Your preferred type of girl's voice?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Little girl's voice - like a 10 year-old girl
No votes
High-pitched voice - like the voice of a Japanese anime character
12%
Normal girl voice - Nothing extraordinary about this
46%
Smooth, deep voice
20%
Rough, coarse voice
No votes
Husky, sultry, educated, dripping with suggestion
22%

Total votes: 41

engseng

Post by engseng » Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:12 pm

Alright, please vote! Thanks, and Happy New Year! :D

MGP

Post by MGP » Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:16 am

Hmmm...

engseng = athlonpowers, keeper and defender of the off-topic?

:wink:

engseng

Post by engseng » Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:20 pm

Nope, I'm not him. And who is he anyway? What did he do?

MGP

Post by MGP » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:20 am

Yeah, I was just foolin' around with you. :D

To my knowledge, Athlonpowers was/is (?) a member who tried to turn SPCR in its infancy into a DirectTV satellite network. He even tried to get MikeC to give him the title of something like "Chief of Off-Topic" as he incessantly posted loads of the most random things.

Semm

Post by Semm » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:11 am

Well, I voted normal as far as the voice itself goes. But I have to say a nice accent can make all the difference. My wife has the BEST accent. She's German and there's a cute, very slight accent when she says some things. Most people don't even notice it, but I guess I have to hear it enough that I do :) Southern (USA) accents can also be very nice, but they can also grate.

Semm

MGP

Post by MGP » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:23 pm

Yes, I also voted "Normal," but actually find Brittish accents somewhat attractive.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:47 pm

I voted high-pitched, but girls with high, slightly hoarse voices are the best, esp. with polite-type accents like rich Southern/Australian/British girls etc.

engseng

Post by engseng » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 pm

Hey, who added Husky, Sultry voice option?

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:32 pm

haha, change my vote to: "Husky, sultry, educated, dripping with suggestion"

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:36 pm

Trip wrote:I voted high-pitched, but girls with high, slightly hoarse voices are the best, esp. with polite-type accents like rich Southern/Australian/British girls etc.
omg u just described my girls voice. high pitched slightly hoarse with a polite southern accent.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:43 pm

I know y'all live apart, think she's lonely? Maybe I should stop by.

Where does she live in again?

Sounds like she's a keeper - I haven't been that in love with a girl in awhile. Best of luck with it!
Last edited by Trip on Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:47 pm

lol shes definately lonely but u dont want me to have to kill you do you ;)

by the way i didnt say where she lives for a reason

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:53 pm

You never posted a picture of your Southern Belle either :P

heh, nah i'm happy with mine. no need to hunt me down.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:03 pm

yea i dont want any competition, you can all think shes ugly if you want, i know shes hott.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:21 pm

im sure she's beautiful, but my g/f looks better.

engseng, I think you have replaced Athlon Powers as the new "Lord of the OT".

engseng

Post by engseng » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:38 pm

What? I just posted one topic and now I'm Lord of the OT?

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:31 pm

Heh sorry, after posting this I found out that AP had been a bit annoying... (he left around the time that I found SPCR).

I'll dethrone you if you like :)

Td_nw

Too easy

Post by Td_nw » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:56 pm

I wish you had a category between the Japanese Anime and Normal girl voice - like "Classic Asian" so I defaulted to Japanese Anime as Asian women have the best voices hand downs. (But I may be biased.)

No worries about you replacing AP, you have some work to do to catch up to take that throne.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:14 pm

So do Japanese girls sound different from other Asian girls? (when speaking the same language...)

NullObject

Post by NullObject » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:48 pm

Trip wrote:So do Japanese girls sound different from other Asian girls? (when speaking the same language...)
Yes, just as Italian women have a different accent than German women. I like european accents better.

But the type of women's voice I prefer, is whatever type is whispering in my ear :wink:

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:43 am

:oops: Duh!

I've met so few Japanese girls... it'd be useful to be able to recognise the accent (useful for picking up Japanese girls :P )

engseng

Post by engseng » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:42 pm

I think Edward Ng is doing a good job in being Lord of the OT.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:22 pm

You know, I'm half-Japanese and have lived in Japan for almost 10 years of my life, and I still can't identify Japanese accents, even though I can tell when someone is speaking Korean, Mandrin or Japanese (I'm not sure on Cantonese).

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:37 pm

You can't identify the Japanese accents because there are so many of them? Are there sharp differences?

I've read Japan is a very traditional nation, are there a lot of different groups inside the Japanese nation? I've read of the Ainu being a particularly unique group (they were the Samurai I think?)

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:50 pm

Trip wrote:You can't identify the Japanese accents because there are so many of them? Are there sharp differences?

I've read Japan is a very traditional nation, are there a lot of different groups inside the Japanese nation? I've read of the Ainu being a particularly unique group (they were the Samurai I think?)
Well, come to think of it, I've only really dealt with Japanese-accented English when I was living in Japan. Most of the Japanese living in the US that I've encountered are either really timid and thus don't speak much English at all, or speak darn near perfect English. An interesting exception is my Dad. He came to the US when he was 10. To my ear, he has no accent whatsoever. But my fiancee says that he has a very light one. So maybe I just can't hear a Japanese accent period.

I don't fully understand your statement on Japan being a very traditional nation, because it depends on your perspective. The US can be pretty traditional too. It's a fairly homogenous nation, if that's what you mean, but even within Japan there are accents and dialects in Japanese.

The Ainu is another kettle of fish altogether. The Ainu are the Japanese equivalent of Native Americans. Due to the Japanese pseudo-pride (I say pseudo-pride, because WWII did a lot to quell nationalism), the Ainu were only officially recognized in the recent past. No relationship to Samurai though.

/I've gone REALLY off-topic in this thread, haven't I?

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:22 pm

I meant that Japan is traditional in that it has strong ties to its roots. The US, IMO, is not very traditional.

Since Japan is traditional, there should be a lot of different groups within the Japanese nation. Ie. in America there are Mormons, Southrons, Yanks, etc. These are groups that have arisen somewhat independantly of outside influence and are unique to the US.

And generally a girl from the South sounds better than a girl from the North :wink: (I've been to Salt Lake City but can't say whether the Mormon girls have a pleasant accent or not)

Recently I read some claims that the Ainu were the Samurai instead of the ____

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:43 pm

Trip wrote:I meant that Japan is traditional in that it has strong ties to its roots. The US, IMO, is not very traditional.

Since Japan is traditional, there should be a lot of different groups within the Japanese nation. Ie. in American there are Mormons, Southerners, Yanks, etc. These are groups that have arisen somewhat independantly of outside influence and are unique to the US.

And generally a girl from the South sounds better than a girl from the North :wink: (I've been to Salt Lake City but can't say whether the Mormon girls have a pleasant accent or not)

Recently I read some claims that the Ainu are thought to have been the Samurai and instead of the ____
I think that the biggest reason these groups have formed in the US is because this is a really f***ing big country. Japan is roughly the size of California, so there's a lot less space to be diverse. But for example, people in Okinawa, which is an island south of Japan (but still considered part of Japan) have a slightly different culture than the Japanese, or so I've read.

I misunderstood you on the Ainu part. I thought that you had meant that the Samurai had turned into the Ainu, which is blatently wrong. There IS a theory that the Samurai class came from the Ainu, but I can't find too much on it online, which leads me to believe that it's only a theory and nothing more.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:19 pm

sthayashi wrote:There IS a theory that the Samurai class came from the Ainu, but I can't find too much on it online, which leads me to believe that it's only a theory and nothing more.
Yeah, doing a search I only see websites who support the theory that the Atlanteans were Martians... Heh, if I come across something remotely reliable, I'll post the link :P

Td_nw

Post by Td_nw » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:17 pm

This thread has mostly died and probably should almost had it's own thread....

I have only lived in Japan 2 years but... can recognize four different accents (some almost different dialects). North - Hokkaido, Middle - Tokyo, Kansiaben - Osaka, Western - Kyushu. All the rest kinda blend together. I like the Osaka dialect the most. More straight forward and getting down to business sounding.

You can usually tell native Japanese English accents by the really indistinguishable R's and L's that get merged in words due to the Japanese alphabet. Japanese that learn their English in the US while they are young are pretty hard to tell. Can still catch them occasionally with their use of “the”.

Chinese has 4 tones, so if the sentence is long enough you can tell Chinese right away. Korean takes a few sentences to tell from Japanese. (I hardly speak any Korean, so maybe I am just slow.)

IMO, Japan really not that traditional. I would argue you are really thinking that Japan is more Historically influenced than traditional. They have allot of history. But they absorb culture faster than anywhere else I have been. Before, during, and after that wars with China they absorb allot of from China. And after WWII, they absorbed and are still absorbing American culture faster than any other country on the planet, and not all of it the “good stuff” from our culture.