Streacom FC5 Evo, and HDPLEX H5 chassis comparison

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

WildWhite

Streacom FC5 Evo, and HDPLEX H5 chassis comparison

Post by WildWhite » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:12 am

Hello,

I am wondering here if anyone has had experience with either of these two case chassis for silent builds. The streacom doesnt seem to offer the 8 pipe support that the HDPLEX has, but is that only the cpu mount? Either way I would like to get away with 8 heat pipes.

In short, I would like to do the Streacom FC5 Evo because it has a cd drive, and larger heat fins. But which one is really more effective in cooling?

Im hoping to do a Ryzen 1700 or 1600 with a GTX 1060/1050, im just not sure what case would have more effective cooling.

Fully Silent PCs
-- Vendor --

Re: Streacom FC5 Evo, and HDPLEX H5 chassis comparison

Post by Fully Silent PCs » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:01 am

Hi,

I have worked with HDPlex's H5 case, which performs very well cooling processors and graphics cards.

The Streacom case not only doesn't allow 8 heatpipes with the mount, but there also isn't much space on the side of the case to attach the heatpipes to. I think you would also have difficulty fitting a full sized graphics card in the FC5, since I only see one slot on the case.

I think you would have more luck with the Streacom FC10, although I don't think either Streacom case has larger fins than the HDPlex. As far as I've seen, the HDPlex has the best fanless cooling system. You could also fit a CD drive in the HDPlex, but you would have to swing the front panel open to use it.

grant2

Post by grant2 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:09 am

H5 has hidden optical drive bay.

You should also consider do you really need an optical drive..? I haven't used one in literally 5 years, but that's just me.

Only advantage I see from the FC5 is it's slimmer, but if you have a graphicss card you need that space anyways ... sounds like you should pick based on whether you are CPU only or CPU + GPU

WildWhite

Post by WildWhite » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Fully Silent PCs wrote:Hi,

I have worked with HDPlex's H5 case, which performs very well cooling processors and graphics cards.

The Streacom case not only doesn't allow 8 heatpipes with the mount, but there also isn't much space on the side of the case to attach the heatpipes to. I think you would also have difficulty fitting a full sized graphics card in the FC5, since I only see one slot on the case.

I think you would have more luck with the Streacom FC10, although I don't think either Streacom case has larger fins than the HDPlex. As far as I've seen, the HDPlex has the best fanless cooling system. You could also fit a CD drive in the HDPlex, but you would have to swing the front panel open to use it.
Streacom also has vapor cooling copper pipes, and HDPLEX doesnt, any idea where to get those? All I would have to do is get the correct lenght and bend them. Otherwise I think I am set on the HDPLEX. I would go for an airtop, but its hardware is dated, and I might as well get the latest, along with versatility.

WildWhite

Post by WildWhite » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:45 pm

grant2 wrote:H5 has hidden optical drive bay.

You should also consider do you really need an optical drive..? I haven't used one in literally 5 years, but that's just me.

Only advantage I see from the FC5 is it's slimmer, but if you have a graphicss card you need that space anyways ... sounds like you should pick based on whether you are CPU only or CPU + GPU

Streacom also has vapor cooling copper pipes, and HDPLEX doesnt, any idea where to get those? All I would have to do is get the correct lenght and bend them. Otherwise I think I am set on the HDPLEX. I would go for an airtop, but its hardware is dated, and I might as well get the latest, along with versatility.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:13 am

WildWhite wrote:Streacom also has vapor cooling copper pipes, and HDPLEX doesnt
?
The phase change from liquid to vapor and back is how all heatpipes work. Heat from CPU/GPU causes the liquid to turn to vapor, rising to the end of the pipe, where it's cooled by the heatsink, returns to liquid form, and recycles to the bottom of the tube.

grant2

Post by grant2 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:55 pm

WildWhite wrote:Streacom also has vapor cooling copper pipes, and HDPLEX doesnt,
Why do you think this?

I saw a picture of a HDPlex heatpipe cut open and it contained the normal wick material inside (basically a copper powder)

There's a few specialty stores online which sell heat pipes online, but I'd be surprised if you get much better performance than what HDPlex ships. If you feel like you need better performance than what the included 8 heat pipes are able to offer, then you will probably need to like a different kind of solution entirely.

Gnubyte

Post by Gnubyte » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:19 am

I do have both if these cases.
FC5 with 4770S delided
H5 with delided 6700K + GTX 750ti
H5 with AMD Ryzen R7 + GTX 1060

H5 clearly wins.

I Can post some pictures if needed.

Gnubyte

Post by Gnubyte » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:22 am

H5 does have vapor pipes too. Same kind of pipe than FC5.

Gnubyte

Post by Gnubyte » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:27 am

H5 seems much more adapted tout R7 1700 processors.