How loud/quiet are typical OEM PCs??

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

enginerd

How loud/quiet are typical OEM PCs??

Post by enginerd » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:45 pm

I see this forum caters mainly to custom-built or self-built quiet PCs but I was wondering if anybody has experience with "normal" PCs--that is HP, Sony, Gateway, etc. systems that aren't specifically meant to be quiet. Which are the quiet ones and which are the loud ones??

I have lots of experience with Dells (some are amazingly quiet) but not other manufacturers. Can somebody give some info? I have always built my PCs but now I just don't want to take the time and I was wondering what the best choices are for pre-built.
Thanks!

ruprag

Post by ruprag » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:29 am

If you have the $$ talk to ARM systems

enginerd

Post by enginerd » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:55 pm

yeah i found the link on the mainpage. A little pricey. Enough so that it would make it worth the time to build my own. Anybody have other opinions on other brands??

seishino

Go Dell

Post by seishino » Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:34 pm

Excluding Apple, Dell seems to be just about the best for silence. I've seen quite a few screamers from HP, Compaq, e-machines, and Power Spec. I don't have a firm opinion on Sony, as I've seen a few that are nice and quiet and then I'll find a screamer sitting in someone's room.

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Post by Stevo@ARM » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:56 pm

ruprag wrote:If you have the $$ talk to ARM systems
enginerd wrote:yeah i found the link on the mainpage. A little pricey. Enough so that it would make it worth the time to build my own. Anybody have other opinions on other brands??
Roy and I have heard you guys, so check back on our site again, we have sharply reduced the pricing on our StealthPC's so now the choice between getting a turn-key, proven to work, and fully warranteed quiet system vs. the extra risks and hassle of ordering parts from a bunch of vendors and dealing with the freight and other complications in that process, is now a much easier choice to make for many of you.

Stevo