ASUS DiGiMatrix

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LushMD
*Lifetime Patron*

ASUS DiGiMatrix

Post by LushMD » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:27 am

Hi All. I recently came across this review of the ASUS DiGiMatrix barebones HTPC. It appears to be an aesthetically appealing and full-featured HTPC. One potentially significant drawback is the limited "upgradeability." As far as the all too important quiet consideration goes, the review claims that the system is quiet although the system is cooled with one 60mm fan and one 70mm fan. According to the review, even with both fans turning at full speed, noise from the system never exceeds 30 dBa. If anyone has any more info, please post.

PS MikeC: Is there any chance that SPCR will review this system?

pangloss

Post by pangloss » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:17 pm

I just came across a review on AnandTech. I too would be interested to know if SPCR can swing a review of this unit.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:15 am

Anandtech Review.....interesting design, less than 3" tall. Hard to figure how loud this would be, since the fans are so close to the output vents. If you intended to use this as a desktop pc with a monitor on top, the output vent location could pose a problem.

LushMD
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by LushMD » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:17 pm

Unfortunately, I recently read a review (in PC Magazine I believe) which indicated that, despite Asus' claims, this system would probably not meet SPCR standards (I will try to provide a link/more info in the near future).

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:31 am

Probably worth a review, will contact Asus folks.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:04 am

LushMD wrote:Unfortunately, I recently read a review (in PC Magazine I believe) which indicated that, despite Asus' claims, this system would probably not meet SPCR standards (I will try to provide a link/more info in the near future).
Hmm... interesting.

C't tested Digimatrix AB-V10 to be the most quiet smaller form factor PC currently available in the market, besting the best from Shuttle and Soltek:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=7114

Well, maybe it's still not quiet enough, who knows? I'd also like to read a review from Mike, because at least I know his standards are strict.

regards,
Halcyon