Baracuda IV or V?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jhh

Baracuda IV or V?

Post by jhh » Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:17 pm

at my favorite on-line store here http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-searc ... e&stab=ref they have the 60 gig 'cudas 4 and 5 for the same price - is there any real difference between them? It seems the V is slightly louder and very slightly faster, but there must be more in it than a 0.5ms reduction in seek time?[/url]

jhh

Post by jhh » Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:54 pm

while I'm on the subject, is there an easy and free program I can use to exactly transfer data from my old drive to a new one? I use NTFS, but no dynamic volumes.

Also how can I format my old drive so that when I sell it the buyer can't just recover all my files?

pgmlinux

Post by pgmlinux » Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:51 pm

Take a hammer to the old drives. It's the only goverment approved solution. Otherwise, for free -- do a linux install on it and that should scrap all Windoz files. Then again, there is Symantec's Norton. . . .

spoon805

Post by spoon805 » Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:02 pm

jhh wrote:while I'm on the subject, is there an easy and free program I can use to exactly transfer data from my old drive to a new one? I use NTFS, but no dynamic volumes.

Also how can I format my old drive so that when I sell it the buyer can't just recover all my files?
http://www.killdisk.com

So far that is the best tool I have found readily downloadable. The pay version has been approved by the government, so it should be good. Just makes about 7-10 passes using this program, and I think you should be fine. In case you have any more questions, there are two threads at another forum that can be helpful link1 link2

spoon805

Re: Baracuda IV or V?

Post by spoon805 » Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:05 pm

jhh wrote:at my favorite on-line store here http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-searc ... e&stab=ref they have the 60 gig 'cudas 4 and 5 for the same price - is there any real difference between them? It seems the V is slightly louder and very slightly faster, but there must be more in it than a 0.5ms reduction in seek time?[/url]
Storagereview.com has a good comparison between the two drives.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Jan 25, 2003 9:42 pm

jhh wrote:at my favorite on-line store here http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-searc ... e&stab=ref they have the 60 gig 'cudas 4 and 5 for the same price - is there any real difference between them? It seems the V is slightly louder and very slightly faster, but there must be more in it than a 0.5ms reduction in seek time?[/url]
The 60G V is a one-platter drive; the 60G-IV is 2 platters. Go for the 5. Should be quieter and cooler.

jhh

Post by jhh » Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:39 am

the killdisk link is down atm, so I'll chack back later. Looks like I'll go for a V then, thanks for the advice. Is copying to the new drive just a mater of dragging one drive onto the other in windows?

pgmlinux

Post by pgmlinux » Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:47 am

Data Files: All your data files can be dragged from one drive to the other (ie; mp3, pdf, word doc, etc)

Browser: Internet exporer, you'll have to "export" and "import" your favorites (Netscape/Mozilla is similar, but I can't remember).

Email client: Outlook or Outlook Express: Look on the Microsoft support web site. They have very good instructions for moving mailboxes, contacts, account info, etc. I just did it between machines (gave my wife the quiet Dell) and it worked like a charm.

Operating System: Do a clean install. You will be so happy with the speed improvement. Don;t forget to run "msconfig" to shut off all those hidden start-up apps to make you machine boot quicker.

Applications: While there is software to move applications between drives, my experience with clean installed OS's is that I am better just re-installing them. Also -- ask yourself if you really need that piece of software on you machine. Less is more here.

Final advice: Put in "only" your new drive. Load your OS and applications -- making sure you are going to the software maker's site to download the latest drivers, patches, upgrades, etc. Re-Boot your machine at least once between each install/upgrade patch (yes, once more after the silly dialogue box). Only after your new drive/OS/Apps are running and stable, plug in your old drive to move/blow-away what you don't need or want.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Sun Jan 26, 2003 9:03 am

You can get them for the same price? Damnit that's not fair. The 'cuda V is twice as expencive as the IV here!

jhh

Post by jhh » Sun Jan 26, 2003 11:09 am

yep. £72 for either, although I'm not clear if the VI's expensive or the V's cheap.

If this is a baragain then think of it as making up for our panaflos being $15+

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Sun Jan 26, 2003 2:45 pm

heard bad things about dabs rma :/
www.tekheads.co.uk is good, not sure if they have seagates tho

jhh

Post by jhh » Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:57 pm

I don't know, I quite like dabs, I've ordered many times from them and never had a problem. They're also just about the cheapest out there across a whole range since they shift a massive amount of kit, kinda like asda for computers. What have u heard abt dabs btw?

oh and no seagate at tekheads I'm afraid, seems stange they'd not stock the leader.

oh and one other thing - ON NO CONDITION **EVER** BUY **ANYTHING** FROM EBUYER.co.uk!!!

shunx

Post by shunx » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:01 am

MikeC wrote:The 60G V is a one-platter drive; the 60G-IV is 2 platters. Go for the 5. Should be quieter and cooler.
Which of V and IV are 1 platter only?

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:37 am

If you're looking for software to transfer your files over to a new HDD the "diskwizard" software that comes with the Seagate's is damn near foolproof. I used to transfer from a 40Gig Maxtor to an 80Gig Barracuda IV. It worked flawlessly, everything is exactly like is was on the old drive, only now I have 40 extra gigs of free space.

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:00 am

Rusty075 wrote:If you're looking for software to transfer your files over to a new HDD the "diskwizard" software that comes with the Seagate's is damn near foolproof. I used to transfer from a 40Gig Maxtor to an 80Gig Barracuda IV. It worked flawlessly, everything is exactly like is was on the old drive, only now I have 40 extra gigs of free space.
Does that work for drives w/ bootable partitions?

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:07 am

Both of my drives only had/have 1 partition.

You just first install the new drive as a Slave, transfer the files, the turn off the machine, unplug the old drive, reset the jumpers so the new drive is Master, and Wala! Its up and run in your existing environment, but on your new drive drive.

So simple even my mother could do it. (well, maybe)

cjp

Post by cjp » Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:17 am

pingu666 wrote:heard bad things about dabs rma :/
www.tekheads.co.uk is good, not sure if they have seagates tho
The only drive worth buying that tekheads appear to sell is the 120gb Samsung drive.
The best place I've find for the Seagate drives is www.komplett.co.uk .

iom_dave

ebuyer sell the 80gb seagates

Post by iom_dave » Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:06 am

£65+vat
but the problem with ebuyer is the returns policy - can take a while. I though my video card was knacked - not reconized at bios (turned out motherboard agp slot and the geforce II just weren't to happy together but with careful positioning it worked). So i got a returns number etc but the email said it would take up to 3 weeks for replacement to be sent, so i tried to get it working myself and did so. Very much a low cost online retailer with the cheapo service u would expect. Mind u i may still order off them again. The best service i've heard of is cclcomputers.co.uk - my cd writer packed up after 9 months sent it back and a new one turned up in a week, also helpful sales staff. No seagate drives at the moment though. Dabs have the seagate 120gb drives. They tend to have cheap delivery (important for me since i have to pay offshore rates but not with dabs) and reasonable service.

jhh

Post by jhh » Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:28 am

yeah, I know abt slave/master thing, but when Rusty says "transfer the files" well... that's the bit I don't know. Do I just drag from one drive to the other in windows? I was under the impression that there's some system stuff this wouldn't copy

ebuyer have let me down bad more than once. Their staff also have a nasty habit of saying they've done somthing when they haven't. Maybe I shouldn't expect great service with low prices, but I at least expect to be told straight when there's a problem. Twice now they've rejected my credit card on the grounds I've given the wrong delivery address when my details were correct and they just hadn't bothered to check properly.

weird - I've just been over to complett and the IV is less than a V :shock:

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:35 am

The "transfer the files" part is taken care of within the Seagate utility. There are in fact some files that windows wouldn't let a user drag and drop.

The utility comes with any Seagate retail drive.

jhh

Post by jhh » Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:49 am

allrighty. thanks!

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:17 pm

ebuyer
they suck so much
hence i refer to them as ebugger
over at my regualr haunt theres a vender experience thread in for sale and wanted
http://www.tekforums.co.uk:81/viewtopic.php?t=20287

jhh

Post by jhh » Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:03 pm

There's a place called A1 computers in my old town (a1.co.uk I think)

The idiot there is very patronising despite knowing not a great deal about computers.

just ranting.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Sun Feb 02, 2003 3:10 pm

local shops in swindon suck :\
heck swindon sucks.

Rest

Post by Rest » Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:08 am

I would recommend using Norton Ghost, an excellent tool for replicating discs and make backup images.

jhh

Post by jhh » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:43 am

way ahead of you, I got it the otehr week but thanks for the advice.

My old drive is now up on ebay, I can't wait till I get the cuda!