I have to call absolute BS on the SPCR 7890K review

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Nec_V20

I have to call absolute BS on the SPCR 7890K review

Post by Nec_V20 » Sat May 07, 2016 5:17 pm

The review I am talking about is here:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/AMD_A10-7890K

This "review" was BS, actually it was an elevation of BS to the level of PhD (Piled higher&Deeper).

The only time the 7870K is mentioned is in the comparison on page one, after that it is a comparison between the 7890K and the 7860K - apples and oranges anyone?

The comparison should be 7870K vs. 7890K is the "better" (which is still relatively piss-poor) cooler that allows the 7890K to be factory clocked to be 0.2 GHz higher worth the whopping $30?

Answer: HELL NO!

Buy the 7870K if you are not a TOTAL MORON.

End of fricking story.

The article was an excercise in cerebral masturbation only explicable by SPCR getting a pay-off from AMD.

There is no other explanation.

quest_for_silence

Re: I have to call absolute BS on the SPCR 7890K review

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat May 07, 2016 8:59 pm

Nec_V20 wrote:only explicable by SPCR getting a pay-off from AMD.

Lawrence Lee wrote:The A10-7890K is currently the fastest FM2+ processor on the market, though it's barely an improvement over the previous flagship...
...the US$160 price-tag makes the A10-7890K a difficult purchase to justify...
...Every processor line needs a flagship, but at this price, the A10-7890K isn't just a flagship APU, it's a premium APU. The FM2+ platform's greatest strength is its value proposition but AMD has priced the A10-7890K out of the conversation.

AMD should be sort of masochistic to pay for that, shouldn't it?
As well as your above quoted hypothesis looks like a rhetorical device, my question is rhetorical too: I'm done.

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Sun May 08, 2016 8:51 am

Nec_V20 wrote:*snip*
That's some funny stuff. Are you reading the correct review? You know, the one didn't recommend the CPU in question? I especially enjoyed your use of the term cerebral masturbation in a post that was 100% pure unadulterated e-peen.

Also, you drink too much coffee, I suspect. Calm down, dear. :lol:

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 » Sun May 08, 2016 11:36 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:only explicable by SPCR getting a pay-off from AMD.

Lawrence Lee wrote:The A10-7890K is currently the fastest FM2+ processor on the market, though it's barely an improvement over the previous flagship...
...the US$160 price-tag makes the A10-7890K a difficult purchase to justify...
...Every processor line needs a flagship, but at this price, the A10-7890K isn't just a flagship APU, it's a premium APU. The FM2+ platform's greatest strength is its value proposition but AMD has priced the A10-7890K out of the conversation.

AMD should be sort of masochistic to pay for that, shouldn't it?
As well as your above quoted hypothesis looks like a rhetorical device, my question is rhetorical too: I'm done.
I know, I was really angered by the fact that it is a disservice to people to gloss over the fact that there is no real difference between the 7890K and the 7870K except for the price.

The thing is that the review by essentially burying the 7870K in the comparisons made the 7890K look a lot better than it deserves.

If we go by the not unwarranted premise that the 7870K and the 7890K are essentially identical (aside from the 0.2 GHz difference which is very easy to fix) then if the 7870K had been included in the last two purple graphs "Relative CPU performance per dollar" and "Relative CPU+GPU performance per dollar" the 7870K would have ended up with a score of 123 which would have virtually tied it with the Core i5-4690K and would have put it in fourth place instead of the tenth and last place of the 7890K in the first graph and would have placed it in second place ahead of the A10 7860K instead of the seventh place behind the AMD X4 880K in the second graph.

The other thing which should be noted is that the graphics performance of the 7890K/7870K is highly dependant on the RAM in the system. In my own system I have 16GB (2*8GB) of Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz RAM running perfectly stably at 2400MHz at CL11 and 1.65V. I had the system running with 1866 RAM and Diablo III: Reaper of Souls didn't run fluidly. After putting in the 2400 RAM I could play it as well as I could on my 4770K with an R9 280X GPU.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sun May 08, 2016 11:59 am

Nec_V20 wrote:I know, I was really angered by the fact that it is a disservice to people to gloss over the fact that there is no real difference between the 7890K and the 7870K except for the price.
Who cares, they both suck. It's not "Buy the 7870K if you are not a TOTAL MORON. End of fricking story." As Gadgety points out in the thread where the review is discussed, "The A8-7600 was always the sweet spot of the Kaveri APU range."
That the top model is tested is normal. That the 7870K doesn't get mentioned much is probably because it's not very interesting either.

Next time, limit your anger to one thread. Easier for the mods to clean up should they decide to ban your ass. ;)

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:03 pm

Quinnbeast wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:*snip*
That's some funny stuff. Are you reading the correct review? You know, the one didn't recommend the CPU in question? I especially enjoyed your use of the term cerebral masturbation in a post that was 100% pure unadulterated e-peen.

Also, you drink too much coffee, I suspect. Calm down, dear. :lol:
You can read my reply to quest_for_silence above.

The fact of the matter is that the 7870K is an excellent all-rounder if you want a system which is quiet (or in my case silent) and which can handle most tasks thrown at it including the games I like to play.

The 7890K is just a 7870K factory clocked at 0.2 GHz higher and you are essentially paying $30 more for a slightly less pathetic cooler.

The review should have had THAT as its conclusion.

The review itself although it was critical still shed a positive light on the 7890K APU that it just does not deserve, which is why I got so angry at the review. There is absolutely NOTHING to recommend the 7890K above the 7870K.

With regard to coffee you suspect dead wrong. I even drink coffee before going to sleep because I have a blood pressure of 90:60 (after drinking coffee). In fact I was nearly in a psychiatric clinic to be treated for extreme depression because of coffee. What had happened was that over the period of a few weeks I became increasingly unable to function and was apathetic to the point of narcolepsy.

My wife was concerned and made a doctor's appointment for me. The doctor, after examining me referred me to the psychiatric clinic where I was supposed to show up on the following Monday morning.

On that weekend my wife brought home the shopping and when she unpacked I saw the coffee she had bought. I asked her how long she had been buying it for and she said a few weeks. It was caffeine free coffee. Thereupon I went to the shop, bought some normal coffee, made a pot of it, drank it and I was back to my normal self.

So no, the only thing which motivated me to write what I did was the fact that I was incredibly pissed off at the review.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:30 pm

Vicotnik wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:I know, I was really angered by the fact that it is a disservice to people to gloss over the fact that there is no real difference between the 7890K and the 7870K except for the price.
Who cares, they both suck. It's not "Buy the 7870K if you are not a TOTAL MORON. End of fricking story." As Gadgety points out in the thread where the review is discussed, "The A8-7600 was always the sweet spot of the Kaveri APU range."
That the top model is tested is normal. That the 7870K doesn't get mentioned much is probably because it's not very interesting either.

Next time, limit your anger to one thread. Easier for the mods to clean up should they decide to ban your ass. ;)
Actually I care. Sweet spot with regard to what? Performance? I don't frigging think so.

With regard to any measure you care to choose the A10 7870K trounces the A8-7600 by a long way - except price.

Your statement "Who cares, they both suck" tells me that I probably should not seek your council let alone advice with regard to anything computer related.

Your last sentence sounds like a threat which I don't care about. If all you care about is incestuous amplification then not being associated with you is no skin off my nose and does not bother me one whit - or in your case half of it.

edh

Post by edh » Sun May 08, 2016 1:02 pm

...and none of this has anything to do with you having the 7870K?

It's really not the done thing to come on a forum, pick a fight with everyone who disagrees with you then diss the editorial content of the site. Oh, but I forgot: you are right, not arrogant.

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Sun May 08, 2016 1:11 pm

Ah, I get it now. You own a 7870K, and this review mortally offends your testosterone gland. I think you need to deal with that, whatever that is, before you attempt to have a meaningful discussion. Any valid points that you're attempting to make here are kinda getting lost in all the static otherwise. And I'm dead wrong about the coffee? My initial comment was entirely intended in humor, but your wife was right to be concerned; you just admitted to be chronically coffee dependent. You've perfectly described the process of going cold turkey as a result of substance/stimulant withdrawal.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 » Mon May 09, 2016 2:24 pm

Quinnbeast wrote:Ah, I get it now. You own a 7870K, and this review mortally offends your testosterone gland. I think you need to deal with that, whatever that is, before you attempt to have a meaningful discussion. Any valid points that you're attempting to make here are kinda getting lost in all the static otherwise. And I'm dead wrong about the coffee? My initial comment was entirely intended in humor, but your wife was right to be concerned; you just admitted to be chronically coffee dependent. You've perfectly described the process of going cold turkey as a result of substance/stimulant withdrawal.
Wow you just really want to get things as wrong as you possibly can.

The fact that I have one in a system means that I know about it from hands on experience and not just from hearsay.

What cheeses me off is when a review is misleading.

My wife died three months pregnant on the 23rd of August 1997.

With regard to having a low blood pressure coffee is eminently better than the medication I would need to take to raise my blood pressure. I have had two spine operations already and a low blood pressure exacerbates the pain from the Scoliosis, Morbus Scheuermann and spinal arthritis, and the discs pressing onto the spinal nerves, so the coffee also means that I don't have a pain killer dependency, like the ones Prince died of - the most of those I have taken (and they are essentially legalised heroin which is why something like Oxycodone is called "Hillbilly-Heroin") are two in one month.

Now I realise that English is my second language, but I don't think that I have been in any way unclear in anything I have written. I try to avoid weasel words and so it is easy for someone to read and be very clear about what I am saying.

I am autistic (Asperger's) and sometimes I find that the response I get from "normals" is with regard to what they think I wrote based on their interpretations of my motives - just as you have done. The 7870K is the first AMD processor I have used in a build in well over two decades, all the rest have been Intel. It was just that in the case of the build the only way it would work as I envisaged it was with an AMD APU and the best one was and is the 7870K (the 7890K to my mind is a marketdroid scam).

There is an exploit one can use with Intel CPUs to speed up games which is just not possible with an AMD CPU (give you a hint, it involves getting rid of hyperthreading in the BIOS, but is not directly associated with hyperthreading - let's see if you can guess, even remotely, at what I am alluding to, and yes the "go faster stripe" is built into the Windows NT family since 1993).

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Mon May 09, 2016 3:34 pm

Nec_V20 wrote:Wow you just really want to get things as wrong as you possibly can...

... I try to avoid weasel words and so it is easy for someone to read and be very clear about what I am saying.
I guess we understand each other equally well. Your intention to be clear is admirable, but perhaps not working as intended. I've made some unfair assumptions regarding your situation: my apologies for that. But, I can also understand why your version of clarity is leading to confused responses i.e. terms like 'TOTAL MORON' is hardly a counterpoint to 'weasel words'. Your English seems perfectly fine to me, but then I do strive to get things as wrong as I possibly can.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 » Mon May 09, 2016 3:53 pm

Quinnbeast wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:Wow you just really want to get things as wrong as you possibly can...

... I try to avoid weasel words and so it is easy for someone to read and be very clear about what I am saying.
I guess we understand each other equally well. Your intention to be clear is admirable, but perhaps not working as intended. I've made some unfair assumptions regarding your situation: my apologies for that. But, I can also understand why your version of clarity is leading to confused responses i.e. terms like 'TOTAL MORON' is hardly a counterpoint to 'weasel words'. Your English seems perfectly fine to me, but then I do strive to get things as wrong as I possibly can.
Any clue yet on the "go faster stripe" in Windows with an Intel CPU?

I REALLY object when someone quote mines because that usually means that they want to lie through their teeth.

In my original post I said:
Buy the 7870K if you are not a TOTAL MORON.
The two words "TOTAL MORON" are completely encapsulated in that sentence with regard to the reference within the comparison to the 7890K. There was no ambiguity, no sweeping of any dust under any rug, no deceptive use of the conjunctive.

Which frigging part of that sentence did you not understand and when exactly are you going to take a remedial study in English; because the whole "native speaker" thing doesn't seem to be working out too well for you as far as comprehension is concerned.
Last edited by Nec_V20 on Mon May 09, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:22 pm

edh wrote:...and none of this has anything to do with you having the 7870K?

It's really not the done thing to come on a forum, pick a fight with everyone who disagrees with you then diss the editorial content of the site. Oh, but I forgot: you are right, not arrogant.
I forgot ebh, you want everyone to come on the forum and tell you what a great job you have done even when you have made a total arse of it.

Found out yet what "laminar flow" is and what it applies to?

Piece of advice for you, if you don't want to have your head handed to you, then don't impinge on a thread with concepts you don't understand.

The thing is that you try to play at 150% of your game just to be in the conversation and I only need to play at 1% of my game to send you packing.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon May 09, 2016 7:37 pm

another thread that's swirled it's way to my attention...

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue May 10, 2016 8:00 am

OP has been banned for the inability to be civil in threads.

For the rest of the community: Don't feed the flames. Be civil. Take the high road. Don't make personal attacks and ignore those directed at you. Otherwise, there's always Reddit. :)