Welcome new members

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:39 pm

I like this guy...

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:35 pm

Hehe, a man after my own heart.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:56 am

dasman

mond

McGarnicle

Welcome to SPCR's Folding Team, where the Folding never ends.

The number of new members is truly heartwarming. The "race" between Team MacOS X is a BLAST, and SPCR members have really answered the call. According to EOC Stats, we now have 109 active members. We JUST hit 100 a very short while back.

David

Edited to correct the number of active members. My post originally reported the total number, not the ACTIVE number.
Last edited by haysdb on Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:21 am

A quick word of encouragement to all new folders....

I've only been in on the act since late last year, and with a reasonably modest 2.5 machines running, have managed to sneak into the top 100!! Apart from the obvious positive aspect of folding, theres plenty of good natured rivalry going on here to make it interesesting (I'll never forgive you for that victory to the first 1000 Pete!!)

Its a good cause, the SPCR team has a good vibe, and as Mr D Hays has said elsewhere, its fun to hold off and (silently) try and pull away from the mac crew behind us:)

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:31 am

haysdb wrote: According to EOC Stats, we now have 246 active members. We JUST hit 200 a very short while back. Since there haven't been 50 new members, it's obvious that some people who have not been active are now folding again.
Whoa there...

We're at 110 active users. 246 total users. Read slower. ;)

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:51 pm

Zyzzyx wrote:Whoa there...

We're at 110 active users. 246 total users. Read slower. ;)
Allow me to start over :oops:. We are now at 112 active users. We hit the 100 member mark just two weeks ago. That's a 12% increase in just two weeks.

That makes more sense. I couldn't figure out where 46 new folders came from. 12 I can account for.

David

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:07 pm

How many frames to a work unit?

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:18 pm

Varies greatly. 100 to 600, from what I've seen. FAH is not the predictable completion time like SETI (if you have experience there).

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:30 pm

I have gotten 250, 400, 500, and 2500.

The tinkers are typically 400 packets/frames.

The gromacs have "steps" for instance I am at 77/250(gromac) progress now according to tool tray and fah display, but according to my log file I am 77500 out of 250000 steps. Kind of confusing :roll:.

As soon as I get it figured out it will probrably change.

I'm still new at this, it gets more & more fun every day!

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:42 pm

Going back a few posts....

Just like to also offer my welcomes the the newer than me newbies (Old timer newbie now, into my second month :shock: )

Got to agree with The Scarlet Pimpernel...... Sorry, Scar f(ace),.... the quest for points... (Faster than that Bloody bloke just ahead 8) ) is highly enjoyable.
(Have you noticed how it's only really the first 1000 points that you really notice or care about.... 'cough scarf cough' :twisted: )........

(But I... haven't noticed any rivalry :roll: :roll: )

What's great about it is it's a complete couch potato sport, with no risk of any stess on your body.

... Well, except the frantic pacing....

tearing hair out when you have a farm (My deepest heart felt sympathies :cry: , that turned to 'collective' euphoria :D go to Haysdb for his recent Epic Battles with the evil voodoo black magic from the mac lads that plagued his farm (Well done on rid...ing the Evil :wink: ))......

waking in the middle of the night... (nite?) when you suddenly think.... "Oh ****....... have I added up those points right?, will I really be past Him/Her/It.. in the morning".....

Getting the cold sweats when you realise your comp. has locked up.... and you wonder how much of that work unit you lost.....

racing home (at obviously Legal speeds :wink: ) just so you can plug the works Laptop in and get it folding again...

wondering what other services you can turn off... so your comp. is leaner and faster.( Should I turn off Outlook overnight? to save a few cycles)....

Do I really need XP? could I do with a stripped down 95?....

grimacing when your beloved is using the internet to look at BlahBlahBlah AGAIN!!!...

the sheer panic when you experience a 'brown out' and you look at your comp. before your beloved £4000 Stereo....

thinking...."Yeh... Ilove you. :roll: .. But a wedding is a 14 blade farm :twisted: "....

wishing she'd hurry up and get bored with 'Spider Solitaire' so she stops wasting cycles....

Thinking "Damn... this post is getting tooo long and therefore using tooo many cycles"...

AND.. it's not even funny !!! :oops:

Thank God I'm not addicted :roll:

Pete.

Power to your folding

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:17 am

Zyzzyx wrote:Varies greatly. 100 to 600, from what I've seen. FAH is not the predictable completion time like SETI (if you have experience there).
Hmmm... well my PC is taking about 30 minutes a frame, so I might well give up!

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:26 am

pdf27, have you figured out how many frames it has? Take a look at the log file. You should see a line line this:

Code: Select all

[16:41:08] - Frames Completed: 0, Remaining: 400
It's unfortunate that you got a big Tinker, but stick with it.

David

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:09 am

Currently on 39/400. I'll probably leave it on when I'm not in as it at least keeps my room warm!

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:43 pm

How's that Tinker doin' pdf?

David

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:59 am

CronoDL

DaleV

Welcome mates!

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:38 am

NullObject

ARM_Systems

Artcubed

Hampe

PhilgB

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:54 pm

dasman, one of our new folders, is now YELLOW on EOC Stats. :D

David

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Post by Stevo@ARM » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:38 am

haysdb wrote:NullObject

ARM_Systems

Artcubed

Hampe

PhilgB
Thanks for the welcome David :D

I have just got to say that I am really enjoying Folding, it's a lot more fun than I imagined it would be. Like the majority of you guys who have been folding for years, or those of us who are still newbies :wink: we are very competitive at ARM Systems, and being able to combine that spirit with our love of computers, and for some of us our daily jobs, while battling it out with the other teams adds a little extra spice to my day. Roy and Pat and the other key folks here at ARM Systems are also catching the Folding Bug here too.

It's a real kick to hear Roy blurt out some Folding stats every now and then... you guys all know how it is right... the suspense creeps up on you throughout the day and you just have to take a quick look-see to check how everyone is doing. :lol:

Anyway, we hope our contribution to the team will help inspire the steady long term folders to keep at it by helping keep us in the hunt against the rival teams (uh... make that worthy competitors :wink:). We hope we can join with you all to help encourage some new SPCR folks to join in too. I am confident that we can definately take back the lead over Team MacOS X if we all just keep at it. :twisted:

Maybe you guys who have stayed the course for the long haul know how to contact some of the inactive Folders. If you could somehow round up a fair number of them who haven't put up any numbers for a while and get them back into the game then the SPCR Folding team would really kick in the after-burners and not too long after we could all share a nice warm slice of 'Apple' pie :P I'd like a scoup of ice cream with mine please, served up by NoahJ himself :mrgreen:

um.. David.. you did say you wanted a bit more trash talk to liven things up a bit didn't you :lol:

Cheers,
Stevo
-------------------
Execute FOLDING sub-routine... Fold... Fold... Fold...
Last edited by Stevo@ARM on Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:12 am

Stevo,

You guys will most definitely have fun watching the stats pages. ARM Systems is ranked 112 at the moment, but people as far up as Mike Chin have you on their "Threats" list :shock:, and that's with just FOUR DAYS of points in the stats, and THAT includes "only" 200 points the first day. Suffice it to say, you will be on pretty much EVERYONE's threats list by this weekend. (and I doubt very seriously if anyone is going to mind! :D)

I'm wondering just where you guys are going to top out. You have shown substantial increases each day, and you posted a quite incredible 1134 points (26 WU!) yesterday. Are you at full speed yet? Has F@H been installed on every available cpu? Has every CPU turned in it's first WU?

Although it would be fun to catch (and of course pass) Team MacOS X, my own idea of the perfect timing for that would be as we BOTH pass "The Knights." :mrgreen: Kick them blighters down two notches!

David

Edit: Stevo, I'm not sure it qualifies as trash talk when you can back it up!

dasman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dasman » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:34 pm

haysdb wrote:dasman, one of our new folders, is now YELLOW on EOC Stats. :D

David
Around here, being yella is fightin' words -- put'em up, c'mon, c'mon, put'em up (written in my best cowardly lion imitation) :wink:

Appreciate the props 8)

Dave

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:43 pm

I expect ARM systems to be past me when the stats are updated next, and if they're not, I'm going to be very disappointed!! Well done guys!

David, folding as the_crate, with a presently dead PSU in a folder :x

ArtCubed

Post by ArtCubed » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:05 pm

I'd be at least green by now if it weren't for those damn tinkers...all of my PC's got em. At least I'm in the 70's (78%, 71% and 30% for the slacker machine that had to be shut down 4 times because of a faulty fan) And my Mac is only on 12/7 because I'm still waiting on 2 fans to arrive, and it's still too loud to run while I sleep.

Sigh...enough complaining...I'll catch up (hopefully to my former self, TheMuffinMan by the end of the week :) ). And I'm +22 in 24 hours...1 place an hour isn't bad :shock:

Fold on everyone!

(And that stats thing is real cool!)

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:51 pm

Pjotor

knarf242

mobquet

vestrus

Welcome to SPCR's Folding@Home team. Stop by and introduce yourselves!

116 active members! :D

David
Last edited by haysdb on Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:27 am

gksam

papasmurf

118 active members :D

David

NullObject

Post by NullObject » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:08 pm

Thanks for the welcome David.

First I decide to build a HTPC, then I catch the silentpc bug :) ...then the folding bug :D

It was a slow start for me...tinkers :evil:
So I switched to console for -advmethods and began running two clients. I complete a couple of work units and I'm still sitting at 0 production :evil: Investigation shows that one of my config files is using y as its username. The other was stuck on a tinker

Going nowhere fast :(

I think I finally have everything sorted out and have 2 more computers folding. I hope to get up to 5 or 6, mostly P4s.

Then I look at the production of Lockheed, TRC and ARM (kneeling in honor) and start thinking...maybe I should build a folding farm. :shock:

Then I look at OC-AMD's http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... serID=6643 production and think to myself...maybe I should go SMP :shock: :shock: :shock:

But first I need to get my case back on my computer...but that woud mean I need to stop folding.

I'm happy to see there's a lot of new folders like me. Hopefully we'll make to team production soon.

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:07 pm

Welcome to folding, NullObject. Glad you joined up!

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:16 pm

It's an insidiously addicting hobby, that's for sure.

David

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:56 am

Addicting? I'm not addicted! (shake....shudder....stammer) Just because I am desperately searching for another processor to borg does not mean I am addicted! :wink:

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:16 am

Yes, and I have another blade coming to try to stay ahead of you! :D

David

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:21 am

Another blade? I guess I will have to get on the ball and get these other 8 p4's deployed at work then.... :twisted: