New R5 case owner.. help with fan placement and suggestions

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Copyright

New R5 case owner.. help with fan placement and suggestions

Post by Copyright » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:48 am

I have had my 600T for a while now and decided now with the release of the R5 it was time for a new case. I ordered the White window version. Yes I know that is a mistake when the goal is a silent build. The solid panel would have done a better job keeping the noise in but I needed to have a little bit of flash to keep my happy. I have purchased 3 x Noctua Redux 1500rpm 140mm PWM fans for the case. Two up front and one in the rear. Would you guys suggest I cut away the rear grill or is the noise it creates minimal anyways? I also am removing all drive bays up front since I only have 1 4tb mechanical drive for storage. THis drive I plan to use my Nexus 5.25 bay dampening kit and will run it in the 5.25 slots up top. This means the front fans will have nothing blocking their air flow on the inside of the case. I don't want to use the top fan spots as it will only create more noise. There is an option for a fan at the bottom of the case I can probably get a fan in.. it would suck air from the floor and blow up.. My only concern is would it mess up the air flow that is being blown inward from the front fans and in the end would it even be worth running? My Video card is stock clocked but I do run an overclocked CPU. Little worried about how my temps are going to be with this case but then again the 600T wasn't the best cooling case either although I did have a MNPC Tech window with dual side fans assisting in the cooling of the video card. My goal is a silent PC at idle or light usage.. noise is totally fine when gaming since I have my headset on. Thanks for any feedback!

Copyright

Re: New R5 case owner.. help with fan placement and suggesti

Post by Copyright » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:02 pm

Ok just a heads up on what I did.. Noctua 140mm Redux 2 up front and 1 in rear.. running 350 rpm... I shutdown the CPU fan using Asus stop fan option when not hot. Also the new GTX 980 I got shuts off the fans at idle. My PC is freakin quiet.. cpu hottest core 37c at idle with no fan on and 4.5ghz OC. Video card is at 40C with no fans on. Asus fan Xpert controls the fans and is working perfectly. I don't run any full size HD's so I removed the cage up front which allowed for better air flow. This Fractal R5 case runs SILENT. I have it setup to ramp up during gaming but at that point I don't care about the noise since I have my headphones on.

CA_Steve

Re: New R5 case owner.. help with fan placement and suggesti

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:55 pm

Congrats!