Best Silent Case and PSU

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

s@ndb@g

Best Silent Case and PSU

Post by s@ndb@g » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:02 am

I'm looking to purchase a new case and possibly a new psu for my AMD-based comp. Can any1 recommend a good mid-tower silent case(@ least 4 5.25" bays, 2-3 3.5" bays, and a big hd drive cage) and a quiet psu? I currently have a generic mid-tower with a PcPowerCooling.com Ultra-Quiet 400 ATX/ATX12V psu. Unfortunately, my computer is plenty loud the way it is and the psu is nice, but kind of disappointing in the dB's it produces --but it could also be the fans I currently have. So I'd like to transition my comp to a nice, quiet home. Any suggestions, recommendations, other? :D
_s@nd

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:51 am

I suspect you will need to do more than just a new case and PSU? What CPU hs, gfx card, HDs, case fans do you have?

As for case and PSU, i would recommend an Antec 1040 (same as chieftec dragon) and Nexus PSU.

s@ndb@g

Post by s@ndb@g » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:25 am

ya i think i'll have to do a lot with changin a lot of items and making a bunch of changes.

-- I use the generic hs and fan that came with the AMD 1Ghz CPU(prolly get a zana hs+fan)
-- geforce 4 440mx(ya I know it's crap!)
-- IBM 60GB 60GXP(if the case is big enuff, maybe suspend this)
-- Seagate 18GB SCSI HD(actually runs pretty quiet for a SCSI)
-- Generic fans for input and output air(I'll prolly have to get lower rpm fans)

thx for the recommendations, chief! after reading a bunch of articles and posts on this site, it appears that minimizing overall case vibration, moderating fan and hd sound emissions, and doing the little things will make all the difference in silencing that computer.
_s@nd

xilles

Post by xilles » Sat Jan 25, 2003 9:41 am

get a antec slk2600amb...or get a lanboy :)