Any recommendations for a silent graphic card?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Lucas Malor

Any recommendations for a silent graphic card?

Post by Lucas Malor » Thu May 10, 2018 12:41 pm

Hello all. I would buy a silent graphic card. My case is a closed box, without space for fans. I would spend no more than 150$, Can you suggest me?

CA_Steve

Re: Any recommendations for a silent graphic card?

Post by CA_Steve » Thu May 10, 2018 2:29 pm

If I recall, you are in Italy? The highest performance card with lowest power use in that range would be the GTX 1050...roughly 140-150 euros - a bit above your target price.

What is this no fan closed case? Does it have capability for heatpipe connection to the GPU...or what other method will you use for cooling?

Heck, what's your application - maybe you don't even need this much graphics horsepower and a passive GT 1030 will do.

Lucas Malor

Post by Lucas Malor » Fri May 11, 2018 12:34 pm

Hello Steve, thank you again for your past recommendations.
CA_Steve wrote:What is this no fan closed case? Does it have capability for heatpipe connection to the GPU...or what other method will you use for cooling?
No one. It's a case with some little holes and that's all.
CA_Steve wrote:Heck, what's your application
Honestly I'm not an hard gamer, but recently I bought Trine on GOG and I decided to upgrade my ancient pc. Anyway I don't want to be too much cheap, and I'm interested in GTX 1050. How much RAM do you suggest?

PS: what do you think about Radeon RX 550?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri May 11, 2018 1:05 pm

The GTX 1050 is ~50% faster than the RX 550. Here's a review of the RX 550 with some game benchmarks.

I only found one (non-YouTube) review of Trine 3. He's using a GTX 970 and averaging 97fps @ 1080p. So, you'd need to seriously deflate his fps numbers to get a feel for your card...call it 70% faster than the GTX 1050...gives ~57fps. Carrying this further...and this is really a big swag....RX 550 = 38fps ave...the min's might be fairly low.

Video RAM: depends on your monitor resolution and how memory intensive the games are... In general, I'd say go for 2GB if RX 550 and go for 4GB if GTX 1050.

Lucas Malor

Post by Lucas Malor » Tue May 15, 2018 3:51 am

Thank you, in the end I bought a Gigabyte GTX1050 (GV-N1050WF2OC-2GD). I hope it's a good version of GTX1050, it should arrive today. Thank you again.

I have another question, but I open a new thread.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Tue May 15, 2018 10:48 am

Good choice. Like most GTX 1050s the fans will stay off under idle/low stress conditions. The Gigabyte Xtreme Engine software (available as a free download from Gigabyte) includes an Eco Mode/Silent option to minimize fan speeds. There is also an advanced user option which will allow a degree of manual control e.g. moving the point at which the fans turn on to a higher temperature setting.