Crude enclosure to put noisy tv in.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

GamingGod

Crude enclosure to put noisy tv in.

Post by GamingGod » Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:03 am

The back of my new tv is making this buzz noise, i notice that basically all tvs have this buzz, but i had a tv in a cabinet before and this one is just sitting on a little table. Anyways it was driving me crazy so i just cut up the box it came in and put it on the tv with only the screen showing, im testing it right now to see how hot it gets in the box to see if i need more air vents.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:43 am

Well my tv has been inside the box all day and aparently it doesnt put off much heat, kinda surprising to me, i put a couple of vents on the top and the air that is coming out is only slightly warmer than room temperture so i guess its gonna be ok. Oh and before when i had my tv turned to 10 i could hear the buzz enough that it would get on my nerves, and when i would mute the tv it would be really annoying coil buzzing. Now that its in the box i can watch tv with the volume on 10 and i cant hear it at all, i can however still hear it if i mute it and listen close, but overall i say a success.

Red Dawn

Post by Red Dawn » Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:09 pm

If you someday decide to remove this "box", you could probably go and ask your local tv-repairshop for the kind of laquer they use to spray the insides (coils) to quiet down whining tv's. I'm tempted to throw in a link, but I'm not 100% sure it's the right kind of laquer you need, so better ask them. :)

Anyway, just an idea, if you want to persue this any further.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sat Jan 11, 2003 7:07 am

well thanks for the input, i was just kinda wary about opening a tv cause i never done it before.

TerryW

Post by TerryW » Sat Jan 11, 2003 10:43 am

Hi there.

Like computer monitors, a TV has very high voltages for the picture tube.

I don't want to bore you with the techy details why the voltage is there, but can safely say that colour monitors & TV sets can have voltages up to 30,000VDC and regulated to around 1mA! :!:

Any stray body parts that touches the high voltage parts will recieve a very nasty shock. If the voltage is hand to hand (across your heart), you could end up dead. :twisted:

I have serviced many TV & monitors and have accidently been "touched" by the high voltage. :oops: It is kinda a funny feeling to wake up across the room! Now, when working with hi-voltages, I always obey the one hand rule!

The whining or buzzing can mean several things:

1) Normal operating condition. Read on...

The whining or buzzing is most likely the horizontal frequency @ around 15,750Hz. Most young people have a hearing range to over 20,000 hertz and can hear the whining or buzzing. However as we age, the ability to hear these frequency drops. I suppose this a positive side effect for those aging computer junkies? :wink:

2) Suspect components or components ready to fail. :idea:

3) The flyback transformer (produces the hi-voltage) is defective and could be arcing. The arcing sound can be a loud high pitched buzzing sound, like a drone of bees.

If the TV or monitor is buzzing, check the product in a darkened room and look through the vents in the back to see a blueish glow (arc). If yes, immediately turn off and get a TV service person to look at it.

TV sets & monitors alike should be left to techies that know how to service them. :!:

TerryW 8)

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:26 pm

Thanks for the replys, yea i looked in the back vents already and everything looked ok. I think its normal buzzing, i was just use to have a tv in a cabinet and this one was too big to fit in it so the noise was coming out of the sides and annoying me. Oh and I have been shocked before too, kind felt like my whole body was asleep, like when your leg falls asleep and you cant move it.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:25 pm

hmmm i noticed today after playing playstation2 for several hours that my tv was getting some distortion, kinda like a large dark halo across the left side of the screen. I imediately freaked out and cut more vents into the top of the box to let out more heat, but the air was only slightly warm. So I turned off the playstation and watched cable for a while, but the cabletv didnt seem to have the disstortion like the game did. Anyways, i was wondering if maybe the playstation was overheating and causing the image to run? Does anyone know of playstation2s having a problem like that?

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:35 pm

Good post, TerryW. That was some good information. At this very moment I'm taking my second hand out of the TV.