed.

eXurion

Post by eXurion » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:10 am

If the Thermalright is so bad maybe I'll just stick to the t3 Evo. It's a 92mm fan but apparently it's really quiet

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:24 am

eXurion wrote:But how would i solve that with a new fan if the mounting parts are the same? Or is there a way to mount the fan without the original mounting pieces.

I have had no problem with a regular Glidestream PWM. Anyway, you may use zip-ties around the heatsink to secure any fan.

eXurion wrote:The only one I find from those models is the Corsair Modular CS-550W M at 77,90 €

Does the potential saving over the RM550 really worth? The RM is a better product overall (and semi-fanless).
Anyway, that CS is noticeably quieter than the CX-series.

eXurion wrote:I would like to buy everything from the same website because of transport costs and the shop im going to buy from has great prices and variaty except on the PSU department.

I don't think about 10 euros more for an additional shipping charge would be such detrimental for your wallet: do 570 euros vs 560 euros make that much difference? Did you think about that? Moreover there are sources with free shipping policies (most notably, Amazon).

eXurion wrote:So besides the cheap crappy brands they only have Corsair Enermax Nox XFX.

The only XFX noise-wise preferable should be the XTR and above series: they are better units than a CS (or a CX), but probably more expensive while not preferable to a Corsair RM550 noise wise.

eXurion wrote:If the Thermalright is so bad maybe I'll just stick to the t3 Evo. It's a 92mm fan but apparently it's really quiet

What about just swapping the fan?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:07 am

I thought the OP said:
for luca: he only has access to Corsair and another brand (not Seasonic) PSU and the RM isn't available.
for lodestar: he has access to the original TRUE Spirit 120M with the b/w fan rather than the Rev A.

I'll stick with my earlier post - go with the 120M and try the fan. If you don't like it, then replace it. Cable ties work fine.

eXurion

Post by eXurion » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:14 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Does the potential saving over the RM550 really worth? The RM is a better product overall (and semi-fanless).
Anyway, that CS is noticeably quieter than the CX-series.
Okay the semi fanless part got me convinced since most of the time its just web browsing and movies the fan will be stopped so the rm550 is worth it.

Amazon doesn't ship free to my country - Portugal - and even the Spanish amazon doesn't have attractive prices that's why i'm buying it all on a Portuguese web store that i have bought parts before.

Anyway the fan part.
The store doesn't have glidestream but has a couple of Slip Stream and Gentle Typhoon ones at all kinds of rpm but i can't figure it out which ones have PWM and the ones that don't.
The store also has a couple of noctua's and corsain fan's that say pwm

-Edit:
i have access to the Corsair Modular RM-550W 98,90 € but not the RM-450W that would be cheaper

eXurion

Post by eXurion » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:17 am

Okay after some more researching i think i've found the solution.
Since the TRUE Spirit 120M has some mix reviews and i would probably end up buying at 10-15€ fan why not go straight for a more expensive better cooler.
So after some research i found that the Noctua NH-L9i would fit right in.
Its the right size the right price - 44.70€ - and according to the SPCR review one of the best silent coolers for the size.
The only weak point mentioned on the review is not great for overclock but I won't do one so I think its set.
Now i just have to check the budget because i think its going over 600€

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:23 am

eXurion wrote:The store doesn't have glidestream but has a couple of Slip Stream and Gentle Typhoon ones at all kinds of rpm but i can't figure it out which ones have PWM and the ones that don't.
The store also has a couple of noctua's and corsain fan's that say pwm

You may post the relevant URL, in order to get some more informed adviced.

About alternatives for the CPU heatsink cooler, again, provide us the URL for your shopping list (by the way, you can't overclock an Intel Core i5 4460).

eXurion

Post by eXurion » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:45 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
You may post the relevant URL, in order to get some more informed adviced.

About alternatives for the CPU heatsink cooler, again, provide us the URL for your shopping list (by the way, you can't overclock an Intel Core i5 4460).
Okay i didn't know if i could post links or not so i avoided doing it.
Here is the link - http://globaldata.pt/
The website only has portuguese so here are some direct links.

120MM fans - http://globaldata.pt/pt-PT/cg/115/120mm_115.htm
CPU Coolers - http://globaldata.pt/pt-PT/cg/106/CPU_106.htm
PSU's - http://globaldata.pt/pt-PT/cg/46/ATX_46.htm

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:33 pm

eXurion wrote:...So after some research i found that the Noctua NH-L9i would fit right in.
Yes that would be a good choice. For a little bit more you could also consider the NH-L12. It is fitted with two fans, one of which is the Noctua NF-F12 which sells separately for around 19€. Another alternative would be to buy the Thermalright 120M BW and replace the fan with the NF-F12, which would cost around 49€ in total. The NF-F12 has rubber pads which make it a slightly tighter fit with fan clips; this should work fine with the 120M BW fixings. The Noctua NF-F12 has a nominal speed range of 300 to 1500 rpm; in PWM mode it could be expected to run around 350 to 450 rpm under idle or low system stress conditions.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:21 am

IMO the only PWM fans certainly suitable for quiet operation are some high end ones:

1 - Noctua NF-F12 PWM
2 - Noctua NF-P12 PWM

In my opinion, with a lesser degree of confidence, you may then consider:

3 - Noiseblocker M12-PS PWM
4 - Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro PL-PS PWM 120mm

IMVHO it's also interesting the very cheap:

1 - Cooltek Silenciosa 120 PWM Baixa Rotacao

but it's just a bet, based solely upon the very low speed (300rpm), as I don't know it at all.

If I can take the liberty, given the usual high price of those options, probably it's a safer bet to pick a different cooler.

Among them, IMHO the ones with decent stock fans and not that high price are:

1 - Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 - I'm not a fan of AC, but when driven below 800rpm it's an excellent performer for the asking price
2 - Cooler CPU Cooler Master Hyper 412S - IMO/IME it's slightly preferable to the 212 BUT it REQUIRES a CPU fan header capable to run voltage controlled fans OR alternatively to control it through a case fan header but using SpeedFan, as it doesn't need more than 700rpm to safely cool any non overclocked CPU (and above that speed its tonal quality is not that great).
3 - Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev. A BW - probably the best cooler of the quoted ones, I don't like its fan but when run under 750rpm it's fairly acceptable (and you don't need more than 700rpm to cool anything with such an heatsink). You can read the relevant SPCR review.

The Noctua NH-L9i and NH-L12 are both good performers, but personally I wouldn't consider them, given the relative high price and their own limitations, while on the cheap side, my personal bet would be the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13, which might give you a good satisfaction for the money.

I haven't checked the relevant heights but I can assure you that anything up to 161mm ACTUALLY fits inside the CM 352. Just a final note about the case: its stock fan is not that good sounding, even at low speed it is easily noticeable, so that personally I would pick a cheap 1200rpm Slipstream to replace it (but check on your motherboard manual the availability of proper case fan headers).

eXurion

Post by eXurion » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:25 pm

Well I've bought my pc :D
I contacted the store and they said they would assemble everything in store and contact me if there was any problem with size or anything.
So this is my end build

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - 29,50 €
Memory - G.Skill Kit 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Ripjaws CL9 - 78,90 € - unfortunately there was a 5€ rise in price
Storage - Crucial MX100 256GB SATA III - 96,40 €
PSU - Corsair Modular RM-550W - 98,90 €

Total - 602,3 €

If there is need for it i will buy a better case fan next month
My current PC gives out 50dB with ambient noise at 30dB -measured with phone app nothing too fancy
So i hope this new one stays under 40 we will see.

Thanks for all the help! :D

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:41 pm

The fan of the 212 will be quite noticeable particularly under load, and if you can afford to do it spending 19 € on the NF-F12 as a replacement will make quite a difference.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:37 pm

Congrats on your build.

eXurion

Post by eXurion » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:49 am

Hello I have the new pc for around 1 week and im loving it but now i was thinking of getting a dedicated gpu just for a little extra power when playing.
I have cut down my choice to 2 but i can't find out wich one is quieter.
My 2 options are:

Asus R7 260X DC2 OC 2GB DDR5 125,90 €
MSI GTX750 Ti TwinFrozr OC 2GB DDR5 142,90 €

Their power is simmilar but I can't find out wich one is quieter.
I'm willing to spend the extra 17€ on the MSI one if the noise difference is noticable.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:05 am

eXurion wrote:I'm willing to spend the extra 17€ on the MSI one if the noise difference is noticable.

Right out of the box and at stock settings (no custom fan curve) the MSI GTX-750Ti Gaming is expected to be quieter, particularly under load, but "how much" I may hardly say.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:55 am

The MSI is quiet, but there are two better cards. Can you get the Asus GTX 750 Ti STRIX or the Palit GTX 750 Ti KalmX?

eXurion

Post by eXurion » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:17 am

I can't find the Palit on any of my usual websites and the Asus GTX750 Ti STRIX OC 2GB DDR5 i can get at 164,90 €
Its almost the price of a R9 270 but I guess I will choose the Asus. I love the new wave of products that are starting to come up with semi-fanless profiles.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:50 am

Pricey. The tradeoff is whether or not you want the gfx card to be silent or just damn quiet at idle/2D use and if it's worth the 20€.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:48 am

eXurion wrote:I can't find the Palit

But why don't you pick the cheapest available GTX-750Ti and slap an Accelero S1 Plus on it?
It would be more effective, noise-wise, and maybe cheaper than any ASUS or MSI card.