Recommendations for a new Ryzen 2700X build?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Michael-Inet

Recommendations for a new Ryzen 2700X build?

Post by Michael-Inet » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:04 pm

Hi All,

Time to replace a 9yo laptop I currently use in my living room. It hasn’t moved from its spot for more than 3 years, so I figure I’ll just replace it with a quiet desktop.

Hopefully I’ve done some decent research, which I’ve put up on https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Michael-j ... ved/s9JbXL

The only items I’ve set on are the 2700X and the 970 Evo.

Goals:
- Stability
- Silent
- Longevity, ~10yr.
- No overclocking
- Will be in a room with other electronics (TV, etc.)

Uses:
- Linux
- LAMP stack / E-Commerce website development work
- VMs for Windows and Android game development
- Play a movie on a TV
- Light 1080p gaming

Purchasing date:
- Black Friday thru Cyber Monday

I’ve added some other items below that have been mentioned by people here in SPCR, but everything beyond the 2700X and the 970 Evo are open for suggestions on bigger, better, cheaper, more quite.

Thanks All,
Michael

List so far:

CPU
AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor, $324.99

Storage
Samsung - 970 Evo 1.0TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive, $349.99

Edit >>
Bulk Storage
Hitachi - HGST Ultrastar He10 10TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, $323.99
CA_Steve wrote:Why the SaS HDD?
I’ve got a source for Certified Refurbished w/ OEM Warranty for ~60-75% retail on the SaS version and I thought it’d be easy enough to find an adapter. They also have a SATA 6.0Gb/s version.

Big, reliable, and cheap is really all I’m looking for. I’ll end up with two, all they are are drives to store 2 copies of the TBs of client tarballs I end up with. Needed for “Due diligence” compliance...
<<Edit

# # #

Motherboard
I’d rather have an X470 motherboard with native SAS 12 Gb/s to allow the HGST Ultrastar its full capabilities, but is there such a MB? I also tried to Google for PCIe-SAS adapter cards, but it was all coming up as $300+ raid cards, anyone know of a non-raid, reasonably priced such a thing?

ASRock - X470 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard, $189.99
Onboard Video Depends on CPU

GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WIFI

Asus Prime X470 Pro

This vid from level1tech.com https://youtu.be/MD_XuHv-5Cs reviews the MSI M7 and the ASUS CROSSHAIR VII below.

MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC, $230
ECC disabled

ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI), $270
Separate IOmmu groups for graphics card, 3rd m.2(pci express adapter), each nvme card, serial attached scsi adapter,
ECC supported
Auto memory speed backoff w/ timing tightening
Onboard Video No

CPU Cooler
Thermalright - Le Grand Macho RT 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler, $79.99
Rated Speed: 300 – 1300 RPM
Noise Level: 14 – 20dBA
Air Flow: 16.9- 73.6 CFM
Connector: 4 Pin (PWM Fan connector)
Thermal design power: 320watt

Scythe - Mugen 5 PCGH Edition, $96.94 + $3.99 shipping
Model Number: SCMG-5PCGH
4 ~ 14.5 dBA
16.6 ~ 43.03 CFM / 28.2 ~ 73.1 m³/h
300 ~ 800 rpm (±10%) (PWM-controlled)
Thermal design power: (not listed on http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cp ... ition.html )

Thermalright - TRUE Spirit 140 (BW) Rev.A
Thermal design power: 240watt
Can’t seem to find a ‘Rev A’ for sale.
Rev A uses a TY-147A. (True Spirit 140 Power uses a TY-147)

Memory
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory, $416.98

Diminishing returns beyond 3200 per the above video.

Have to look at the QVL for the final MB choice.

Video Card
MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card, $314.98

Case
Okay, I’d love to do the cube of HVAC filters with a barebones $20 case frame inside, but ‘eh…

Fractal Design - Define R6 Blackout TG ATX Mid Tower Case, $140.05
Case dimensions (LxWxH) 543 x 233 x 465 mm (21.78 x 9.17 x 18.31)

Power Supply
SeaSonic - PRIME Ultra Titanium 650W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply, $123.04
12 yr warranty.

Bitfenix whisper
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11123/the-bitfenix-whisper-m-450w-850w-psu-review/5 wrote:With loads lower than 300 Watts, the higher efficiency of the 450W model allows it to maintain lower internal operating temperatures, but not lower noise levels. The fans of both units seem to copy each other, with the fan of the 850W model simply speeding up further with loads above 450 Watts. Regardless, the sound pressure level with loads below 300 Watts is below 34 dB(A) with both units, which corresponds to a very soft humming noise if one gets an ear very close to the PSU.

As a result, the Whisper M units cannot really operate quietly in a very hot environment, but the internal temperatures will always remain at perfectly safe levels.

The thermal control of the Whisper M units is simplistic, and therefore the acoustics strongly depend on the internal temperature of the case. This may be a good or bad thing, depending on how well-cooled the system is. It is possible that good builds may allow the Whisper M to stay completely quiet until even if it is heavily loaded, whereas restrictive setups could force it to spin up its fan even while the system is idling. One thing is for certain - the power rating has very little to do with the acoustics performance here given how close both units perform audibly. It would actually be harmful to purchase a significantly oversized model hoping to get lower noise levels, as the electrical performance within the load range of the system would decline.
7 yr warranty.
CA_Steve wrote:... in a completely silent room, the best hearing can discern 0dB. Realistically, anything under 10dB is inaudible under most conditions. Under 20dB is considered very quiet (by SPCR standards).
Is the 34 dB(A) best case above considered good?

be quiet! Straight Power 10. Gold
5 yr warranty. (500W CM)

Monitor(TV), Keyboard, Mice(Trackball)

Yes... I’ve got no clue. I’m looking to ‘replace’ all three into the same ‘space’ the laptop is currently using. Which is a laptop/bed tray similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Greenco-Bamboo-F ... B01DV12NK4

My tray measures 20" W x 12" H x 1.5" inner depth.

The current laptop screen is a 17” wide. I’ll re-work what I need to so the three fit securely on the tray.

Speakers

Yes... Again, no clue, just something decent that doesn’t use batteries...
Last edited by Michael-Inet on Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CA_Steve

Re: Recommendations for a new Ryzen 2700X build?

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:24 pm

PSU: You are conflating what we can hear (my quote) vs what Anandtech could test with their setup. Two separate things.

Gfx card: Nvidia 11xx series will drop this fall. Good chance the 1150/1160 will intro in time for holiday shopping.

Why the SaS HDD?

Michael-Inet

Post by Michael-Inet » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:42 pm

Hi Steve,
CA_Steve wrote:PSU: You are conflating what we can hear (my quote) vs what Anandtech could test with their setup. Two separate things.
Ah! Thanks for the clarification!

So I don’t make the same mistake again, from SPCR standards or general standpoint, what dB(A)s, as reported from testing environments, would be considered ‘inaudible under most conditions’ and ‘very quiet?’
CA_Steve wrote:Gfx card: Nvidia 11xx series will drop this fall. Good chance the 1150/1160 will intro in time for holiday shopping.
Cool! Thanks! I’ll wait until they’re out to get the vid card then.
CA_Steve wrote:Why the SaS HDD?
I’ve got a source for Certified Refurbished w/ OEM Warranty for ~60-75% retail on the SaS version and I thought it’d be easy enough to find an adapter. They also have a SATA 6.0Gb/s version.

Big, reliable, and cheap is really all I’m looking for. I’ll end up with two, all they are are drives to store 2 copies of the TBs of client tarballs I end up with. “Due diligence” compliance, blah, blah, blah...

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:14 pm

A 30dB(A) at 1m setup can mean a $30 sound meter and a quiet apartment. A 10dB(A) environment means $3k or more for a low self-noise calibrated mic, decent spectral measurement tools and serious time spent building an anechoic chamber to isolate the test area from outside noise.

For the former, the workaround is to move closer to the noise source. Many sites will test at 10cm instead of the 1m ISO standard. In theory, SPL will increase by 6dB with halving the distance..or 20dB if 1/10th the distance. So, the 10dB fan @ 1m becomes "30dB" if 10cm away..and voila, the device under test nears the sensitivity of the test equipment. In real terms, there are a lot of other factors both simple and complex that fuzz this result up a lot....but at least you can get an apples to apples comparison using the same test setup at the same site when comparing devices under test.

How's that for a non-answer answer? :)

Michael-Inet

Post by Michael-Inet » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:16 am

[2nd attempt, posted last week, but didn't show up?]

Hi Steve,

That’s probably one of the best non-answer answers I’ve ever gotten. Basically, just like any other field really, you have to dissect the published paper for scientific validity.

Since no ones said any different, I’ll go with what I’ve got on partspicker, although I still can’t really find much info on ~17” monitors.

Thanks,
Michael

PS: I created a footer with the same ‘support SPCR’ as yours a long time ago, it no longer shows up?

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:03 am

Michael-Inet wrote:[2nd attempt, posted last week, but didn't show up?]
You posted in another thread, is 8k worth it over 4k for average pc uses

Michael-Inet

Post by Michael-Inet » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:22 am

lol, thanks for the heads up!