Welcome new members

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Welcome new members

Post by haysdb » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:56 am

I'd like to welcome those who have started folding for SPCR recently. You are helping us fend off Team MacOS X, but more importantly, folding is just a cool thing to do. It keeps your computer from getting bored, so it runs faster when you need it. ;)

kaid
Shawn_O
SilentRandy
the_crate
Pete_Amer
hosssaaaa
TrekNW
Afzan

My apologies to any I've missed.
Last edited by haysdb on Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:42 am

Most important to me is, that I may be involved in something that will save thousands of lives eventually. One of the lives you save may be your own!

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:39 pm

Thanks for the acknowledgment from all us newbies haysdb.

The thought of staving off the attack from 'the mac lads' had no influence on me at all :roll:

It was pure coincidence that I joined just after learning that the mac TV advert (in the U.K.) for 'the fastest proc. in the world' was banned (Sorry, asked to be withdrawn :D ) after the governing body recieved complaints and found their claims to be...um... unfounded. :twisted:

Obviously I also wouldn't get any enjoyment from watching my progress on the team stats either :oops:

My concern is my next upgrade or addition, my father's about to utilise his Athlon64 which means my headstart won't last long... then it'll be (family) personnal. :lol:

One of my customers has just bought a fleet of 9 Pentium2.4's and I'm trying to show them the light. :idea:

Was going to talk to my boss, but he reckons the comps. at work are so slow, you have to turn them on before you go home so the're ready for 9 o'clock the next morning. :lol:

Glad I'm not addicted yet :roll:

Pete

P.S. Any idea's from anyone on how to....justify, my need for a farm? My Girlie's accepted this one 24/7 but seems to think we don't need six more in the roof space :o

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:14 pm

I don't know how you can justify a farm to loved ones. I'm fortunate in that when I move in with my fiancee later this year, I come "with computers". I'm looking forward to getting broadband at her place and educating her that the HTPC I built us (her PC), should be left on 24/7 - so we can have music instantly of course! And the benefits of a little more heat in the winter.

The other excuse I could take is that a close family member had a medical condition this research could possibly benefit. So I want to help them by aiding to find a solution, not just for them, but for other ailments in the world.

I have FAH running on some old PCs at work. The 300MHz one has only ever started units, and had them transferred to faster machines (it's not capable of processing a unit before the deadline even with being on 24/7). Another one slowly cranks them out every week or two for a unit. It all adds up though.

My take on the whole mentioning names is that I feel better if I'm mentioned. But limiting it to those of us with more resources isn't so good for the highly valuable folders who can't contribute as much for whatever reason. It would be nice to have some stats for those who only have a single PC folding. Having a handicap system so that guy with a PIII-500 can feel valued alsongside someone with a P4 3GHz.

What's the fewest points a PC left folding 24/7 can get in a month?

Also, I'm doing okay at the moment (I started early Dec), but come warmer weather I doubt I'll keep such a high rate - too much heat, and certainly not if we have another heatwave!

kai

Post by kai » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:16 pm

First post!

Thanks for the mention David.

I've been lurking here at SPCR for quite a while...I've used your expertise to quiet my xp1800.

Anyway, right now I've got two 'puters folding. Hopefully I can add one or two more in the next couple of weeks.

[edit] I'm folding under kaid [/edit]

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:04 am

CoolGav wrote:What's the fewest points a PC left folding 24/7 can get in a month?
Hey now, THERE'S an interest topic for a thread. Not sure who would be willing to claim the prize for LEAST points though! :lol: That would definitely win a "Dubious Distinctions" award. ;)
kai wrote:First post!
And may there be many more! Welcome to the team. :D

David

BlueTide

Another first post

Post by BlueTide » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:12 am

Heh, my first post too! Been here from september, I guess, and now working on silencing my dual AMD MP2100+. First ever documented project of mine, though not near ready yet.

Duh, back to painting the new Antec 3700AMB as I get back from work... ;)

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:48 am

First and second! ;)

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:55 am

Well, the little competition is all in fun for me. I am glad for anyone that adds to the production because that means more work is being done for a very good cause.

I also started doing this when I found that it directly impacts the work of my son-in-law who is working on a bio-chemistry PhD. His dissertation uses folding and its related theories extensively and I figure that anything to help him out is just gravy.

Wendell

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:51 am

Just like to put up a quick hello and welcome to my Dad :shock: bill_amer
(just got his first points, good man :D )

and the all the other 'new' newbies. :D :D

Our ranks seem to be swelling well.

Long may it continue and

8) 'Power to our Folding' 8)

Pete

Shawn O

Post by Shawn O » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:59 am

Thanks for the warm welcome.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:18 pm

bill_amer - Bill joins his son Pete
MAudin
] - Now there's an interesting handle

Welcome!

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:00 pm

mortinal
ojz
y
seantopia

We are now over the 100 active members mark, and we are successfully holding off Team MaxOS X.

:D

David
Last edited by haysdb on Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NeilBlanchard

I can explain...

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:00 pm

Hello David:
haysdb wrote:MAudin
] - Now there's an interesting handle
I can explain...MAudin is the client I built an Athlon 2500+ for, and while it was here in my office, I had it folding under my user name -- but when I tried to change it, I made a typo and hit the ] key which is right above the Enter. :oops: So, I later discovered my error and changed it to MAudin.

I think there are other names at the bottom of the list that came from similar circumstances. :shock: rusty75?

miker
Patron of SPCR

Re: I can explain...

Post by miker » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:12 am

NeilBlanchard wrote: I think there are other names at the bottom of the list that came from similar circumstances. :shock: rusty75?
Yep, I saw an "Administrator" up there too :)

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:25 am

WOW, I just got passed by a blur. The name is wgragg. I have 2 processors running, he has 21. I hope he posted some pics here of his farm, cause he passed me so fast I didn't see a thing. :shock:

Coolgav is right behind. Oh well back to position 60. :(

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:42 am

Well, I don't have a farm per se. All but 3 are computers at my work. I am responsible for all the technology in our library system, so am co-opting them for use as folders. I'm really not much into the race aspect. I just want to get as many machines helping in the research as I can. With that being said, I have a message.....

I have my sights on you Coldflame! :lol:

monkiman
Friend of SPCR
Location: Seattle, WA -- *Active* member of the SPCR Folding@Home team!

Post by monkiman » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:18 pm

I'm sure I'll be back at 52 by the morning - nice going wgragg

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:07 am

Aristide1: We have three 'grey' folders to overtake very soon, so thats a few more places... I can see some good progress up the chart for myself, until #51, then the going is going to get tough.

Oh and ColdFlame, I'm now due to pass you in May THIS YEAR, long after Wendell I admit. :? :D :shock:

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:35 am

I've been folding since May 2003. Since then we have 200 more processors.

:shock:

(any excuse to use the shock icon. 8) )

randalee

Post by randalee » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:55 pm

I haven't folded for the team in nearly 6 months, (I've only contributed 12 WU)... I started the client up on a 2.4c I have here @ my desk and a couple of P3 1GHz machines nearby I use for testing.

We shall beat them down...

Randalee

mormakil

Post by mormakil » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:02 pm

Welcome back to the team!!
You are most Welcome!

Go SPCR, don't let them pass us

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:19 pm

Thank you Randalee. We definitely need your help!

David

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:42 am

More New Members! Welcome to Team SPCR!

ocfrag

nap_loaf

mmilem

mreed

poizen

stephen7372

putz

xfinity

Thanks for joining up. Everyone's participation is appreciated, one folder or five, all are welcome. Thanks guys, we need all the help we can get.

Borg! Borg! Borg! :twisted:

M

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:59 am

Not really a new member, but a new computer. Looks like I'll be getting a couple systems 'back' at work. First one is up and going now. I think its a 2.2 Celery. Currently looking at 380ppw, on a Tinker. Should probably see mid-400s with it.

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:08 am

Not really a new member, but a new computer.
Welcome new borged computers! It's for their own good and for Team SPCR!

Go Celery!

M

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:36 pm

MacOS X is currently outproducing us by a measly 200 points per day, but they are so close, at this rate they will catch us in little more than a month.

Us "old folders" are already doing everything we can, so it's the new folders that will ultimately determine whether we manage to stay ahead of Team MacOS X.

Welcome new members. I thank you, SPCR thanks you, and Standford thanks you. MacOS X does NOT thank you. :lol:

David

randalee

Post by randalee » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:55 pm

Welp, I've been able to assimilate five CPUs for the collective... None have submitted any finished units yet (I have forgotten how long these take!) but this weekend we should start to see a boost from me.

It was weird, lying awake last night -- WORRYING about those G5s passing us up... I was trying to figure out what else I might 'borg' to help the cause. :) I think I have the sickness.

hmmmm... will this thing run on an Ultrasparc?

Randy Clements
Salt Lake City, UT

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:26 pm

I've got a pentium 200MMX that I can run on a striped down win95 for maximum effect.

Likely to make any difference?

I know it's probably a stupid question...... but the experiment I'm doing with Bacardi...... seems to be fairly conclusive :twisted:

This might seem coherent... but it's tken me 3days to rite ths sofa :lol:

Pete

P.S. Am going to call in a favour owed to me on a 2600XP to add at least a bit.

P.P.S. Girlie says PC's get virii (?) so should we send 'the mac lads' (apple)...... a maggot :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Obviously I don't approve.... 8)

but it's nice to know she's getting in the spirit of things and.... 'understands' 8)

P.P.S...... Apparently..... it's me, getting in the, spirit of things :shock:

Seems like her sense of humour is... bad enough for this site too :lol:
(And she's had no alcohol :shock: )

Pete

And May The Gods Bless Your Folding.... (Unless you fold for ....THEM, in which case I hope your bits are plauged by a 1000 camel dung flies 8) )

randalee

Post by randalee » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:33 pm

...More good news... I got in a shipment of 20 brand new P4 2.4b machines that need some "breaking in". I loaded up 10 on a cart and brought 'em in the work area where I can plug 'em all in a hub on the LAN.

I'll let these 10 burn all weekend and see how it goes into next week. I need to deploy them to users by end of next week, so we won't have it forever, but I don't mind borging them for awhile...

Randy Clements
Salt Lake City, UT