GPU cooling: CPU HSF on a GPU

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Justin_R

GPU cooling: CPU HSF on a GPU

Post by Justin_R » Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:17 pm

Here are some pics of my quiet cooling solution for my GeForce 256. Basically, I took a heatsink a low-profile copper heatsink designed for Socket 370/A, like this:

And used Arctic Silver Thermal Epoxy to stick it to the GPU. Then I used twist-ties to attach a Panaflo FBA08A12L to the heatsink. The twist-ties go through random holes in the PCB.

View of the card:
(I put the inches side of the ruler next to the card for this one.)

And from the side:

I have no idea what the temps are on the GPU, and I don't think there's overclocking utilities for this card, so I can't try that. But it sure is a lot quieter than the tiny, high-speed stock fan. A similar solution could probably be employed on newer cards, if your heatsink is big enough. Just remember that you lose the slot below your AGP slot.

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:00 am

Nice! That HS look pretty bashed up tho! hehe. Funnily enough, im using a CPU cooler on my geforce 256 as well. Im using a golden orb tho! Im using a 80mm fan as well tho, not the stock Gorb fan...

Edit: Just found a pic, but its from my old computer, when i was using the stock fan on the gorb - even at 5V it was too loud in my new comp!

SilentButDeadly

Post by SilentButDeadly » Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:06 pm

8) 8) 8)
I have the same heatsink on my GF2! That 6,250 RPM Delta 50x10mm fan is really annoying though (rated at 30dB) One of the interesting things to do with that heatsink is to mount a wire fan grill from a 60mm fan (or 80mm fan) to the heatsink upside down. (Screw heads hold the wire grill) The outer mounts is were the fan mounts. I just need to find that 60mm fan grill so I can mount the Vantec 60mm fan on it, it has a thermal probe on it so it will spin down and be quiet. Now to find that !@#$%^&*!! grill! :evil: :x

tyrian
Friend of SPCR

Post by tyrian » Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:41 am

I did something quite simalar myself over winter break, hadn't gotten around to posting the pictures of it, appologies for my low quality photography skills.

I have a Geforce3 [straight] and it came stock with this little beast of a fan:

60mm of pure pain, instantly qualified as the loudest component in my computer. I especially love the small text on the fan that says low noise.

So, I was thinking about getting a new CPU heatsink anyway, and decided on the SK-7, which left me with a spare FOP32 to dispose of:

So I took my trusty hacksaw too it, removing the fins along one edge enalbing it to fit into the AGP slot without contact:

After lapping, applying Thermal Adhesive, and sealing time, the mod was ready to put into my case:

While nothing impressive, its my first non-trivial mod, and I'm happy enough with it. The plate is hot to the touch, but I've yet to have any stability problems with it, and may install a BR-123 fan bracket w/ fan to play it safe. Let me know what you think.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:37 am

tyrian wrote:I did something quite simalar myself over winter break, hadn't gotten around to posting the pictures of it, appologies for my low quality photography skills.

Let me know what you think.
Very nice.

Did you just glue it on with AS Thermal Epoxy or something like that? Do you play games? Any video artifacts while doing GPU-intensive tasks?

tyrian
Friend of SPCR

Post by tyrian » Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:21 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
Did you just glue it on with AS Thermal Epoxy or something like that? Do you play games? Any video artifacts while doing GPU-intensive tasks?
Yup, bought & mixed AS Thermal Epoxy and applied it evenly as per the directions. I was a little worried at first, as it explicitly says not for use with CPUs, but it seems fine by me. I'm an avid gamer, I've played D3D and OpenGL games in various resolutions for extended periods of time without any visable loss in quality. My desktop resolution of 1600x1200x32bbp seems to show no signs of err as well.

I'd originally underclocked the GPU core, but upon returning it to full GPU speed no crashes or errors were introduced, so I've kept it that way. I've heard the GPU cores nVidia uses can withstand extremely high heat (~90 C, someone please let me know if they have more accurate information) , so at the moment I'm not too worried, though I am mildly fretful at the idea of frying the most expensive component in my computer just after voiding the waranty :)

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:32 am

I just gotta say that looks cool as hell :D