WC setup on way...help to silence

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Graphite

WC setup on way...help to silence

Post by Graphite » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:44 am

i'm taking care of my noisy cpu cooler and gpu cooler with water.

lian li pc-75 will be the case

Double heater core, with 2 120mm evercool aluminium fans sucking air out the top. 1 120mm blowing up air from the very bottom, 2 80's in the front set to low just to cool the hd's. I got super silent fans cooling the NB and SB on my DFI lanparty ultra B. I will have more air sucking out of the case, than in for the most part.

System will be heavily overclocked, won't be completely silenced. 250x10.5 on my xp-m 2600. going to run 2vcore through it, and 3.3vdimm through my mushkin lvl2 3500 2x512. Ram gets pretty darn warm at this point. hopefully the bottom 120 will give enough airflow to cool.

Everything will be on fan controls, rubber washers and silicon gaskets will be used on everything possible to keep vibration from being a major concern.

Any other input on fan placement, or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Blackeagle

Post by Blackeagle » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:06 pm

First let me say, congrats on a VERY NICE O/C man! :D

That Mushkin is rock'n hard for you, that's a really good fsb for a full gig of RAM.

Have you given any thought to sound deadening foams? They could help you some I'd think. www.mcmasters.com has some good stuff at saner cost that the puter sites do.

And depending on the PSU you are making use of a change there could be of real help. Might want to check out the new Super Flower 550 with the single 140mm fan. Should insure good stable rails while that new sized and large single fan keeps down noise.

With all the fans and other components already purchased, I don't see much else to do. But I'm new here, and like you I'm more of a overclocker than a silence type guy.

I also water cool, what are your water loop components if you already have them, or ones you are planning on if you don't have them yet?

Graphite

Post by Graphite » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:38 pm

don't have the stuff yet....should be a pretty good setup tho

here is order of the loop

eheim 1250
double heatercore
DD RBX
DD maze4 GPU cooler
5 1/4 rez
and then back to pump

btw....my roomate has sound deadening foam, and all it did was create weight in the case. Didn't do jack for sound. That's why i'm hesitant about it right now.

Edit: was looking also at those antec truepower 550's, with the dedicated 3.3 5 and 12 lines. Would make sure everything was stable enough. I would just have to replace the fans if to noisy.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:47 pm

Graphite wrote:Edit: was looking also at those antec truepower 550's, with the dedicated 3.3 5 and 12 lines. Would make sure everything was stable enough. I would just have to replace the fans if to noisy.
Just had to comment on this. The TruePower 550 is not quiet by SPCR standards (and hence, not by mine either. It's annoying me just listening to it right now). I don't think the fans are easy to replace either. I took it apart to have a look around in it, and the fan connectors are not connected to via PCB, but via wire connectors and atypical ones at that.

Blackeagle

Post by Blackeagle » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:45 pm

Graphite wrote:don't have the stuff yet....should be a pretty good setup tho

here is order of the loop

eheim 1250
double heatercore
DD RBX
DD maze4 GPU cooler
5 1/4 rez
and then back to pump

btw....my roomate has sound deadening foam, and all it did was create weight in the case. Didn't do jack for sound. That's why i'm hesitant about it right now.

Edit: was looking also at those antec truepower 550's, with the dedicated 3.3 5 and 12 lines. Would make sure everything was stable enough. I would just have to replace the fans if to noisy.
A pretty good selection of parts for a first time build. One thing I'd change were it me, get a Silverprop Fusion instead of that maze 4, the Fusion has a polished brass top instead of a aluminum. Reduces corrosion risk a good deal if you have no aluminum in the loop. And the Fusion is a advanced micro channel design, so will cool very well.

www.buildpc.net

Check out the Silverprop line up here.

Graphite

Post by Graphite » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:05 pm

i got a pretty good deal on all of this dangerden stuff, so i couldn't go wrong with it.

about a month or more of research into finding what parts to use. Could wc the hd's and nb...but i might do that later with a different loop. Get one of those smaller res/pump combo's and just shove a single BIX 120 rad on it to cool the rest. Should make the need for airflow in the case to drop dramatically. Got ramsinks on pretty much everything hot on the motherboard, just so i can OC that hard without having to worry to much.

i'm guessing the loudest thing in the comp will be PS and all the 120's. With a SF-609 i should be able to control those fans pretty well to keep the noise lower. Just hoping the controller has enough juice per channel to run it all. heard some bad things about it...who knows.

Blackeagle

Post by Blackeagle » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:00 pm

Graphite wrote: .

i'm guessing the loudest thing in the comp will be PS and all the 120's. With a SF-609 i should be able to control those fans pretty well to keep the noise lower. Just hoping the controller has enough juice per channel to run it all. heard some bad things about it...who knows.
I've a Sunbeam reobus, 20 watts per channel. LED's are a bit on the bright side, for me at least, need to see about that, but can handle a good load.

Graphite

Post by Graphite » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:15 pm

i'm looking for a temp + fan controller in 1. It'd look a bit cleaner for the "look" i'm going for. Guess i have like 4 extra 5 1/4's..might as well have a fan controller and a seperate temp guage.

Becks

Post by Becks » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:10 pm

I don't think power supply matters all that much...

I got a 2600+M @ 2.4ghz 1.7v (reads 1.66 in speedfan) atm.. prime95 gives errors after an hour at 2.5 1.8v.. not sure if its heat or needs little more push, stable other than prime95.. but i'm only with air atm and am waiting to finish my wcing case before i go for 2.6ghz <=2.0v being my goal. Wish I could get that nice fbs, stuck with this crap pc3000 ram, not even supposed to do cas2 at 187mhz.. got it with more volts to do cas2 up to around 210mhz it craps out.. one day i'll get new ram and get some nice fbs, till them i'm at 'stock' 200.

Anways 2.4ghz 1.7v 1gb of kingston ram, 4 seagate harddrives, 3 atm was 4 a week ago, 9600xt oced.. dvdr.. all with a 300watt seasonic tornado.
loaded or unloaded system reads 3.26 5.00 11.86v.. sometimes it'll say 11.92v on the 12 rail when not loaded.

Also just random remark, I don't believe in the gfx wb, right now I have the new version of zalman's passive gfx cooler, i can max out the little slider on teh ocer to 575mhz with no problems. Only cooling is some air comming off the cpu's 120mm fan.... thing gets warm not near hot while gaming but thats it. I figure when computer is watercooled I have this noiseblocker s1 (<15cfm 9-11db) i'll have it blow air in the general direction of the gfx cooler.

I don't think i'lll ever get a water pump and rad fans below 9db enough to have this fan make a difference. But I do see a difference in running tubing not having to go though a gfx waterblock and kill flow.

9600xt isn't the best but i don't think its worth devoting a waterblock to.. m aybe if you had a 9800xt or very oced 9800pro (wish i had) they'd make enough heat.. but i'm not convinced hehe

Graphite

Post by Graphite » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:58 pm

i went and picked up a ton of rubber washers for all the fans

also picked up some indoor weatherstiping. 1/4 inch rubber with glue on each side, will work good for setting the pump, and possible squishing it between the HD's and cage...just make sure to keep the 1 side's tape on so it doesn't stick my HD's to the cages.

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:00 pm

1. Here's one way to suspend it. I used my old bike intertube and zip ties. Nothing to look at but silent.

2. Sell the swiftech MCP600 and get a ehiem.:)

Graphite

Post by Graphite » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:44 pm

mounted the pump above the powersupply with rubber washers, and then used some soft rubber weatherstripping and squished it. Took out about 95% of the vibrations of the pump.

the 2 120's sucking out, and the 1 120 blowing directly up works PERFECT! ram is cool to touch, vid card ramsinks are even getting some air. HD's are taken care of with the 2 80's in front set on medium.

here are temps for those who were wondering

case - 23C
cpu - 32 idle 40 load
vid - can't tell yet..don't have my temp monitor yet.

case temps dropped about 5 degrees, and with 2 volts going through my cpu..and my r9700pro at 375 x 660....i can't complain about temps.

Most of you would have to wear earplugs just to get near my computer because you are all anal....or something. :) But seriously...this things is pretty damn queit. I was actually surprised. PSU of course had to be the loudest thing.

Thanks for all your help and ideas guys...coudln't have done this without you all!!!!

snutten

Post by snutten » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:12 am

I believe the easiest way to silence a system like that is to make a PSU duct. The PSU commonly becomes the noisiest part in a W/C setup so feeding it cool air can help.
Also, I´d recommend hanging the pump in elastic cords instead of any soft mounting. I used to have my 1048 resting on thick layers of foam and it just doesn´t work as good.