PC upgrade/downsize to m-ATX

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

plundh

PC upgrade/downsize to m-ATX

Post by plundh » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:35 pm

My Silverstone FT02 has served me well for 7 years, but it's time to switch to something smaller and lighter, while hopefully still keeping it quiet. I work mostly with Photoshop and 3D modelling/rendering (GPU), but also some gaming.

I plan to get new
i7 8700K @ stock
960 EVO SSD
Asus Strix Z370-G Gaming

... while keeping my old
GTX 980 Ti Super JetStream
WD Red WD30EFRX 3TB
HyperX Fury 2666MHz 32GB

... but have questions regarding:
Define C Mini: This looks like a great choice - or is there anything better? And is the glass windowed version noisier? I was planning on sticking 3 NF-P14s redux fans in there.

Scythe Kotetsu: My current cooler - this was an obvious choice a few years ago. Is there anything new that's worth upgrading to, or should I just keep it?

Seasonic X-650: This one has been in constant service for 7 years. I've read some places that PSU's deteriorate. Would this be a good opportunity to upgrade? Would I even notice any kind of difference by upgrading to the newer Prime's or another PSU?

All comments or ideas appreciated! :D

CA_Steve

Re: PC upgrade/downsize to m-ATX

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:42 pm

plundh wrote: Define C Mini: This looks like a great choice - or is there anything better? And is the glass windowed version noisier? I was planning on sticking 3 NF-P14s redux fans in there.
It's a good choice. Don't think you'll notice any difference between windowed or not. Note the rear fan fits a 120mm.
plundh wrote:Scythe Kotetsu: My current cooler - this was an obvious choice a few years ago. Is there anything new that's worth upgrading to, or should I just keep it?
For stock, it'd work fine. You might get a few degrees cooler with a more massive cooler. But really, the gfx card noise will be heard over any CPU cooler. Try the Kotetsu and see. You can always upgrade.
plundh wrote:Seasonic X-650: This one has been in constant service for 7 years. I've read some places that PSU's deteriorate. Would this be a good opportunity to upgrade? Would I even notice any kind of difference by upgrading to the newer Prime's or another PSU?
You'd get a few watts less power use at desktop loads and maybe 20W less with a Titanium rated Prime supply over the current Gold. Deterioration? <shrug> maybe some. caps degrade over time and temp.

plundh

Post by plundh » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:45 am

CA_Steve wrote:It's a good choice. Don't think you'll notice any difference between windowed or not. Note the rear fan fits a 120mm.
Ah, you're right!
For stock, it'd work fine. You might get a few degrees cooler with a more massive cooler. But really, the gfx card noise will be heard over any CPU cooler. Try the Kotetsu and see. You can always upgrade.
True, but the GPU fans are turned off 95% of the time. Guess I'll try and see.
You'd get a few watts less power use at desktop loads and maybe 20W less with a Titanium rated Prime supply over the current Gold. Deterioration? <shrug> maybe some. caps degrade over time and temp.
I was mostly wondering about noise, but there wouldn't be a difference worth paying 150$ for I guess.

Thanks!

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:04 am

If you can notice PSU noise with the new build, then there are always newer options that don't cost $150.

Derek Semeraro

Post by Derek Semeraro » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:18 pm

While M-ATX is smaller than ATX, it's maybe only a 20% improvement in compactness at best.

If you want a machine that's truly a downsize worth your time, go for the ITX. The Fractal Design Nano S is good.

LongJan

Post by LongJan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:20 am

The Fractal Design Nano S is good
Really?
It’s bigger than some mATX cases still airflow to gfx-card is blocked by the PSU.