Interested in a Ryzen - Fanless System

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

habusho

Interested in a Ryzen - Fanless System

Post by habusho » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:10 pm

I'm interested in a fanless build for my office and was really interested in the AMD Ryzen chips for the performance they offer for the money. I've heard that a more suitable CPU from AMD for SFFs is coming out soon, is that true?

The system is going to be used for regular office duties but also Adobe Premiere Pro processing which really brings the current system to its knees.

I was looking at the Seacom DB4 which looks like a beautiful case and wanted to build a system around it. What's the ideal CPU to use with this case? Would an AMD threadripper CPU work? I'd like to make this system a little bit future proof if possible.

Any input or advice appreciated.

CA_Steve

Re: Interested in a Ryzen - Fanless System

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:29 pm

The DB4 case will accept a 65W TDP CPU...with an option to upgrade to a 110W CPU. There is no option for GPU cooling, so you'll need a CPU with integrated GPU. Unfortunately, the Ryzen and Threadripper parts are CPU only. The Intel i5-8400 (6 cores, 6 threads, 65W, integrated GPU) is a possibility as is the i7-8700 (6 cores/12 threads, 65W). The latter might run a little hot with sustained editing/rendering/transcoding and the std. 4 heatpipes.

Another thing to consider, Premiere Pro can make use of GPU for acceleration. So, a dedicated gfx card might be considered.

habusho

Post by habusho » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Thanks for the help.
So, no way to add an active GPU to this system and make it work with a threadripper?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:42 pm

If you want a setup without a dedicated GPU, build arround a i7 8700K, it will compete with ryzen 1700.

Now if you want still fanless build with ryzen and dedicated gpu, then consider something like Calyos FANLESS PC / Workstation

habusho

Post by habusho » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:24 pm

Abula wrote:If you want a setup without a dedicated GPU, build arround a i7 8700K, it will compete with ryzen 1700.

Now if you want still fanless build with ryzen and dedicated gpu, then consider something like Calyos FANLESS PC / Workstation
Yes, but I've read a user online who used this GPU with his Ryzen CPU: http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdeti ... E&lang=eng

Wouldn't this work with a Ryzen Threadripper too?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:49 pm

habusho wrote:Yes, but I've read a user online who used this GPU with his Ryzen CPU: http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdeti ... E&lang=eng
I'm not too sure the link works, when i click it goes to a 470 that has a fan. The only i remember from sapphire fanless is the ULTIMATE R7 250 1G D5, and it should work.
habusho wrote:Wouldn't this work with a Ryzen Threadripper too?
Any recent videocard, 16x PCIe dedicated GPU should work with Ryzen or Coffee Lake or even Threadripper, its a standard that all comply into. Atm im building a AMD Threadripper 1950x with a MSI GTX1030 fanless, but its just a place holder until volta, its more a capture/render/editing workstation, but it wont be fanless, im just trying to make it as quiet as i can without sacrificing performance.

habusho

Post by habusho » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:38 am

I saw a post online where a person built a system using an AMD 1700 with a Sapphire Pulse ITX RX 570 4GD5.
He under-volted the GPU. He removed the stock fan on the GPU and mounted the Streacom heatpipe on it and it seemed to work perfectly. I was thinking of doing something similar.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:56 am

habusho wrote:I saw a post online where a person built a system using an AMD 1700 with a Sapphire Pulse ITX RX 570 4GD5.
He under-volted the GPU. He removed the stock fan on the GPU and mounted the Streacom heatpipe on it and it seemed to work perfectly. I was thinking of doing something similar.
I dont see why it wouldnt work, you are undervolting the card, might also need to underclock (depends on your silicone lotery if it can stand without underclocking). Again depends on your needs and what you are trying to accomplish.

As an option, if you go away from the steacom idea, and you still want a fanless gpu, check Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:20 pm

There's also HDPLEX. Be sure to see the supported motherboard list for all of these cases...sometimes the CPU placement isn't where it needs to be in order to work with the case and heatpipes.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:51 am

CA_Steve wrote:... you'll need a CPU with integrated GPU. Unfortunately, the Ryzen and Threadripper parts are CPU only. ...
For now, yes. Raven Ridge (Ryzen with integrated Radeon GPU) will be out in a few months.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:51 am

Olle P wrote:For now, yes. Raven Ridge (Ryzen with integrated Radeon GPU) will be out in a few months.
Call it a Feb launch for desktop Raven Ridge. Then add another two months to let the usual bug fixes/BIOS updates/driver updates settle out. So, sure. If the OP wants to wait two months and be a beta tester, or 4 months for a mainstream solution, then there's a possible kick ass AMD APU. However, he may still want a discrete gfx card for Premiere Pro acceleration.

zdb

Post by zdb » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:57 pm

habusho wrote:I'm interested in a fanless build for my office and was really interested in the AMD Ryzen chips ... I was looking at the Seacom DB4 which looks like a beautiful case and wanted to build a system around it. What's the ideal CPU to use with this case? Would an AMD threadripper CPU work?
The Streacom DB4 is a mini-ITX case. Threadrippers are huge processors. As far as I know, all X399 motherboards that have the required TR4 socket (and 8 DIMM slots, and 64 PCIe lanes, and ...) are EATX or ATX. I haven't even seen a uATX X399. Threadripper and DB4 are at opposite ends of the spectrum. It is almost inconceivable that there will ever be a TR4 on a mini-ITX motherboard of any kind... it's just too big.

As of January 2018, about the best you are going to do (without modding) is a Ryzen 7 1700 (8 cores/16 threads) or Ryzen 5 1600 (6 cores/12 threads). Both have a 65W TDP and can dissipate that heat via bonding to a single case panel using the stock cooling blocks and heat pipes that come with the DB4.

Having said that, some folks — who have tried to make a Ryzen 7 1700 work — have found the stock cooling system to be inadequate, and have had to add the LH6 Heat Pipe Kit — increasing the number of heat pipes from the CPU from 4 to 6 and conducting the heat to two panels instead of just one.

If you want a Ryzen 5 1600X, Ryzen 7 1700X or Ryzen 7 1800X then your TDP blows out to 95W and you have no option but to get the LH6 (or a third-party heat pipe solution).

If you want to OC any of the above, then you're on your own. The LH6 is only rated for up to 110W so simply won't cope — and that just leaves modding (bend your own heat pipes and/or cut the case open to add fans).

Even if you get a CPU that works, what about the GPU? Currently the best you can slot in is a GT 1030. If you're willing to pull the shroud, fan, and heatsink off your GPU then you can get Streacom's GPU Cooling Kit for the DB4 and bond a GTX 1050 or 1050 Ti to the adjacent panel and dump 75W out of the case that way. If you want a GTX 1060 (120W) or higher — forget about it.

Remember: The DB4 is only 26x26x27cm in size — there's only so much surface area available to act as a radiator, and very limited space inside for plumbing. You can 'easily' make Ryzen 5 1600 / GeForce GT 1030 work. Ryzen 7 1700 / GeForce GTX 1050(Ti) requires some coaxing. Serious modding is the only way you can go beyond that.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:06 am

zdb wrote:... If you want to OC any of the above, then you're on your own. ...
I suppose water cooling with an external convector is the way to go for proper cooling.
Might allow for some more powerful GPU as well...

zdb

Post by zdb » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:28 am

Olle P wrote:I suppose water cooling with an external convector is the way to go for proper cooling.
Might allow for some more powerful GPU as well...
Sure, but water cooling means pumps and pumps mean noise. If they're happy to settle for quiet instead of silent, that's an option.

I actually really like the look of the DB4, and have been itching to upgrade (from) my P180 for a while, so I placed an order for the case earlier today. I'm going to try get a Ryzen 5 1600 / GeForce GTX 1050 Ti into the thing. I plan on using a B350 motherboard so I at least have access to OC tools and can undervolt the CPU if the LH6 isn't up to the task (or enable power-saving mode in the UEFI). An email from Streacom yesterday said that the GPU Kit (only announced a week ago) might take a little while to become available down under, but that's fine — I'm not in a rush.

The case alone is AU$380, so I may as well do it justice and go for total silence.

My current setup averages about 35dB and air gently flowing through the case is the only noticeable noise, so the complete elimination of (non-convection) air flow is my goal. No compromises! ;)