Test of two Nofan fanless CPU coolers

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Asiram

Test of two Nofan fanless CPU coolers

Post by Asiram » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:28 am

I had the Nofan CR-95C Copper fanless cooler for a while now, and received the Nofan CR-100A cooler in mail today. Both coolers have been advertised to be able to cool 95-100W TDP processors.

I have been using the CR-95C Copper with my i5 3470 processor for a while now. In Prime95 load test, the CPU would top out at around 65-67C after 10 minutes of load and stay at the same temperature for as long as I run the test. The ambient temps were around 23C. I stopped after 2 hours since I didn't record temperatures going any higher since the 10 minute mark. I find it really impressive for a completely fanless cooler. I know 3470 is a mid-range non-OC processor, and most people would say you couldn't cool passively an overclocked i7, but they'd be probably wrong!

I installed the slightly bigger, but shorter in height, CR-100A today. And in the same test, temperatures would top out at 59-61C! That's 6C lower than the copper cooler.
In real-world applications like games and web browsing, I usually don't exceed 50C on the CR-95C Copper. The CR-100A so far under normal workloads has stayed around 48C, which is unbelievable for me.

I am fairly impressed at how well this thing performs. I'll be upgrading to an 3570k in the future, and I am excited to see if I can get temps under 80C under torture loads of Prime95! I strongly encourage more people to test out fanless products from this company. I am just a normal user who loves silence, I'm not paid to advertise them or anything.

Those coolers have many inconveniences in terms of practicality, as they're huge and require shorter RAM sticks, obstruct first PCiE slot and need a big case to fit (or an open air bench). But for those who pursue silence while not sacrificing performance, I strongly suggest to hop on the Nofan board!

Here is a picture of how the CR-100A looks before and after installation. I'm getting a open-air case soon, pay no attention to the ghetto setting I provided. Hope you enjoy the beauty of this cooler as much as I do!

The GPU for now is a passive GT 1030 from MSI. Good enough for the games I run now. I'll be upgrading to a gtx 1060/2060 with Accelero S3 fanless heatsink somewhere in the future.

kinkinkijkin

Re: Test of two Nofan fanless CPU coolers

Post by kinkinkijkin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:18 am

effective but... will they actually fit in any real, existing case?

Asiram

Post by Asiram » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:38 am

CR-95C fits in my old NZXT 630 case, but I took the motherboard out cause it's easier to swap things this way.
CR-100A would be much harder to fit.

casetronic

Post by casetronic » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:11 am

Whoa...how much wider is the radius of the CR-100 vs the CR-95?

I currently run the CR-95 on an intel 2500k, will be upgrading to a Ryzen 1700 but NoFan doesn't have an AM4 bracket, gonna have to jerry-rig something up.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:22 pm

casetronic wrote:I currently run the CR-95 on an intel 2500k, will be upgrading to a Ryzen 1700 but NoFan doesn't have an AM4 bracket, gonna have to jerry-rig something up.
There are some asus motherboards that have both AM3 and AM4 mounts, you might be able to mount it on those motherboards.