Scythe Ninja 4: A Legend Reborn

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
wayner
Friend of SPCR

Re: Scythe Ninja 4: A Legend Reborn

Post by wayner » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:28 am

My understanding of the higher power requirements of Sky Lake is that this is due to the better GPU and that if you aren't using the GPU then you may not see the higher power consumption. But I guess we won't know until these are released and actually tested.

alecmg

Post by alecmg » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:35 am

wayner wrote:My understanding of the higher power requirements of Sky Lake is that this is due to the better GPU and that if you aren't using the GPU then you may not see the higher power consumption
One leaked review showed that 6700K was using 60W less than 4790K at default clocks.
Perhaps they bumped TDP to 95W because even tho consumption is less, thermal density is actually worse and you need a high-end cooler to deal with it.

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:53 am

xan_user wrote:
Jay_S wrote:When does this get to retail?
everything ive seen said the last week of june... :/
So here we are, middle of September, and no availability on the Ninja 4 at any of SPCR's North American affiliates.

I emailed Scythe USA asking about this and [EDIT - they replied]:
Ninja 4 is currently in shortage but you can find it at below link:

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556103448.html

We apologize for the inconvenience.
Thank you for your inquiry.
Scythe Info
Coolerguys.com has had these for months. Hard to believe they had buying priority over Amazon et al. Maybe Newegg and Amazon have a TON of Ninja 3's in stock.

Bearmann

Post by Bearmann » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:29 pm

The caption under the 5th photo on page 3 states:

The fan hangs over three of our LGA1366 motherboard's six memory slots so RAM with tall heatspreaders may be a source of interference. 46 mm separates the bottom fin of the heatsink and the surface of the motherboard which is enough to comfortably accommodate most VRM heatsinks.

The table at the top of page 4 however lists the approximate clearance as 40mm. The values are not too far off, but is there something that I am missing?

Is G.Skill Ripjaws V not going to work with this cooler? It's listed as 42mm height?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:33 am

Bearmann wrote:Is G.Skill Ripjaws V not going to work with this cooler? It's listed as 42mm height?

As far as I can see, they will fit: by the way, there's also the Ripjaws 4 which is shorter, and there may be other alternatives (I'm thinking to either Crucial Tactical, or Kingston Fury, to be checked).

Bearmann

Post by Bearmann » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:58 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Bearmann wrote:Is G.Skill Ripjaws V not going to work with this cooler? It's listed as 42mm height?

As far as I can see, they will fit: by the way, there's also the Ripjaws 4 which is shorter, and there may be other alternatives (I'm thinking to either Crucial Tactical, or Kingston Fury, to be checked).
Thanks. As far as I can tell, the Ripjaws 4 is only 2mm shorter. I was looking at RAM that was specifically listed as compatible by either the motherboard company or the RAM manufacturer. I was thinking that the Ripjaws is considered standard height RAM, not tall RAM, and would be surprised if a cooler was manufactured which only worked with shorter than standard height RAM. Anyway, the Ripjaws is currently my first choice based on price, speed, latency, etc. The Corsair Vengence LPX is listed at 33mm height, so that would be an option.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:18 am

take the (silly) heatspreader off the ram if it doesn't fit.

Bearmann

Post by Bearmann » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:44 am

xan_user wrote:take the (silly) heatspreader off the ram if it doesn't fit.
Well, I just looked into that option and I see that you need to use a heat gun or a blow torch as demonstrated here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-yODdXsZ1k

:o :o :o ___ :shock: :shock: :shock: ___ :o :o :o

In addition to voiding the warranty, it might be bit too advanced for my first self build :wink:

I think I will be better off finding some low profile memory, if needed.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:04 am

Bearmann wrote:I see that you need to use a heat gun or a blow torch

As far as I know, a good hair dryer will serve you as well, which it likely comes more in handy (though the process could be a tad longer), or you can easily cook the ram sticks in an oven (NOT a micro-wave ones, obviously, around 170-180° at most and for 7-8 minutes).

At any rate, yes, that way you'll loose the warranty, and above all, those are things for experienced users, or just the most brave people. :wink:

Though I am not worried about your DIMMs, I guess you may just order them after having mobo and cooler (so that you'll have the chance to take the exact measures, for extra-safety).

galgo

Post by galgo » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:59 pm

What would be a feasible fan upgrade if i want toOC an i7 2600k? Not to the extreme..but to a stable level?
Would a Noctua A15 pwm or A14 provide a significant benefits over the stock 120mm?
Or at least spin slower and less noise?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:43 pm

galgo wrote:What would be a feasible fan upgrade if i want toOC an i7 2600k? Not to the extreme..but to a stable level?
Would a Noctua A15 pwm or A14 provide a significant benefits over the stock 120mm?

Sandy Bridge is way less hot than Ivy Bridge/Haswell/Skylake, so it doesn't need for any fan upgrade, as the Ninja 4 (as well as the Kotetsu) will cool it fine with the least amount of noise.

At any rate, if you check the SPCR articles about 140mm fans, you'll see as the A14/A15 aren't the best sounding fans around (I'm referring to their noise signature).

galgo

Post by galgo » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:47 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
galgo wrote:What would be a feasible fan upgrade if i want toOC an i7 2600k? Not to the extreme..but to a stable level?

Sandy Bridge is way less hot than Ivy Bridge/Haswell/Skylake, so it doesn't need for any fan upgrade, as the Ninja 4 (as well as the Kotetsu) will cool it fine with the least amount of noise.

At any rate, if you check the SPCR articles about 140mm fans, you'll see as the A14/A15 aren't the best sounding fans around (I'm referring to their noise signature).
Thank you,
Just installed the NINJA 4 with the stock fan - it's one MASSIVE cooler... filling most of the empty space within my Sugo-10...
It's really very silent even with some OC... especially over the stock 120mm case fans...
I think it's worth trying upgrading with a GlideStream 140 PWM... It's cheap enough to try considering the fit is going to be very tight.. if at all... and reuse the stock 120mm instead of one of the case fans...

I'd have love to test one of the new Fanteks 140mm but they are nowhere to be found locally and cost around X3 the SCYTHE.. so...

Thank you for the tip.
Gal

raminux

Post by raminux » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:02 pm

I have been using Scythe Mugen 3 CPU coolers on my Xeons X5670 for the past four years which have been solid performers. Now I want to switch to new coolers for certain reasons and my main contenders are various Thermalright Macho versions (HR-02, grand macho and HR-22) and Scythe Ninja 4. For me, quiet cooling has the uppermost importance (by which I mean a low rpm fan setting but not totally fanless). According to SPCR, Ninja 4 is now the champion of quiet cooling, while larger Thermalright bigger coolers such as HR-22 barely offer an advantage if any over their smaller brother, the HR-02 or Scythe Ninja 4. Other reviews on the other hand, show some advantage for these super-sized heatsinks over HR-02. For example, according to
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... d-Macho-RT,
at a low 600rpm fan speed, there is indeed a significant advantage anywhere from 6C to 11C depending on the cpu's clock speed. This is hard to overlook. I know test methodologies differ but still wondering what causes such different outcomes. Price-wise, Ninja 4 is less expensive as well as having the advantage of its symmetric design. So the choice remains a moderate puzzle for the moment.
Last edited by raminux on Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:32 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

The very short version is it sorta depends on how much heat you are trying to draw from the CPU. Under 100W? You really don't need more than the Kotetsu. Adding more metal / heatpipes / fans is pretty negligible. So, they'll all perform about the same. Over 130W? More pipes, more mass, more fans can help. Note xtremesystems is using a socket 2011 150W CPU. SPCR is using a socket 1366 130W CPU.