Small PSUs

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Abula

Small PSUs

Post by Abula » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:12 am

For me PSU is one of the most important things to build quietly, but form time to time, i try to build challenging builds into smaller factors, and finding good PSU there in the past was tough, but with more proposals on cases from the manufacturers more PSU are showing.

I seen for some time the Seasonic focus Gold line, even recommended by some members, to me it seem a very good value PSU line, specially to compete with Corsair RMx or EVGA G2/3, but atm im building a mini itx setup, and was set on Corsair SF450/600 since it got so good reviews from jonnnyguru. Upon more researching on case and option on PSU, i found a couple of things worth sharing with SPCR,

Seasonic Focus has now a Platinum line, this would change the game somewhat, as these are short PSU 140mm without getting out of the ATX factor, for many might not see a big deal, in the past we had option like Coolermaster V series and Seasonic G series as the two gotto PSU for builds for the Fractal Design Node 304, now there fully modular platinum option, this length allows to use a full length gpu, so its a very nice addition.

Silverstone showed some new cases in CES2018 like LD01/02, kinda like evolution of the TJ08-E, but with a lot of changes inside, some of them are really good toward a high end setup with a lot good airflow, to me this case might rival the Corsair Air 540/740 for direct airflow for components on a smaller factor, and one of the things this case also benefits is a 140mm psu, so having the Focus Platinum PSU is very nice for small factor setups.

Another not so new case that benefits form Seasonic focus is the Silverstone RVZ03, this is probably highest rated PSU that can fit on the ITX case, while its a tight fit, it can be worked fine. Aside from going into SFF this is probably the best choice going for this case for a high end gaming build.

There are lots of times that i wished i had a shorter PSU, like for example the R4 and now the R6, where to mount the bottom fans you do need a 160mm PSU or smaller, and smaller is better here as the 160 is fine but with the modular connectors, some are not accessible if they are at the bottom, so even for old builds cases it bring some flexibility and for $100 they are very nice options as long as you are not looking for titanium.

Another good option, that was already available and used by some here, are the Corsair SF 450/600 Gold, they are much smaller size with the SF factor, they got really good reviews from big PSU sites like jonnyguru, pcper, hardocp, etc, but now they are upgrading them to platinum level, the SF450 is retailing at $99 and the SF600 $140, if you need the factor, probably among the best choices. To give you some context, an i 8700K @5ghz + GTX1080, loading both (prime95 + furmark) the consumption is around 350W, so these PSUs can power any high end gaming setup (probably not an OC i9/TR + multi GPU).

CA_Steve

Re: Small PSUs

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:52 am

Yeah, the Focus Plus line looks interesting. Short, decent build, FDB fan. I haven't seen the fan profiles for the 550W Gold and Platinum models...but looking at the 750W's, the gold is passive to ~150W and then 600rpm to ~400W and the platinum is passive to 300W and then a more relaxed 400-450rpm to 450W.

US Sale prices for the 550W Gold get down to $55-60 and the Platinum to $70-75. So, very reasonable.

SST Guy
-- Vendor --

Post by SST Guy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:27 pm

Don't forget the just released NJ450-SXL!
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=797

This great little unit may just be the start of a new breed of truly silent consumer PC power supplies with a design that completely encloses any residual coil whine or electrical noises.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:31 pm

The return of Nightjar :)

SST Guy
-- Vendor --

Post by SST Guy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:06 pm

CA_Steve wrote:The return of Nightjar :)
Indeed! The Nightjar has returned, the first Nightjar model, ST30NF was reviewed here on SPCR 14 years ago:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/SilverSto ... anless_PSU

Amazing what we can achieve now with NJ450-SXL compared to that ST30NF:

- 42% smaller (1.032 liters vs. 1.806 liters)
- Has modular cables vs. fixed cables
- 50% more power (450W vs. 300W)
- More efficient (90% average vs. 79%)
- Cooler running (26W heat produced @300W vs. 63W)
- Better electrical performance (3% regulation vs. 5%)

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:18 pm

SST Guy wrote:
CA_Steve wrote:The return of Nightjar :)
Indeed! The Nightjar has returned, the first Nightjar model, ST30NF was reviewed here on SPCR 14 years ago:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/SilverSto ... anless_PSU

Amazing what we can achieve now with NJ450-SXL compared to that ST30NF:

- 42% smaller (1.032 liters vs. 1.806 liters)
- Has modular cables vs. fixed cables
- 50% more power (450W vs. 300W)
- More efficient (90% average vs. 79%)
- Cooler running (26W heat produced @300W vs. 63W)
- Better electrical performance (3% regulation vs. 5%)
Thanks for the remarks on the new NJ450-SXL. Wondering if a PSU like that would be recommended to be used on a case like RVZ03 that will not have direct airflow, probably not even indirectly since its so cramped?

SST Guy
-- Vendor --

Post by SST Guy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:36 pm

Abula wrote:Thanks for the remarks on the new NJ450-SXL. Wondering if a PSU like that would be recommended to be used on a case like RVZ03 that will not have direct airflow, probably not even indirectly since its so cramped?
NJ450-SXL's solid outer aluminum shell that makes it so adept at eliminating electrical noises mentioned above also allows it to not depend on case airflow or orientation for cooling anywhere near as much as most fanless solutions on the market now (NJ450-SXL's has no vents or holes for passive cooling). You should be able to use it in the RVZ03 without problems.