paxmate or dynamat?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Gandalf

paxmate or dynamat?

Post by Gandalf » Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:37 am

Which one is better?
I did some searching on the forum and found that dynamat apparently only reduces panal vibration. And that apparently paxmate has little or no effect ..
The brownthing (can't remember its name) sounded interesting but I can't find a store that will sell it to me without bankrupting me by ludicrously hight shipping costs.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Jan 11, 2003 7:31 pm

I've found dynamat to be useful for direct damping, such as wrapping HDD's in. But for overall noise absorbing it's pretty useless.

And it smells awful.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:01 pm

The 2 materials you refer to have completely different functions: paxmate for airboarne sound absorbtion and dynamat for minimizing panel vibration. The latter has little use in a low airflow (low vibe) case; the former can be judged partly by weight -- if it's heavier, it generally works a bit better.

For more into... http://forums.silentpcreview.com//viewtopic.php?t=2651

Of all the stuff meant specifically for computer cases the ones by Muffled Computing and AcoustiProducts seem best. Will know more clearly in a week. Testing in the lab.

Howaboutbob

Post by Howaboutbob » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:15 pm

MikeC wrote:The 2 materials you refer to have completely different functions: paxmate for airboarne sound absorbtion and dynamat for minimizing panel vibration. The latter has little use in a low airflow (low vibe) case; the former can be judged partly by weight -- if it's heavier, it generally works a bit better.

For more into... http://forums.silentpcreview.com//viewtopic.php?t=2651

Of all the stuff meant specifically for computer cases the ones by Muffled Computing and AcoustiProducts seem best. Will know more clearly in a week. Testing in the lab.
I was just at Menards last weekend. Found a lot of heavy rubber matting that would make good sound deadeners. Only has to be 1/16" to 1/8" thick. Thicker would be OK but will add weight to the case. If thicker, then it does not need to be from edge to edge (ie 6 " strip s/b OK for 10" area). Use rubber cement to attach.

look for post by Renod in this forum for more advice.
http://forums.silentpcreview.com//viewt ... highlight=

I bought the Damping sheet. Great stuff!
I bought this stuff before my trip to Menards.

I also bought 2lb 1 7/8" foam (like they used to pack in harddrives) in transit. This is to ABSORB sounds. Still waiting for it to arrive.
http://www.foamorder.com/products.cgi?c ... m=acoustic

I am also planing on building a muffler like muffledcomputing.com, using 9.99 drawer from Kmart and aforementioned foam. Its halfway finished, then I need to glue/rubber cement the foam inside and hang with velcro.
The inner drawer (cut to 3" deep) and will face right and be stapled to outside drawer (left at 7" deep) which faces left.
The outside drawer is cut so the lip will hang onto top and one side of the case. I have high hopes.

Thanks a bunch to Renod!
Bob

JSealy00

paxmate

Post by JSealy00 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:31 pm

I have tried both of these products and I found niether very effective. They are both meant for different things....if you have a lot of vibrational noise, dynamat will help you...paxmate is geared towards high frequency noises...such as little fans, and it kills a little high pitched hard drive noise. But otherwise, it just shaves a little bit off of your overall noise.

s@ndb@g

Post by s@ndb@g » Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:49 am

is it better to use dynamat and these sound dampening items on the noise-making items themselves? like for example, instead of lining the dynamat or paxmate on the panels and parts of your case that might make noise, it might be better just to focus those materials on the fans, hard drives, and cd-rom's in your case? is this the best way to reduce noise? TIA! :D

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:16 pm

s@ndb@g -- sound dampening materials ON the components will overheat them.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:59 pm

FWIW...You can buy stuff virtually identical to Dynamat at a large hardware store. This is roofing material stuff and comes in rolls about 8" wide. Buying one roll....about 25 feet, will do several computers at about 1/5 the cost of Dynamat.

The stuff is sold under many brand names....It is sticky tar-like on one side, and plain aluminum backed. Works very well to cut down vibrations.

JarsOfFart

Post by JarsOfFart » Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:46 am

I heard Dynamat is very smelly. If you are going to get Akasa Paxmate, it's at SVC.com for 10.99. I think that's the lowest price.

jinu117

Why not both?

Post by jinu117 » Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:21 pm

I should have thought about it earlier but why not use both?
Dynamet is great at killing the vibration (low freq)
Paxmate is great at killing the high freq noise
The order would be dynamet first than paxmate (dynamet will have aluminum which would not be hard to install paxmate on top of it).
Should have thought about it earlier -_-;

shadymg

Post by shadymg » Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:10 am

the dynamat i bought was an absolute mess, stuck like tar. I lined the inside of the shell of the case & it didn't do a darned thing. its way too expensive for what it does

s@ndb@g

Post by s@ndb@g » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:27 pm

I've applied dynamat to the lining of a case, and it doesn't stop sound worth a damned. I've read some of the posts in here and some people use foam to dampen the airborne sound emitted by the components.

And MikeC, I didn't mean to apply the Dynamat directly to the components to insulate each item, I meant applying pieces of dynamat for example, on the corners of fans where they meet the case, to prevent vibration or sound. I think the best way to use those kinds of materials is to apply them wisely, rather than thru a full-blown application.
_s@nd

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:42 pm

I've applied dynamat to the lining of a case, and it doesn't stop sound worth a damned. I've read some of the posts in here and some people use foam to dampen the airborne sound emitted by the components.
Dynamat isn't meant to stop the airborne sound transmission, but to stop panels vibrating in sympathy with something else -- like the vibes from a car engine or a hard drive, that kind of thing. The thing is, if you already have applied decouple mounting techniques to the noise makers inside your PC, there should be very little vibrations anywa, so these panel dampeners don't do much.

With regard using dynamat as spot insulators, that is not a function theyr were designed for. While it might help a bit, it doesn't absorb or insulate quite the way elastomer grommets do, for example. Too dense and heavy. And while covering, say, 50% of a side panel with Dynamat in a high vibration case will definitely have a noise-reduction effect, I doubt it will be as effective as covering 90%. And 10-20% will have no effect at all.

s@ndb@g

Post by s@ndb@g » Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:34 am

Other than high-vibration cases, what uses can dynamat be applied for?

And is paxmate effective? It appears to take up a lot of room and could be more of a detriment in terms of increasing case temperature.
_s@nd

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:31 pm

Paxmate is awesome at dampening high frequency (ie, HDD whine). It is easy to apply as well. As for vibrational, they do reduce some but not significantly. I would still recommend it to people though.

optikillusion

Post by optikillusion » Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:08 pm

Your profile says your in Belgium. I remember seeing a few web pages from Scandanavian companies that made products equal to Dynamat and Brown Bread. Hit up google. Shipping would not kill you.