Computer not quiet in standby mode

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TineTof

Post by TineTof » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

I don't understand, I bought a PC in a supermarket in 2000, it's a Celeron 533 with everything noisy. Noisy but in standby mode, it's very quiet.
<BR>
<BR>I have now a new computer with a HD Seagate Barracuda IV, a Zalman CNPS 5100 (for the CPU), a Zalman ST300BLP (power supply). And it's not so quiet (I mean, I have to switch off the computer when I don't use it, it's located in the main room of the house).
<BR>The problem is that it's not possible to "standby" this computer as the level of noise doesn't decrease...
<BR>
<BR>Is it something to do in the BIOS, or Windows... (ACPI is enabled in the BIOS)?????
[addsig]

Gerwin

Post by Gerwin » Sun Aug 18, 2002 1:34 am

Yes, it has something to do with ACPI. The problem is that a lot of systems don't reliably support the suspend-to-ram method. What you could try is this: IN the BIOS setup, there is probably an option to switch on suspend to ram capability. Put it to 'enabled' or something equivalent. On some, there is also the option like: "CPU Fan at suspend". If you put that to 'off' , the CPU fan will be enabled to switch off when in standby mode. In win98, one thing is also very inportant: In the powersaving tab of your bios setup, there is often the option to disable energy saving. Put that to user define or something equivalent, and than let windows determine when to powersave, not the bios.
Be sure PnP OS is enabled.
Probable it still won't work now, and it will probably only start working when you reinstall windows with these options selected.
On some systems, standby will now be suspend to ram, all fans will stop turning, even your psu fan.
If your system is unstable after waking up, switch off the suspend to ram capability. Then the psu fan will keep turning, that's still very little.

quokked

Post by quokked » Sun Aug 18, 2002 6:46 pm

What's the specs of the new computer? If it's runs hot it's very DANGEROUS to let the CPU fan shut down when the Computer is in standby, my friend nearly fried his 1G T'bird in that way. :(
U could get a cooler computer so u'd need less fan power by undervolting or underclocking the CPU (let someone else fill in that info here), but personally if u're not running the CPU at full load all the time I'd recommend http://www.vcool.de Vcool as it issues a stop command to the CPU so it's idleing but it shuts itself off.
And I'd suggest u'd look at other methods of silcencing the computer like adding acoustic foam and changing fans etc, these are on the right side of the diminishing returns graph :D , this site has a lot of stuff about that as well.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:55 pm

quokked wrote:get a cooler computer so u'd need less fan power by undervolting or underclocking the CPU (let someone else fill in that info here...
Here's the fill... If you haven't already seen it, check out the primer on under-everything-ing: http://www.silentpcreview.com/goto.php?t=s&id=37&a=1