Hush Technologies has full ATX size PC now

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Hush Technologies has full ATX size PC now

Post by halcyon » Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:18 pm

It appears Hush now has ATX form factor PC in their portfolio:

http://www.hushtechnologies.com/

Some photos:

http://www.forumdeluxx.de/gallery/showg ... hp?cat=538

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:06 pm

not exactly breaking news, halcyon :wink:

It was announced in early fall & reported by SPCR here: Hush ATX: P4 & AGP in stylish silence

But the interior photos in the second link are interesting.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:56 am

Ah, I tried to use the search. Honestly, I did :)

grandpa_boris

Post by grandpa_boris » Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:18 pm

MikeC wrote:It was announced in early fall & reported by SPCR here: Hush ATX: P4 & AGP in stylish silence
any thoughts on how quiet it is likely to be? as quiet as the mini-ITX version? ATI 9800 is listed as one of the options and i wonder how well it will do cooling something that big.

(my quiet system's video capabilities are limited due to a mistake i made in planning it, and i am tempted to buy a HUSH ATX system with a 9800 PRO with video-in as a replacement, passing my quiet system off to my wife, to replace her much noisier dell)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:40 pm

grandpa_boris --

Noisewise, it doesn't seem like it will be much different (unless they improved the HDD mounting). At least on the HUSH web site, the 9800 VGA option is described as fanless:
Products : Graphic_Audio_TV
Part No. : Radeon 9800 SE All In Wonder 128MB Fanless

Graphic Card Kit Radeon 9800SE All In Wonder, 128MB, DVI CRT TV out, Video out, Video in, TV Tuner (PAL, B/G/D/K/I und SECAM L/D/K Videotext and Time Shifting function complet fanless

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:18 am

Although I love the fit and finish on those Hush dealies, the cost is just more than I can deal with. I'd go with a Chili Professional case and a well thought out rig before I'd bother with a Hush, but I suppose if I had money to burn.....;)

grandpa_boris

Post by grandpa_boris » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:36 pm

Beyonder wrote:Although I love the fit and finish on those Hush dealies, the cost is just more than I can deal with. I'd go with a Chili Professional case and a well thought out rig before I'd bother with a Hush, but I suppose if I had money to burn.....;)
what is the Chili Professional case? i had found your previous mention of that case, but you didn't provide a link and a google search yielded nothing. link please?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:04 pm

Beyonder wrote:Although I love the fit and finish on those Hush dealies, the cost is just more than I can deal with. I'd go with a Chili Professional case and a well thought out rig before I'd bother with a Hush, but I suppose if I had money to burn.....;)
No question it is more expensive than a typical mid-tower case with the same components, but it's clear the HUSH has no fans and a totally custom designed fanless high efficiency PSU, and that means a level of noise much lower than anything I've seen from Chili Professional. They're in completely different classes, really: One is a completely integrated system designed from the ground up (more or less) for silent operation with the slickest, most classy look; the CP is just a case.

OK, I admit I am biased, I do think the HUSH looks great... but you can't tell me Chili Professional is anywhere in the same ballpark for looks and overall design. :!:

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:55 am

I'd go with a Chili Professional case and a well thought out rig before I'd bother with a Hush, but I suppose if I had money to burn.....
Acck! A CHili Pro! :)

These things look like a battleship. For $200 you get 6 pieces of aluminum plate bolted together with a bunch of allen bolts.

The intriging thing is that the Chili mounts the mobo upside down on the left side of the case (sort of a proto "BTX" scheme :) ) so for proponents of the "AGP cards are mounted upside down" theory, the Chili Pro may be one to look at.

Sorry, /rant. :)

Edit - Looked around and found a review here. Now you can see it in all of it's, err, "beauty".

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:22 am

The black one in particular has an interesting and unique look to it...

8)

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:48 pm

Hush ATX Media System was reviewed in c't magazine 7/2004. Quick summary:

- speedy (P4/2.8GHz + Radeon 9800SE AIW 128MB)
- reasonably quiet at 26 dBA / 0.3 sone (but bested by Deltatronic Silentium Athlon 64 in the same issue)
- reasonable temps at 46C under load (room temp 23C). Max room temp recommended by Hush is 36C
- Pricey at 2480€

grandpa_boris

Post by grandpa_boris » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:40 pm

halcyon wrote:Deltatronic Silentium Athlon 64
oh, my. i haven't looked at that box in detail until you mentioned it here. i think i am in love. this is beyond anything i'd be able to build myself. it looks smoother and more elegant than zalman's heatpipe case.

you quoted here that the review says silentium's temperature under load reached 85'C. and yet the system remained stable? i thought only VIA C3 would function at that temperature.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:52 am

I've answered to the Deltatronic question in the Deltatronic thread as not to confuse this Hush thread more :)

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=4320

regards,
Halcyon

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:01 am

I think I'm going the "giant passive Zalman water radiator" route for my next build, but these are interesting. I'm just not convinced that fanless is a realistic build choice for cost, safety, and performance reasons.

Mostly cost, actually :D

Beerhunter

Post by Beerhunter » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:48 am

wumpus wrote:I think I'm going the "giant passive Zalman water radiator" route for my next build, but these are interesting. I'm just not convinced that fanless is a realistic build choice for cost, safety, and performance reasons.

Mostly cost, actually :D
I've been thinking about a fanless system for awile and it seems rather impossible if you want the latest and greatest. This Hush PC speaks quality to me and is a very good deal IMHO. Problem is I don't see a pentium @3.6 or a FX-53 @2.6 in there nor do I see FSB of 250+ or an 5950 or 9800xt:)

Anyway if you want to build a silent system and overclock I recommend heading over to highspeedpc.com and picking up the following:

-XX Flow water block for the CPU.
- Dual convection rad setup using the Konvekt-o-Matic Coupling System.
- Chipset block: Graph-O-Matic Rev2.0
-Video Card block: Cool-Matic ATi rev1.5
-Ehiem 1048 or DC model both are silent from 6" away.
-Tubbing
-Fittings

Simply mount these great looking rads to the side(s) of case, plumb, and you're off.

I believe you still need *some* air flow though case for mosfets, caps, memory and other IC's and this could come from the PSU with the entire case acting as a shroud. The ones recommended by Mikec would be good here.

As far as the passive Zalman system I've seen no good tests and one I did see it performed aweful. Not only that you have this cylindrical "giant" tube you have to leave out in the open so convection actually works. Also not very convient if ou want to move case...Basically I don't expect much from this.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:21 am

http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info ... cts_id/166

$1675 , but that does include cpu, hdd, video, memory, basically a completely working system (sans OS).

I dunno, for that much, I could get the giant Zalman passive case, which seems much more flexible..