Need advice for new build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Need advice for new build

Post by JVM » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:38 pm

I am looking at upgrading my E8400 Core Duo 2 to Intel i5 either 8500 or 8600 (3.0-3.1). I believe they both TDP is 65 watts. I need advice for motherboard and cooling. I presently have a Sythe Ninja but will go with something else for new build. I will be using SSD hard drive. Graphics card just an Nvidia 1030 passive. I don't game on computer, except for chess.

I am thinking about Fractal R5 for new build. I have an Enermax MODU 500 watt PSU in my present case and expect that will go in new build. It's old but unless there is a reason not to use it--it's going in new case.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Abula

Re: Need advice for new build

Post by Abula » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:18 pm

JVM wrote:I am looking at upgrading my E8400 Core Duo 2 to Intel i5 either 8500 or 8600 (3.0-3.1). I believe they both TDP is 65 watts. I need advice for motherboard and cooling. I presently have a Sythe Ninja but will go with something else for new build.
For motherboards, i would recommend for MSI Z370 GAMING PLUS, if you wan to gamble/beta test the new H370 go with MSI H370 GAMING PLUS its a very similar motherboard, both come with intel nic, one M.2 ssd. A little better overall, with better outs for video MSI Z370 GAMING M5

For cooling, depends on how much you willing to spend, the good value for the money are Scythe Mugen 5 revB and Thermalright Macho RevB. If you are willing to spend a little more Thermalright LeGrandMacho.
JVM wrote: Graphics card just an Nvidia 1030 passive. I don't game on computer, except for chess.
If you are not gaming, i would recommend to avoid getting the GT1030, intel iGPU on the 8600 will allow you to do anything but gaming. You can always add an MSI GeForce GT 1030, later on if you feel the intel iGPU isnt enough for you. Now if you go with intel iGPU, check the motherboard video outs before buying it, as not all have the same, the Plus has HDMI/DVI/VGA while the M5 has DP/HMDI (i prefer this).

Once you settle on the motherboard, buy memory that its on the QVL list to avoid incompatibility. In case you like the M5, im running mine with Crucial 32GB DDR4 2666 MHz DIMM Memory Module Kit (2 x 16GB) with no issues, you can buy less memory, i just found the kit on a sale so went with 32.
JVM wrote:I am thinking about Fractal R5 for new build.
The Define R6 was released a couple of months ago, seems like a very nice upgrade, you can get it with Glass or solid panels. But if you not planning on having any mechanical hdds, i would suggest to take a look into Define C, its a more compact case than the R5 with really good and easy cable managemnt, with better airflow (no cages on the front) and you still can have mechanical if you wish (only 2).
JVM wrote:I will be using SSD hard drive.
For SSDs not sure if you are going to be re using your intels, or you going with new? In case you going with new, i would recommend to take a look into Samsung 960 Evo, a very good NVME M.2 drive, or if you want mass storage on ssd look into Micron 1100 2TB

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:55 am

Thank you for the very helpful recommendations. My present SSD (2) connect via PSU and not PCI Express. I didn't see a link to that QVL list.

Seems like the define C would do alright as I don't use mechanical HDDs, though no tray for optical drive. I could go USB for optical drive if necessary. Right now I have Windows 10 Home from free upgrade of Windows 7. So I guess buying Windows 10 will be necessary--I believe the free upgrade is only on current computer and different MB will not be compatible.

Yes, I guess going with onboard graphics will do as the only game I play on computer is chessmaster, probably onboard audio would work as well.

I think the Fractal Define C has dust filters. What is your feeling about using dust filters? I have a dust filter in my present case, just wondering what you think about it.

The MSI seems like a good choice for MB, not sure right now which one, but 2370 Plus looks good enough. Good cooling choices and thinking about Noctura as well. What do you think of https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Premium-C ... nocturaone and https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-U9S-Pr ... ds=noctura one?

Also, I believe the Fractal R5 and maybe R6 include a fan control, the Define C doesn't show it so would a Fanmate be necessary? I have one in my present setup.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:30 am

JVM wrote:... My present SSD (2) connect via PSU and not PCI Express.
:?: I suppose you mean it's SATA (powered by the PSU)?
JVM wrote:... Right now I have Windows 10 Home from free upgrade of Windows 7. So I guess buying Windows 10 will be necessary -- I believe the free upgrade is only on current computer and different MB will not be compatible.
The licensing for Windows 10 (all versions but "Enterprise") is such that it's tied to the motherboard (like the OEM licenses of prior Windows).
Since this is essentially a new computer you will need a new license.
(Nowadays the only difference between "OEM" and "Full" Windows license is who's providing support.)
JVM wrote:I think the Fractal Define C has dust filters. What is your feeling about using dust filters? I have a dust filter in my present case, just wondering what you think about it.
In my home dust filters are mandatory, and the ones provided with computer cases are barely efficient enough to catch the dust. They do reduce the airflow a bit though.

Ripping off the front panel to clean the filter on (my son's) Define C every now and then doesn't feel as good as opening the front hatch on my P183. It's okay though. And once the front panel is off it's a breeze to pull out the filter from the bottom of the case.
JVM wrote:The MSI seems like a good choice for MB, not sure right now which one, but 2370 Plus looks good enough. ...
You could check out the B360 options as well. Can't give any reason why you'd want to spend more money to have unused features...

Another option, depending on what you will actually use the computer for, could be to have a look at "the red team": Ryzen 5 2400G seems like a very nice option these days and something I'd definitely consider if building a "lighter use" computer myself. Paired with a B350 motherboard it will give Intel a good match in price/performance.
JVM wrote:Also, I believe the Fractal R5 and maybe R6 include a fan control, the Define C doesn't show it so would a Fanmate be necessary? I have one in my present setup.
Fan control is done in the UEFI on your motherboard. No extra hardware required.
With your low power setup a single exhaust fan should be sufficient. If air filtering is required you could use two intake fans at the front instead.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:07 am

Olle P wrote:
JVM wrote:... My present SSD (2) connect via PSU and not PCI Express.
:?: I suppose you mean it's SATA (powered by the PSU)?

You know it's been so long since I installed them that I have to say, probably.

Sounds like it's a real chore to get at the front filter.

"You could check out the B360 options as well. Can't give any reason why you'd want to spend more money to have unused features...

Another option, depending on what you will actually use the computer for, could be to have a look at "the red team": Ryzen 5 2400G seems like a very nice option these days and something I'd definitely consider if building a "lighter use" computer myself. Paired with a B350 motherboard it will give Intel a good match in price/performance."

I will check into those, thanks for the heads up.

"With your low power setup a single exhaust fan should be sufficient. If air filtering is required you could use two intake fans at the front instead."

Well, with the open space in back for a fan, I's probably do what I'm doing now, one fan in back and one in front. The front filter in present case does catch a fair amount of dust, so I'm probably better off using a filter there.

Which cooler do you think would work well for my setup with an i5 8500 or 8600 (3.0/3.1)?

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:57 am

I don't know anything about the company, but https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6813157793 MB seems like a good choice. What do you guys think?

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:02 am

Asrock is Asus' budget oriented brand. Really good price/performance!