opinions on this watercooling setup please!

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

chylld

opinions on this watercooling setup please!

Post by chylld » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:50 am

heya all (more notably those of you who are into wc)

i'm about to buy a watercooling setup made of the parts below. what does everyone think? (prices in aud)

eheim 1048 - $135
swiftech pump relay switch kit - $40
swiftech fbk525 - $45
black ice extreme - $125
swiftech mcw5002 - $90
swiftech mcw50 - $65
2x ST-1/2STEM-1/2BARB - $8
swiftech hydrx 2Oz - $5
2m Eheim original hose 12mm internal / 16mm external - $14

the barbs are for the gpu waterblock (mcw50) so i can use 1/2" ID tubing throughout.

also the fan that I'll be using will be the stock bqe rear case fan, i'll upgrade that to an evercool/panaflo/papst if i need to.

opinions asap please, i wanna buy this soon :o :o

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: opinions on this watercooling setup please!

Post by HammerSandwich » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:36 pm

chylld, that sounds very expensive (and, yes, I converted the $). I'd look into a heater core or Swiftech 676 radiator, DIY relay kit, and DIY T-line or reservoir to save some bucks. And rumor has it that the Cascade will be produced again in the next month, so you might want to consider that instead of the 5002. Are you planning to keep everything internal in the BQE? Good luck!

chylld

Post by chylld » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:23 pm

i was waiting for someone to say that :(

does the cascade scale to the amd64 platform? also how much is it?

a short t-line just before the pump serves the same purpose as a reservoir, am i correct? how would i plug up the top of the t-line?

i'm not really willing to gut out my bqe's hdd cage (like Seal's done) so it has to be mounted on the inside-back. i don't know much about heatercores, but is it easy to do that with one?

and re the relay kit, i'm thinking about forgoing it altogether. the eheim is designed to run continuous isn't it?

ta.

HaloJones

Post by HaloJones » Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:08 am

If you use ½" tubing you can seal the top of the T with an AA battery. This also negates any chance of mixed metals causing a battery effect.

The Cascade is due to be made again soon but since Cathar only makes around 15 per month there will be a long waiting list. In recent tests at Pro-Cooling, the D-Tek WW was better than the D-Den RBX at all "normal" flow-rates. This certainly makes the WW still the best "production" waterblock available.

The BIX is a perfectly adequate rad but it is expensive compared to a car heatercore. That said, even small heatercores are quite large and are unlikely to fit by the rear 120mm except externally.

Seal

Post by Seal » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:09 pm

Looks good, btw is one of those blocks a chipset block? If so then take it out, theyre useless. and yes im speaking from experience.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:11 pm

Yes, Cathar's site (here) shows the A64 is supported.

chylld

Post by chylld » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:36 am

seal: there's no chipset waterblock. i know there's no need for one, my nb is passively cooled anyway.

hammer: i think i'll stick with the 5002, i dunno why, probably due partly to my brand name fetish :)

also i just checked cathar's site and that wb costs too much for me :(