Noctua's new fans coming

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Noctua's new fans coming

Post by MikeC » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:06 am

NeilBlanchard

Re: Noctua's new fans coming

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:30 am

Interesting! I hope they also have 140mm fans.

Other than the large motor hub, the 120mm fan looks good:

The 200mm fan has a poor angle between the trailing edges of the blades and the struts:

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:02 am

Hope SPCR gets some samples, would like to see how this GT clone does, specially if there is a PWM version. Would be interesting to see them vs the Corsair ML series that were also presented on the Computex, to see if the marketing claims have some truth.

nster

Post by nster » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:04 am

There's a few interesting things at Computex, my favorites being from Be Quiet!

Would definitively love to see SPCR review the Noctua, Be Quiet! and other products that are going to come out in the next few months. Perhaps we should start a donation thread to make it happen? :) If it's possible to get your contacts to send you samples, I'm sure many of us here are willing to chip in! If not, we'll still find a way I'm sure.

The Dark Base Pro 900 (unlike the non-pro, has PWM hub controller thingy) has interesting ways to mount the HDDs, and has a decent amount of modularity. This time, it will come with SilentWings 3 fans, and if they are similar to their 135mm fans (my favourite acoustics in a fan at sub 1000RPMs), it will be an instant buy from me despite the hefty 199/249$ price tag http://www.tomshardware.com/news/be-qui ... 31868.html

The case is slotted to come out in July I think, and the fans are supposed to start selling separately in August.

They are also going with an AIO cooler, which could be interesting for more performance oriented rigs like high OCs or hot hexa or octo-cores. Perhaps it could even become a decent competitor to high-end air coolers for people who were previously forced to stay with air if they wanted quiet

Xyvotha

Post by Xyvotha » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:37 pm

Abula wrote:(...) would like to see how this GT clone does, specially if there is a PWM version.
Heh, I'm not the only one who saw the Gentle Typhoon spirit in these ;)
In Spanish we say "it has an air of..." when something reminds you of another person/object, would be an appropriate pun here :mrgreen:

voriest

Post by voriest » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:46 am

nster wrote:Would definitively love to see SPCR review the Noctua, Be Quiet! and other products that are going to come out in the next few months. Perhaps we should start a donation thread to make it happen? :) If it's possible to get your contacts to send you samples, I'm sure many of us here are willing to chip in! If not, we'll still find a way I'm sure.
I'm quite prepared to donate cash for some reviews. Though I'd be torn between Noctua fans and some of the recently released SFX PSU. Getting a little OT here but I've noticed the donations board has been pretty inactive for a couple of years. Is it still a thing?

Gadgety

Post by Gadgety » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:05 am

I've been waiting forever for the 200mm fans. Announced and to be launched in Q3 in '13, '14, and '15. Maybe four times a charm? I watched their video and at least they're upfront about the troubled development.

Gadgety

Post by Gadgety » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:08 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:
The 200mm fan has a poor angle between the trailing edges of the blades and the struts:

Could you expand on this, as in consequences, speculate on reasons for, and also possibly a comparison with other large fans, like the 180mm, and 220mm fans already in the marketplace?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:48 am

You can get the details from SPCR's anatomy of a silent fan article: http://www.silentpcreview.com/Anatomy_of_the_Silent_Fan

The main idea is that the air flow is being pushed off the trailing edge of each blade, and when the strut is close to the same angle, it interrupts a large portion of the air flow - and this can result in a low frequency beating sound.

When the trailing edges of the blades is close to perpendicular to the strut, the "interruption" is much smaller, and it extends out over a longer period of time, so it doesn't produce a sound pulse. It would have less turbulence - and less turbulence is quieter AND better air flow.
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:14 am

Neil's explanation is good... But funny thing is, we've seen fans that follow this concept & sound good, but others that don't and still sound good. Ditto the converse. This is because strut/blade geometry is only one aspect of overall noise.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:30 am

I should have said - all else being equal. The number of blades, their angle, the RPM, the motor - many factors add sound.

The forward sweep changes how the air moves - and how the air is accelerated.

The advantages of straighter struts is they are shorter and stronger.

Gadgety

Post by Gadgety » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:20 am

Thank you both for your replies! Can't wait for some SPCR testing of this 200mm fan once it's out.