What do you use to clean off old thermal paste etc.

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Aquilegia

What do you use to clean off old thermal paste etc.

Post by Aquilegia » Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:43 pm

Hi folks,

The articles I've read about changing a heatsink suggest using a "general purpose alcohol-based cleaner, and plastic scraper" to remove the old thermal paste or tape etc. What is a general purpose alcohol-based cleaner? I don't want to apply the wrong thing (eg. something to strong) to my cpu. Is a credit card a good plastic scraper? What do you folks use?

Thanks,
Aquilegia

TheMuffinMan

Post by TheMuffinMan » Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:53 pm

Isopropal (high purity, >90%), eyeglass cleaner cloth and a clean edge of an old credit card (not necessary sometimes)

You can use a knife, but I don't highly recommend that.

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Re: What do you use to clean off old thermal paste etc.

Post by powergyoza » Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:46 pm

Aquilegia wrote:What is a general purpose alcohol-based cleaner? I don't want to apply the wrong thing (eg. something to strong) to my cpu. Is a credit card a good plastic scraper? What do you folks use?
At a pharmacy/drug store look for isopropanol 99%. That's is a nice residue-free alcohol that's safe for cleaning CPUs. I use this with cotton swabs (Q-tips or any other brand) to clean.

Credit cards could be okay for getting most of if off quickly, but I think cotton swabs are safer, even if you need to use many.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:34 am

Don't bother with Alcohol etc.

Just get some un-du from Staples/Business Depot.

Takes it off better than anything, and comes with a plastic scraper.

You may want to wipe with common rubbing alcohol to finish, as un-du leaves a slight residue.

Goof-Off is almost as good, and should be available at Canadian Tire.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:57 am

WD-40 also works great, just squirt alittle onto a cloth and rub gently. Then flip the cloth over to a dry spot and buff the residue off.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:52 am

Rusty075 wrote:WD-40 also works great, just squirt alittle onto a cloth and rub gently. Then flip the cloth over to a dry spot and buff the residue off.
According to Arctic Silver's Instructions:
"Never use any oil or petroleum based cleaners (WD-40, citrus based cleaners and many automotive degreasers) on the base of a heatsink. The oil, which is engineered to not evaporate, will fill in the microscopic valleys in the metal and significantly reduce the effectiveness of any subsequently applied thermal compound."
I use regular acetone (an easy to find source is non-scented regualr nail polish remover) to remove the thermal compound on my CPUs and heatsinks. I put some on a rag and sort of soak the compound to soften it first, then apply more and wipe it clean. Acetone evaporates quickly and leaves no oily residue.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:24 am

Hmm....Perhaps its time for me to change my habits.

That's what I get for not reading the directions

JarsOfFart

Post by JarsOfFart » Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:55 pm

I use Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol. It works great. It also worked well with removing the protective layer on plexiglas.

frodo

Post by frodo » Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:00 am

I typically start with some Electronics Degreaser (specifically designed for use on electronic equipment) to take most of it off, and the finish off with some >99% Isopropyl alcohol and a small lint free cloth (like the type used to clean glasses). Has work wonderfully for me in the past.