Need a cheap but sort of quiet heatsink :)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

terramir

Need a cheap but sort of quiet heatsink :)

Post by terramir » Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:05 pm

Hello My next upgrade is right around the corner,
And this request is not really for me. Personally I have a Thermalright SLK-800 with a Noiseblocker Ultrasilent-2 on top of it :)
But I will be putting my old xp 2000 and dragon+ in a friends computer ! and this is for free. I'm not selling it because it's not worth it for me might as well give a friend the stuff, :) since I would only be able to get a fraction of what I paid for it :( .
But quite honestly I don't want to have to invest alot of money more into her mashine. Since she ain't paying a cent!
LOL
And I don't want to put the screamer of a vantec all copper I have laying around man was that thing loud! I want to be cheap about it but I don't want to make her deaf.
Hey the vantec is what started my quest for quiet LOL.
Anyhow what heatsink as cheap as possible will cool an xp 2000 without being obnoixious about it?
Werre talking bargin quiet here!
Thanks
terramir

NeilBlanchard

Thermaltake Volcano 7+

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:36 pm

You might look into the Thermaltake Volcano 7+ -- it costs as little as $22 with fan that has 3 speeds. High is quite loud, but medium is nearly as effective and a lot quieter.

http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp_p3.htm#v7p

quokked

Post by quokked » Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:48 pm

One cheap way that u might go about it is to use that vantec all copper screamer heatsink and just replace the fan with a lower RPM on it instead of the screamer fan on it, quick single and cheap, maybe u could mount a 80MM fan on it with a bent PCI bracket.... :)

terramir

Post by terramir » Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:52 pm

yeah where could I get a 60 to 80 mm funnel that would work :)
probably
terramir

testingthis

Post by testingthis » Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:24 pm

SVcompucycle.com has a fairly silent heatsink made by Arctic Cooling, the Super Silent 4TC(for Pentiums) for about $15. They also sell an AMD version for about the same price. The aluminum heatsink comes with a temperature controlled fan what only spins up as fast as it needs to keep the cpu within it recommended operating temperature. I have the 4TC in my 2.8ghz P4 and I wish the other components of my system were as silent. When booting up, the 4TC fan only spins sporatically because it detects that the heatsink is still cold. However, after a minute or two, it spins more consistently, above 1000rpm or more, depending on how hot the heatsink gets. I used to use the Volcano 7, but I found that at the lowest fan setting, it was considerably louder than most of the components in my system. The 4TC is virtually inaudible compared to the lowest fan setting on the Volcano 7.

terramir

Post by terramir » Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:19 am

ahh yeah but I have a dragon + motherboard I giving away and they have problems with temp controlled fans :(
how about the funnel 60mm to 80 mm adapter any ideas?
terramir

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:15 am

Funnels don't work. Just stick the fan on top, stradding it over the edges if need be. This will reduce noise AND not case CFM loss due to back pressure.
Last edited by MikeC on Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:39 am

MikeC wrote:
Funnels don't work. Just stick the fan on top, stradding it over the edges if need be. This will reduce noise AND not case CFM loss due to back pressure.
Well I've always wondered how a fan's airflow actually works. I mean wouldn't the little round piece (where the motor is) cause a deadspot directly underneath it? Or does the air circulate there anywhere?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:56 am

wouldn't the little round piece (where the motor is) cause a deadspot directly underneath it?
That's the theory, but in practise, I have not seen this to be a real issue. When I have tried to replace a 60mm with an 80mm fan + funnel in any number of HS, I found:

1) To maintain the same level of cooling the 80mm fan must have a higher cfm rating -- this is usually still quieter because it does not have to spin as fast

2) To get BETTER cooling, the 80mm fan has to deliver a lot more cfm than the direct 60mm. Mainly because of back pressure due to the constriction of the airflow channel, I think. Usually ends up being actually noisier.

3) If you have an 80mm that has the same cfm as the 60mm fan, the temp will usually rise.

4) There does not seem to be any significant or consistent difference between using a funnel and simply placing the 80mm fan over the HS -- I usually used a Zalman bracket style "float over"mount so the fan blades were ~1cm from the top of the HS.

Syphon869

Post by Syphon869 » Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:03 am

If a solid funnel causes backpressure, why not cut vents around the base?

I know it sounds dumb, but the point of the funnel is to guide the airflow, not restrict it.