HD mounting kit for temjin tj08-e?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xaffeine

HD mounting kit for temjin tj08-e?

Post by xaffeine » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:12 am

I have read in SPCR that "bungie" suspension is the best way avoid noise emission from internal hard drives. However, I can't use that solution because my box needs to be transportable without opening it up for surgery. Also, I am not so mechanically inclined for such a project. I have also read that rubber grommets do not help much in a hard-mounted situation. So, I am wondering if there is some intermediate-level approach that would be helpful.

My drive is a 3.5" WD4000FYYZ "enterprise" 4TB/7200 rpm model. The case has 5.25 and 3.5 bays open and also floor space available.

Would something like the Sharkoon Vibe Fixer III (http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/content/vibe-fixer-iii) make sense? It is a kit that mounts a 3.5 drive on rubber bumpers in a 5.25" bay.

I'm sure somebody has written something on this type of question but I haven't been able to discover succinct current advice as yet.

Abula

Re: HD mounting kit for temjin tj08-e?

Post by Abula » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:41 am

My recommendation is to replace the 7200rpm drive with an Western Digital WD40EFRX 4 TB WD Red, 3.5 inch, SATA III 5400 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM NAS Hard Drive.

If you do need the 7200rpm drive, then consider enclosing it on 5.25 case, there was one from Scythe Silent Box SBX-1000 HDD Enclosure that i cant seem to find.... maybe its discontinued, but here are some options,

Logisys Aluminum Hard Drive Silencer - Silver
Alphacool Silentmaxx-HD-Insulation Rev. 2.0
mCubed Vertical Silence - HDD Cooler - Black

Just monitor the temps, to see if you are within the manufacturer tolerances for your specific hdd, usually enterprise level hdds have higher resliance... but its best to check.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:58 am

2 stout foam o-rings cut from recycled hdd/heatsink packaging, holding the 3.5 hdd in the 5.25 bay.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:15 am

xaffeine wrote:...Would something like the Sharkoon Vibe Fixer III (http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/content/vibe-fixer-iii) make sense? It is a kit that mounts a 3.5 drive on rubber bumpers in a 5.25" bay.
I have used the Sharkoon Vibe Fixer Pro which works on a similar principle, and yes it did work for me.

xaffeine

Post by xaffeine » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:38 pm

Is the scythe himuro similar enough to the silent box to be recommended?
http://www.scytheus.com/product/himuro- ... enclosure/

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:53 pm

You could consider the Sharkoon Vibe-Fixer which is a form of suspension system.

xaffeine

Post by xaffeine » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:13 pm

I haven't been able to find a place to buy the vibe fixer iii or pro in the USA, so I think I'll try the Logisys, which seems reasonably priced.

Btw, I am only really concerned about seek noise because the drive is pretty quiet except when there is a run of hard seeks.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:52 pm

xaffeine wrote:I haven't been able to find a place to buy the vibe fixer iii or pro in the USA, so I think I'll try the Logisys, which seems reasonably priced.

Btw, I am only really concerned about seek noise because the drive is pretty quiet except when there is a run of hard seeks.
I would go the same, i personally prefer the noise vibe III, but didint suggested out of your need of moving your PC.

If you can let us know how it works out for you, would be great to others to know first hand from you.