Using Chimney effect instead of a pump in Water cooling

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hemmi

Using Chimney effect instead of a pump in Water cooling

Post by hemmi » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:08 am

Hello

I want to make my computer COMPLETELY silent.

to get rid of all these fans I see two possibilities.

First I use passive coolers, and make a chimney on Top of the Computer, so I get enough airflow to cool the Components. But this still would limit the Performance of the system to about 20 - 30 Watts.

Whats now if I'd make a Water cooling?

But instead of I Pump, i'd like to use the chimney effect to drive the Water circuit. The Warm water is lighter than the cold water, because of this it's mounting to the ceiling. There is a Big Radiator that cools the water. The cold Water is now going back into the Computer.

With a Delta-T of 10K and the ceiling 2m above the PC you get a pressure difference that is the same as the pressure of 5mm of water.

I know that the start of this circiut is a problem, but if it's circling around, is it then working?

I dont want to do overclocking. Just a quiet PC with 60 W CPU power.

What do you think.

Greetinx hemmi

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:25 am

5mm of head is nothing - you'll need well over 10 times this just to drive any reasonable amount of water down a pipe. At 5mm head, a circuit just won't flow.
Water Cooling pumps are generally pretty silent, especially if you isolate them from the case. This would be a far better option than trying to set up a convection circuit - it would be possible, but you'd probably have to change the working fluid to something like low pressure freon and have a phase chance circuit.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:54 pm

no need to get exotic, its very do-able with plain water: Pete's Passive Prototype