SilverStone Argon AR02 CPU Cooler

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

SilverStone Argon AR02 CPU Cooler

Post by Lawrence Lee » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:23 pm

Mr Spocko

Re: SilverStone Argon AR02 CPU Cooler

Post by Mr Spocko » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:44 am

Looks like a CM TX-3 to me with another name badge :mrgreen:

PFunk

Post by PFunk » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:06 am

Why do you review these coolers but don't bother with the most popular one in the budget segment, the Coolermaster 212 Evo? I personally want to see how things stack up, but again the Evo is conspicuously absent.

thierry.

Post by thierry. » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:23 am

I got this nice little blue in my new PC. Great choice, when I could not fit more than 140mm.

But I got into something strange and wanted to ask your advice : the backplate doesnt seems to align "logically" to the holes of the motherboard.
I have a GA-Z97N-Wifi

It took me quite a long time to figure out the installation. More difficult than with the Kotetsu which was fitting easily.

On the AR02, there are 3 holes on each corner, to fit the different motherboards. I thought to use the ones located in same place, at each corner. But I could not.
See the below picture.
And trust me, I really tried all the possible combinations. Only with that one, the screws are going in without forcing.

In the end, the backplate is a bit tilted. (see the picture)
But of course, in front, it's exactly at the right place, the heatsink is exactly on top of the processor. (Because the 4 holes of the motherboard are obviously at the right place, for the processor mounting.

What do you think of it?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:20 am

thierry -- iirc, that's exactly the only way it fits. Seems illogical at first blush, but probably just because we all tend to think symmetry is better than asymmetry.

thierry.

Post by thierry. » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:45 am

Thanks a lot Mike.
You cannot imagine how much time I spent just to put the backplate, thinking and re-thinking "what is wrong with my fingers!" :lol:

By the way, I like this AR02 cooler.
Compared to the Kotetsu that was installed one day before, in the same case, I found it as quite. (Of course, it fits much better! I can close the case. lol)

The rubber fixation are easy to put (compared to "forcing" the usual metal clips on the fins)

I did not run yet the i5 at max for testing, but it will handle it easily, I guess.