Newbie with two quietish machines and another on the way!

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

juansolo

Newbie with two quietish machines and another on the way!

Post by juansolo » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:17 pm

I've become obsessed (read that as: borderline fanatical) with making my machines ever quieter and stumbled across this site when trying to find a UK supplier of 120mm Panaflow L1A's. What a top place! I've lurked for about a week now reading the forums and what not. So I thought it was about time I de-lurked.

It seems traditional to show off your kit so here goes:

First we have my games PC: http://www.juansolo.demon.co.uk/PCBearding/ShhhGPC.html which is essentially a Battlefield 1942 machine given my total obsession with that game. Then we have my old PowerMac G4 here which was a noisy beast and what started me off with my silencing problem: http://www.juansolo.demon.co.uk/MacBear ... Yikes.html I sold that recently and upgraded to a newer PowerMac that I'm currently in the process of quietening down (hence the search for the Panaflo's)... I've yet to write anything up on that, but give me time.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:54 am

Welcome to SPCR!

Nice job on your boxes. What temps are you getting on your PC? (ambient, idle, load)

juansolo

Post by juansolo » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:10 am

Well I think the sensor on the NorthBridge might be a bit flakey given what it's coming out with but here they are:

Cold temperatures were just after power on, idle were take after letting the system settle and load were after running the ATi Caves demo for a good while

Cold
CPU - 30
System - 26
NB - 52
HDD - 15

Idle
CPU - 42
System - 39
NB - 51
HDD - 31

Load
CPU - 48
System - 41
HB - 51
HDD - 33

Infact I'm not sure I can trust any of the readings from it as it seems a bit erratic. Any recommendations of a 4 probe case thermometer (or two 2 probe ones).

It's also the first time I've really monitored the fan speeds and it seems that other than an initial speed up about 5 mins after boot, they're pretty much static. Probably should get myself some externally adjustable speed controllers also so I can ramp the fans on prolonged Battlefield sessions.

Been reading here about ducting also and it's given me a few ideas. I suppose I need a reliable way of measuring the temperature changes before I partake in any radical case mods.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:52 am

juansolo wrote:
Idle
CPU - 42
System - 39
NB - 51
HDD - 31

Load
CPU - 48
System - 41
HB - 51
HDD - 33
Those temps seem right in the ballpark. Doesn't look like your sensors are flakey to me.

BTW - re:
Juansolo says: "use Marmite"
Do you mean as a thermal compound, alá Vegimite?

juansolo

Post by juansolo » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:01 pm

Good stuff then.

The Marmite reference is, errm, difficult to explain... :oops: Nothing pervy, it's to do with me being a reasonably large bloke and trying to fit in a single seater formula Vauxhall Lotus. Someone commented on the day that I'd have to be stripped naked and lubed up with Marmite to get in. :shock: It wasn't that bad thankfully. It just became a bit of a default sig for me across the forums.

juansolo

Post by juansolo » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:30 pm

Infact since then I've installed MBM5 because I thought the MSI utility wasn't telling me everything.

Well it seems my CPU temperatures have risen somewhat since fitting the 3.0! Peaks during gaming at 60C!! the reason I thought it was lower was that it drops off so quickly after exiting the game that by the time I'd fired up the old MSI utility, it'd dropped off.

It's all moot anyhow as I've decided to go the watercooling route for the CPU & GPU, which should be fun.

Oh and the NB temperatures were complete nonsense.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:40 pm

Wow dude, ur set up looks just like my lil bros comp, he has a green cheiftec case like that one in ur gaming system.

i was wonderings, do u feel the alaska foam helps at all? and u dont think the forton is too loud, i found my to be annoying.

~RaNDoM