CD / DVD ROM Speed Throttling Software?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Destron

CD / DVD ROM Speed Throttling Software?

Post by Destron » Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:45 pm

I'm sure this information must be in the archives, but I can't find it there.

I'm looking for a piece of software to keep my CD drive from spinning so fast. I'd like to keep it around 2x-4x speed when I'm doing certain things -- like watching videos on CD. The drive is so loud it drives me mad! Any help appreciated.

Destron

Justin_R

Post by Justin_R » Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:45 pm

Nero DriveSpeed will do that. I'm not sure if you can download it for free from ahead software, though. If you have a copy of Nero Burning ROM, it comes with it. (If it comes with the Nero Demo, you might be able to use DriveSpeed forever without ever registering the demo.)

http://ahead.de/

If anyone else knows any freeware or free software tools that do this, please do tell!

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 pm

theres cd brusmise or sumin
look in the optical thread, i hadto search on google for it
is semi german/english

Justin_R

Post by Justin_R » Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:27 pm

pingu, I think you mean CD Bremse. The horrible thing is that I downloaded this program a year ago, and completely forgot about it until reading pingu's post.

Destron

Post by Destron » Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:14 am

Thanks for the tips, I will try them out and report on my results.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:11 am

hehe
vast dl archives eh?:)

shadymg

Post by shadymg » Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:20 am

does this damage the drive at all? Do you guys just test speeds til you find one that works? I don't do any ripping, all i do is play divx & games, what speed would be appropriate?

Destron

Post by Destron » Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:28 pm

I've been using Nero Drivespeed. The sick thing is that I never realized I had it on my computer because I rearrange my start menu so that I can get at the software I use more quickly. It's brilliant! Works like a charm. I've throttled my drives to 4x for my Plextor burner and 5x for my Toshiba DVD and I can't hear them over the roar of my HDD any more except for a tiny squeak when seeking.

Destron

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:05 am

CDRomTool seems to be the best thing I have seen. Definitely excellent stuff. The sight has all the details, including a list of drives that support speed control.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:05 pm

ill test it when i get my drive back on ma pc :D
also i got some dvd single thingys :D:D:D
get the lemone jelly one peeps, its ace... :)
so i can test dvd tricky stuff without usin huge proper dvd movies :)
handy for a no hd space peep like me

tyrian
Friend of SPCR

Post by tyrian » Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:22 am

this may sound like a silly response, but the best option i've found as of yet is to not use cds at all -- i've got all the things i regularly use (games and applications mostly) as either ISO or BIN/CUE files on my Cuda IV, which is much quieter than most any DVD/CD-ROM drive.

Download `Alcohol 120%' to use these images as virtual cd-roms whenever you want! Quite possibly my favorite piece of windows software (well, maybe it doesn't beat notepad).

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:50 pm

Thanks for the link to Alcahol, I think CD emulation is a fair solution to some of the noise problem. Sorry, what follows is off topic. But not sorry...

:twisted: :twisted: Kill Notepad now!!! Kill Notepad now!!! :twisted: :twisted:

The homepage / description / screenshot for Editpad Classic is here. Download it from the site, even though the page says you can't anymore.

To copy it over top of Notepad, unzip it to {somewhere}, open a Dos box, then go copy {somewhere}\Editpad.exe c:\windows\Notepad.exe , and if it asks anything say yes... problem solved. You won't regret it. Now any leftover file associations to notepad are solved.

If you want to spend money try Editpad Pro. It's as good as it gets. Editpad Classic is still a great and small notepad killer though.

And BTW, no, I don't make money off that. It just rocks.