Prebuilt Fanless System with PCMCIA?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

scott999

Prebuilt Fanless System with PCMCIA?

Post by scott999 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:25 am

Anyone know of a good prebuilt fanless system with a PCMCIA slot available? I'm looking for a mobile, wireless system (not a laptop) to run on a cart in a dusty environment. Thanks!

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:15 am

what do you want to run in the PC card slot? if its a wireless card, don't forget you could always run a USB wireless card (so you wouldn't need the PC card slot, which would open up your choices a lot). the Mappit system recently reviewed on the SPCR main page would be a good choice because its sealed so your dusty environment would be no problem. but it does not have a PC card slot.

or check out http://www.mini-itx.com, they will build you a mini-itx system and i believe they have a new mobo that includes a single PC card slot and can be run fanless.

i think there are adapters to turn a PCI slot into a PC card slot... but this might be hard to find if you need something prebuilt.

RD
-- Vendor --

A4F and PCMCIA

Post by RD » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:21 pm

flyingsherpa wrote:The Mappit system recently reviewed on the SPCR main page would be a good choice because its sealed so your dusty environment would be no problem. but it does not have a PC card slot.
Well i might have to correct you there flyingsherpa. The Mappit A4F is available with the MII 10000 motherboards from VIA! Which is the one with the PCMCIA slot at the backpanel. As we said at the end of the review, we can customise the A4F to meet almost any needs. All of the VIA EPIA motherboards can be fitted into the Mappit - the desktop and rackmount version.
With customising we mean that we even make the frantpanel without any opening or even a power switch (always power on) - this makes it even better for a dirty environment!

If you have any further question don't hesitate in contacting us via http://www.ramlowdesign.com