It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Nexus/PC Toys NXP-201 noisy?
Yes, I've heard the buzz, and it's annoying. 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
Yes, I've heard the buzz, but it's not that bad. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, I've not noticed the buzz. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I've never used/seen/worked with a Vantec/PC Toys Nexus NXP-201 fan controller. 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: Vantec Nexus NXP-201 noisy!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:42 pm 
SPCR Reviewer

I have had lots of experience with three examples of the Vantec Nexus NXP-201 fan controller, two silver Vantec onces and also a silver PC Toys branded one. From what I've noticed they all give off a very annoying, mid-high frequency buzz that is noticeable with a computer that mainly puts out mid-low frequency air/fan noises and particularly quiet computers. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this? I'm just curious; I stopped using the incredibly loud things quite a long time ago, and am using the Cooler Master Aerogate I instead, which is silent. I believe the reason is that the Aerogate and most other fan controllers are based on rheobus, and use resistence (i.e. heat) to reduce voltage to the fans, whereas the Vantec Nexus uses a digital switching technology, basically pulse-wave modulation, whereby the device switches on and off at very high frequency to vary the average amount of power going to the fans (for example 12V pulsed on then off for 50% of the time is providing the fan 6volts average over given time). I'm hoping I am not the only one who sees this problem, particularly considering all three NXP-201s I have seen do this!

-Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:54 am 
SPCR Reviewer

Yes, you're correct. That controller uses PWM to control the fan speed. Many fans react badly to this and emit a buzzing noise. I would recommend that you not use that controller. There's reviews of fan controllers on this page. I'd recommend the Sunbeam reobus, although the new "generic' one that was just reviewed sounds pretty good too.

There's been numerous posts regarding the Nexus controller and it's noise. Here's a couple of links, and if you search a little you'll find more:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=4232

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=2991

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=6471

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=4522

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=4743

I think you'll have got the idea by now. You're not alone bro!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:45 pm 
SPCR Reviewer

Thanx, Ralf!

-Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:56 am 

just to be difficult, I have a nexus 305 fan controller, and it has no buzz...

as fas as I know, it's the same technology, although maybe vantec improved the components to eliminate the buzzing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:21 am 

Do all PWM controllers tends to be noisy / buzzy then?

I am thinking about getting one of these:-
http://www.tweakerzone.com/article.php?5.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:35 am 
SPCR Reviewer

I am using exactly that one, except in black, not silver, on Alpha Three, and it makes zero noise. I believe the Cooler Master Aerogate I is also PWM, and that one doesn't make any noise either. Primarily it's the Vantec that does it, and I'm not sure why.

-Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:09 am 

edwardng wrote:
I am using exactly that one, except in black, not silver, on Alpha Three, and it makes zero noise. I believe the Cooler Master Aerogate I is also PWM, and that one doesn't make any noise either. Primarily it's the Vantec that does it, and I'm not sure why.

-Ed

Thanks Ed. Are you referring to the controller I mentioned, or the one mentioned in the original post? If you could clarify, I'd be grateful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:46 pm 
*Lifetime Patron*

I'm sitting here and its the most noticeable thing in my system (noise wise). Ugh, I dread ever buying it...
I've been thinking about replacing it for a while now, but I don't like the Sunbeam because it goes down past 5v... Isn't that basically useless? I'd rather have that extra travel in the knob available so that I could fine tune my fan speeds.

Also for me the buzzing comes from the controller its self. In the past people have said they heard the noise coming from the fans. What about you guys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:57 pm 
SPCR Reviewer

I started this thread and poll; all three NXP-201s I've used gave off hideous buzzing. No, the noiseless controllers I mention are the one above (the 3.5" bay item with blue LEDs; the brushed metal one you mentioned) and as I said, the Cooler Master Aerogate I.

-Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:43 pm 
SPCR Reviewer

And the noise, for me at least, was clearly coming from the fan controller, and not the fans; any noise the fans made were made even without the use of a PWM fan controller.

-Ed

Want something reviewed? Help us get samples!
Donate for Patron or Friend Status!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:41 pm 
*Lifetime Patron*

You should check out the Sunbeam one. I just picked it up a few days ago and I really like it. It works perfectly and feel solid and looks well made. With the exception of it going below 4 or 5v it is pretty much perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:48 pm 
SPCR Reviewer

Thanx; I'll keep that one in mind for the future. Right now I'm pretty happy with the little one I'm using.

-Ed

Want something reviewed? Help us get samples!
Donate for Patron or Friend Status!