Is low voltage DDR4 and heatsink helpful for silence

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

Is low voltage DDR4 and heatsink helpful for silence

Post by dan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:35 pm

there's no separate forum for cooling DDR4 memory silently

is it actually sold anywhere i've seen it mentioned on wiki but not seen it on amazon or newegg
Although a low-voltage standard has yet to be finalized (as of August 2014), it is anticipated that low-voltage DDR4 will run at a voltage of 1.05 V, compared to DDR3's low-voltage standard (DDR3L) which requires 1.35 V to operate.[11]
how important are memory heat sinks for memory modules, given nofan cooler doesn't allow for memory heatsinks

edh

Re: Is low voltage DDR4 and heatsink helpful for silence

Post by edh » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:16 pm

They're not that much of a big deal really for actual cooling. They're often not even in good thermal contact with the chips. They are a major marketing tool however, making a very generic looking product (chips on a PCB) have some kind of visual USP.

Really tall ramsinks are particularly silly. Standard height ones I can stand unless they have too much 'OMGWTFFFSFTW' megabollocks marketing across them or stupid dragon graphics for no other reason than giving a spotty 14 year old an erection.

dan

Post by dan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:37 pm

edh wrote:They're not that much of a big deal really for actual cooling. They're often not even in good thermal contact with the chips. They are a major marketing tool however, making a very generic looking product (chips on a PCB) have some kind of visual USP.

Really tall ramsinks are particularly silly. Standard height ones I can stand unless they have too much 'OMGWTFFFSFTW' megabollocks marketing across them or stupid dragon graphics for no other reason than giving a spotty 14 year old an erection.
that's fine. my concern was that some heatpipes like nofan c95 doesn't allow for heatsinks on memory,

that and uses up 2 pci slots and possibly not compatible with many full size atx cases.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:34 am

dan wrote:my concern was that some heatpipes like nofan c95 doesn't allow for heatsinks on memory
NoFan95 allows memory heatsinks, just not tall ones, you can use any standard height memory with standard height heatsinks. This is CamMi build with a NoFan95C and standard height memory with some ezotech copper memory heatsinks,

dan wrote:that and uses up 2 pci slots and possibly not compatible with many full size atx cases.
It should fit in most atx cases, where it might have issues is with mini ITX, but it can be done also. About the 2PCI, i dont think its a big deal either, if you watch the video i posted in the other thread, the GTX1080Ti on 8x was not crippled at all, so that means any GPU on the market will be fine also.

dan

Post by dan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:14 am

shame this forum doesn't allow thanks, i would click like post

yeah nofan allow memory heat spreaders, but i was thinking of the heat sinks on some sites, with the fins on top.

i wasn't thinking so much a video card, as i would prefer cpu+gpu APU solution, one that can hopefully drive 4k if not 8k display

the nice thing about nofan is it allows you to build a 2017 atx version of the mac g4 cube, so to speak. which was fanless work of art. a dual chamber cube like case with seasonic fanless atx psu + nofan for cpu

i would prefer to use pci slots for ssd memory, maybe wireless ac, maybe high end sound card, maybe more usb ports

its a shame nofan doesn't introduce a model inbetween nofan80 and nofan95, possibly with a vapor chamber cooler, where the heat pipes are arranged more vertically in a squarish configuration
rather than round, and with aluminum fans sticking off the heat pipes

i'm thinking a cpu attached to a vapor chamber and this vapor chamber is then connected to heat pipes, which have aluminum fans in a squarish design that leaves 2 pci slots open

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:01 am

I get what you are trying to do, personally i think its an overkill, but there are workaround to the inconviniences that NoFan95C brings.
i would prefer to use pci slots for ssd memory, maybe wireless ac, maybe high end sound card, maybe more usb ports
Lets address each of your desired extras,

1) Wireless AC
There are motherboards that come embeded with it, its not that hard to get. Here are four options, including the mighty taichi that has been reviewed as one of the best ryzen boards by techpowerup.
ASRock X370 Taichi
ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac
ASRock Fatal1ty X370
ASUS CROSSHAIR VI HERO (WI-FI AC)

2) USB Ports
You can use the 2 PCIe slots that are blocked by the NoFan95C with 2 Port USB 2.0 Rear Bracket Extension for PC Motherboard - 12" you can even get extensions to route the cables easier like Duttek 1M/3.3Ft 10 Pin Motherboard PCB Cable Male to Female Header Extender Extension Dupont Jumper Wires Cable (10Pin M/F), it can be done with USB3 also but a little more complicated.

3) Dedicated Sound Card
You should have at least 5 PCIe slots free for you to install it.

4) PCIe SSDs
Same as the above you still have 4 PCIe slots free. Intel PCIe SSDs are imo the best in the market, just expensive, but if i ever go pure PCI this is what i would buy, Intel 750 Series AIC 400GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEDMW400G4X1. Some motherboards allow to use the U.2 standard, that its to connect a PCIe SSD through the U.2 connector, also intel has a very nice product, that could be a good option for a very low airflow setup like you are planning as it has its own heatsink, Intel 750 Series 2.5" 400GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPE2MW400G4X1, remember to use this you need U.2 port, here are two that come with it, MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM and GIGABYTE AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming 5

dan

Post by dan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:13 am

if i could click like on your post i would lol.

i actually have a usb 2.0 card with 4 parts, very small.

the reason for pci ssd is speed, though i imagine they run hot.

the thermalright solutions also look good.

dual chamber isn't a must, but it seems to me to be a good way to isolate heat from PSU from motherboard
isn't that what dual chamber is for?

seasonic fanless though requires the vents facing up