Fractal Design Define R4 build

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

useful_idiot

Re: Fractal Design Define R4 build

Post by useful_idiot » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:59 pm

Shame you cant get the 780 to smoothly control the Accelero's fans. I would take another look at it and see if you can fix the surging. 7v is ok but PWM control is silence heaven! If you had a vented mesh top case you could switch to a NoFan cpu cooler and eliminate 5 fans! That could be a problem because then you would hear your 1 TB platter and you would have to spend ALOT on a big SDD to replace it. Its a slippery slope..i know...i know

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:23 pm

Well the Accelero III you couldn't, as i posted in the thread, but the Accelero IV you can control the fans, i showed the 7V on both just as a reference, and to compare it to the III, mostly i was trying to see if the fans were the same or something was done different by Arctic.

useful_idiot

Post by useful_idiot » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:55 pm

ok i see now there are two different Accelero's being tested. I am wondering specifically if you can get the IV to work with the 780's onboard PWM fan control not FanExpert. I am very curious about if this will work or not as it would be the easiest "no setup needed" option.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:00 pm

useful_idiot wrote:ok i see now there are two different Accelero's being tested. I am wondering specifically if you can get the IV to work with the 780's onboard PWM fan control not FanExpert. I am very curious about if this will work or not as it would be the easiest "no setup needed" option.
The fanXpert2 graphs were as the 7v/12v test for pure showing on the difference on the acceleros, to get a graph into how the fans react to PWM singal, but the accelero IV is being ran on the GPU pwm fan header, and its being controlled by the vbios, that said its not that different from 7V, like 150rpms or so, but it does ramp up with the gpu temperature, not much though as the accelero does cool well, and gtx780 isnt a hot running gpu like past gens.

useful_idiot

Post by useful_idiot » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:18 pm

Excellent! My results were the same between PWM and 7v, about 8%. Not that much as you say but it did make a nice difference in my system. Good to see similarities between different cards with Acceleros's, Thanks!

sn1009

Post by sn1009 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:50 am

Abula wrote:There is a other things that ill be doing the next couple of weeks, installing the HR22 on the HTPC with NF-S12A PWM, and the MSI GTX750Ti Twin Frozr, but i also ordered the ARCTIC Accelero S1 Plus VGA Cooler - nVidia & AMD, Silent Passive Cooling, SLI/CrossFire, will also test the Twin Frozr fans on the FanXpert2, to see if the minimum they can reach is the 30% we all seen as the restriction on the card bios. And specially i want to see if the Maxwell cards have the same issue as Kepler with the PWM design into controlling standard PWM fans, ill give a shot once i install the S1 + NF-S12A PWM.
Have you had a chance to test if the MSI GTX750Ti's fan can drop lower than 30%?

From what I can tell from THIS SCREENSHOT your GTX780 is not limited to min. 30% - correct?
Do you know what the minimum limit is for your GTX780?

Why did you choose the 4790K over the 4690K for your gaming rig?
Do you play games that can take advantage of hypertreading?

Thanks

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:54 am

sn1009 wrote:Have you had a chance to test if the MSI GTX750Ti's fan can drop lower than 30%?
Quick answer no, long answer check post on GTX 750Ti sips power thread, on page 4 scroll down, you find some graphs and readings about the card, the twin frozr fans and using a pwm fan on it.
sn1009 wrote:From what I can tell from THIS SCREENSHOT your GTX780 is not limited to min. 30% - correct?
Do you know what the minimum limit is for your GTX780?
Well the screenshot you are seeing is to show how the Accelero III coudlnt be read accurately via the 4pin GPU pwm header on the video card and the Accelero IV fix this, its more a comparation to show how both were really different in their PWM design. Now the limit is 26% pwm from what i recall, this is in theory.... pwm design of the gpus are not as transparent as motherboards, specially nvidia implementation... but you wont be able to go below 26%, its restricted by the vbios, unless you want to flash mod it, that i personally dont recommend, there are much better options now, like GTX970/980 STRIX or Twin Frozr V, both offer passive idle performance and still very quiet above 67C. No reason to look into GTX780 anymore or in aftermarket cooling solutions.
sn1009 wrote:Why did you choose the 4790K over the 4690K for your gaming rig?
I do some encoding and editing on my gaming pc that do take the advantage on the hyperthreading, and i wanted 4.4Ghgz stock =), that i finally didnt go for due to temps (pending if the FT05 can help me with that), but stayed on 4.2ghz. The i5 4690K is a much better choice for pure gaming, specially since it runs at least 10C cooler under the same load, so you will end up with quieter setup or cooler running, also consumes less power, much cheaper, so for pure gaming build go for the i5 4690K
sn1009 wrote:Do you play games that can take advantage of hypertreading?
Not atm, but i seen people mention games like BF4 do, weather its a significant upgrade, i doubt it, but reality is that most games are optimized for one or two cores, we are barely starting to see the trend of moving toward 4 cores.... so for now i5 for gaming is ideal.

But i do expect that with the release of the new consoles using multicores, more and more new releases will start to be design for 4 or more cores, this comes at the time that really doesnt matter much though, as those cpus still are very light compared to a high end intel cpu, and by the time we need more cores, there will be better chips and platfroms from intel, its best to just plan for the short term and invest the least that you can to cover what you really need, future proofing on PCs is really a bad investment.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:44 pm

Abula wrote:But i do expect that with the release of the new consoles using multicores, more and more new releases will start to be design for 4 or more cores, this comes at the time that really doesnt matter much though, as those cpus still are very light compared to a high end intel cpu, and by the time we need more cores, there will be better chips and platfroms from intel, its best to just plan for the short term and invest the least that you can to cover what you really need, future proofing on PCs is really a bad investment.
At first, I thought it would take DX11, now I think it'll be DX12 before we see a serious commitment to 4 core and more for gaming. With DX9 and 10, it was difficult to program for more than two cores. With DX11, it was made easier but not worth it, when the one core used for supervisor was always maxing out/ true limiter on performance.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:46 am

Abula wrote:But i do expect that with the release of the new consoles using multicores, more and more new releases will start to be design for 4 or more cores
I don't think so, because there are no 4 core entry CPUs readily available or widespread. And the hardware that mainstream gaming customers use has hyperthreading at most.

And imho the gaming business might turn to steam machines and streamed graphics, because those will make pay per use more easy to implement. Imagine how many copies/subcriptions of a game could be sold if you only need next gens tablets to participate instead of a full fledged gaming system which costs more than 500$ to play at low/med and about 800$ to enjoy high details.

antiatavist

Post by antiatavist » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:35 am

What can you expect if you put this fan on the side panel?

Any drastic difference in terms of cooling/noise?

Sader

Post by Sader » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:25 am

Hello,

Can you pls comment on the GPU VRM temperatures during load?
Imho all the tests I've seen they getting very toasty for my liking...

thanks

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:44 pm

antiatavist wrote:What can you expect if you put this fan on the side panel?
Not familiar with that fan, personally have not considered using the side pannel opening, there is no filter. I only use the two on front and one bottom as all 3 are behind filters and the back is an exhaust.
antiatavist wrote:Any drastic difference in terms of cooling/noise?
Sry can't answer that, as i haven't tested this fan position. All setups are different, so this is more up to you to test and see if works better for your current hardware. But a good read about fans and fan placement that i leave you that might help you, Bit-Tech The Big Air Cooling Investigation
Sader wrote:Can you pls comment on the GPU VRM temperatures during load?
Imho all the tests I've seen they getting very toasty for my liking...
I'm not sure, but from what i remember the only manufacturer that did measure VRM temps was AMD, on Nvidia you only get GPU temp, at least on my testing. VRM are usually one of the hotest spots on video cards, on the accelero III it had some heatsinks to help, on the Accelero IV its more the backplate, since i first installed the III and then IV i have both heatsinks and backplate, either way, i can't comment much on this as i have no way to measure them.

Personally i dont think its worth the Accelero anymore, with how Nvidia GPUs are so efficient, i think the manufacturers aftermarket coolers are doing a fine job, my next gpus will not see any upgrading from 3rd party coolers.