Quick question about fan splitters

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tilltech

Quick question about fan splitters

Post by Tilltech » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:06 am

If a MBO has only one 4-pin chassis fan connector, and you want to connect 3 fans to it - 1 120mm and 2 140mm, all PWM, would it be safe and efficient to connect them through this?

The fans would be Silent Wings 3 PWM and the MBO would be Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX.

lodestar

Re: Quick question about fan splitters

Post by lodestar » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:31 am

Yes, that should be OK the Silverstone CPF02 splitter is non-powered but the combined power draw of the three fans is unlikely the exceed the maximum rating of the motherboard PWM fan header. If you would prefer to supply the power to the fans separately and just share the PWM control signal then something like this could be considered.

Tilltech

Post by Tilltech » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:50 am

That's great, thanks.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:59 am

Checking AsRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 manual,
CHA_FAN2 and CHA_FAN3 can auto detect if 3-pin or 4-pin fan is in use.
So either of those headers will auto detect if you plugged a 3pin or 4pin fan, and switch how the motherboard controls them, DC or PWM. So consider this two connectors safe to use your PWM fans.

Now in my experience in the past with AsRock mothebroards, CPU_FAN is also like this, i just didnt find it on the manual, but i would think its the same. Now in my past testing, only two headers were autodetect (like the above) the rest were PWM, so in worst scenario, you can connect all your PWM fans no problem, i would suggest to use CPU_FAN, CHA_FAN2 and CHA_FAN3 as you connectors and work from there. Enter the bios and set your graphs, also check the thermal control there, i always set mine to CPU (it can be also System, but i change it to all react to the CPU).

Now if you want to connect more fans, i would use either of these splitters, as they only use the PWM signal from the motherboard but use the power from your PSU, Criotech PWM fans splitter molex and Swiftech 8W-PWM-SPL-ST 8 Way PWM Splitter-Sata