Any experience or feedback on Cappuccino Expando E5 fanless?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Any experience or feedback on Cappuccino Expando E5 fanless?

Post by AZBrandon » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:25 pm

Howdy, I'm looking to replace my extremely physically large and somewhat noisy P166 linux system with something much smaller and quieter. Poking around with google I found the CappuccinoPC web site. It looks like they have a machine known as the Expando E5 Fanless PC which would probably fit the bill. I could find a few reviews for their higher end models, but I haven't seen any first hand accounts for this particular model. Here's a link and picture:

http://www.cappuccinopc.com/expandoe5.asp

The basics are as follows:

It's based on the VIA Eden ESP 5000 533mhz CPU and seems to rely mainly on vent holes rather than heat pipes and case-design heatsinks and such. Based on the very low power consumption of the 533Mhz processor (supposedly 3 to 5w) I would think this might not be much of an issue.

I'm just looking for something really basic. With that system configured about as minimum as possible (128mb ram, 40gb 2.5" HD, CD-ROM, no OS) it comes in at $470. What I also like is that it's dimentions are small enough that I can fit it in a small shelf under my monitor and thus free up all the space in my computer room currently occupied by the 24" tall P166 tower of doom. Does anyone know of anything else in this price range that's similar in size and ability for silent or near-silent running?