Need to identify quieter CPU fan model for this "fanless" PC

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fab002

Need to identify quieter CPU fan model for this "fanless" PC

Post by fab002 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi,

I recently (probably foolishly) purchased a "fanless" small form factor PC for firewall duties. Of course it comes with a noisy 50mm (?) fan. Images are here:

https://imgur.com/a/14l1x

I believe this is a mini-ITX mobo with an Intel nm70 (?) chipset and a Haswell era i5 4200U processor. Can anyone tell me what kind of fan I should be searching for to replace the current noisy one in this thing? Is this a "blower" fan?

Thanks in advance,

Stu

NeilBlanchard

Re: Need to identify quieter CPU fan model for this "fanless

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:10 am

Hello Stu & welcome to SPCR,

Yes, that is a blower type fan. It pulls air in through those three slots on the side, and blows it out through the opening on the edge of the case. Can you post a picture of the system, so we can see how the fan is used?

fab002

Post by fab002 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:36 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello Stu & welcome to SPCR,

Yes, that is a blower type fan. It pulls air in through those three slots on the side, and blows it out through the opening on the edge of the case. Can you post a picture of the system, so we can see how the fan is used?
Thanks Neil,

Images showing the case, the mobo in the case and the heatsink/fan shroud partly reassembled are at:

https://imgur.com/a/k3BJl

Thanks,

Stu

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:35 pm

That won't be easy to find a replacement for - let alone know whether it is quieter, or not. Are there restrictions on the air flow - and if there is a grill on the exhaust air, could it be opened up? Does the fan vary it's RPM with temperature?

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:33 am

As far as I can see the black mesh on the inside of the vents could be removed (by well applied force) to ease the ventilation.

fab002

Post by fab002 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:42 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:That won't be easy to find a replacement for - let alone know whether it is quieter, or not. Are there restrictions on the air flow - and if there is a grill on the exhaust air, could it be opened up? Does the fan vary it's RPM with temperature?
Thanks Neil -- I'll definitely open up whatever grills I can but I think I might be putting this one down to experience on buying from Aliexpress without getting some kind of written confirmation about what "fanless" means.

Stu

fab002

Post by fab002 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:42 pm

Olle P wrote:As far as I can see the black mesh on the inside of the vents could be removed (by well applied force) to ease the ventilation.
Good point -- thanks.

Stu