Zalman 7000A AlCu modded w/ CHROME FAN! (picture!)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

josephclemente

Zalman 7000A AlCu modded w/ CHROME FAN! (picture!)

Post by josephclemente » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:20 pm

Now my Zalman 7000A AlCu has a chromed fan. I have previously modded it with a black Panaflo fan as seen here:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=10443

I picked up a 92mm Evercool aluminum frame with chromed fan modded for use with my Zalman. This time I mounted it with 1.8mm Stretch Magic instead of screws so it is completely decoupled. I drilled two more holes in the metal plate the fan mounts onto, to string the Stretch Magic through.

See my Stretch Magic thread here:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=11674

This Evercool fan is connected to a Zalman Fan Mate at the lowest speed setting. It spins at about 1065 RPM. This fan along with the Stretch Magic is definitely quieter than the previous mod.

Here is the picture!

maxxymus

Post by maxxymus » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:50 pm

What's the temp difference after the mod?

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:14 pm

Wow, that picture is worthy of promotional literature! Image

idealcrash

Post by idealcrash » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:42 pm

That's awesome. And great pic too, very professional looking. :)

dimva

Post by dimva » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:27 pm

That looks hot. I don't know any other way to put it. You should definitely contact Zalman to do some promotional work. :P

How did you get the picture to look so professional anyway?
maxxymus wrote:What's the temp difference after the mod?
I also would like to know this.

PhilgB

Post by PhilgB » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:39 pm

"Original photography by Joseph M. Clemente (C)2004 All Rights Reserved"

Im guessing it wasn't with a camera phone :lol:

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:55 pm

Thanks, everyone!

I'm not really sure about the temperature difference, because since removing the original Zalman fan, I have also made a duct on the side of the case. The Zalman pulls air directly from outside. Even though I'm using a much slower fan speed, my temperatures are a lot lower than before.

For the photo, I used my new Canon PowerShot A80. I placed a sheet of printer paper behind the heatsink and photographed it in macro mode (no flash). Everything was on auto mode. The room has three 6500K fluorescent light bulbs which is probably an odd choice for a bedroom, but I like them.

I use Ulead PhotoImpact for further editing. This picture didn't need much work, the camera did a good job by itself. All I did was the Highlight Midtone Shadow function, adjusting only highlight. Then resize, focus, and save as JPG.

There are many other functions I use to enhance photos, but this camera is so much better than my previous one that I don't have to do much. I remember my first digital camera - I had to do so much to make things look good. Everyone has it so much easier these days... :)

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Zalman 7000A AlCu modded w/ CHROME FAN! (picture!)

Post by aphonos » Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:03 pm

josephclemente wrote:I picked up a 92mm Evercool aluminum frame with chromed fan modded for use with my Zalman. This time I mounted it with 1.8mm Stretch Magic instead of screws so it is completely decoupled. I drilled two more holes in the metal plate the fan mounts onto, to string the Stretch Magic through.
Can we get a picture of the mounting?

And if you don't have numbers on the change the mod made to the temps, how about just telling us what your temps are with the duct and fan mod?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:18 am

Yes, pics/drawings/commentary of the fan mounting please!

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:32 am

I've tried one Evercool "aluminium" fan and it was noisy as hell.

How is your Evercool at minimum voltage compared to the original Zalman fan?

Perhaps modding with Adda Hypro or Panaflo fan motor would make sense? Hm....

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:29 pm

halcyon wrote:I've tried one Evercool "aluminium" fan and it was noisy as hell.

How is your Evercool at minimum voltage compared to the original Zalman fan?

Perhaps modding with Adda Hypro or Panaflo fan motor would make sense? Hm....
His previous mod was with a Panaflo 92mm L1A swap which he said was quieter than the Zalman. And here is claiming the Evercool is quieter than the Panaflo. Might have something to do with the stretch-cord mounting, too???

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:38 pm

Aphonos: I've used both a Panaflo 92mm L1a and an Evercool on my Thermalright heatsink. There's a reason he said the heatsink is now quieter: The Panaflo blows compared to the Evercool. The sample I had wasn't even quiet at 5v (yes, it defintetly IS the correct Panaflo model). The Evercool gets fairly inaudible around 6-7v. Plus, it moves more air and it looks prettier.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:32 pm

I'm telling you guys-- Evercool rocks. The 120mm AL fans, of which I now have three, all produce ZERO mechanical noise. They are the quietest 120mm fans I've owned (of enermax, panaflo, sunon, and a bunch of generics.) They run fine for me at <1000rpm @ 5v (Zalman fanmate throttled to minimum).. the only thing I hear is air movement. You can get quieter fans, it's true, but only by virtue of moving even less air-- you probably can't get a better noise/airflow ratio.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 92mm fans shared the same quiet characteristics.

Plus they do look cool :D but the most important thing, by far, is their complete lack of any mechanical noise.

ahrbruz
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ahrbruz » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:35 pm

PLEASE!

Pics of your mounting technique. Just ordered a 92mm EverCool; hope to get to the mod later this week.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Zalman 7000A AlCu modded w/ CHROME FAN! (picture!)

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:20 am

josephclemente wrote:I picked up a 92mm Evercool aluminum frame with chromed fan modded for use with my Zalman. [/img]
From where? What is the model number?

Please post pics of your mounting method.

Thanks!

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:40 pm

The Evercool fans I got were from CompUSA. They were pretty expensive ($15 each!) but I was desperate.

To mount the fan, I first drilled two 1.5mm holes below the fan, just as the stock Zalman fan is drilled. I left the fan in the aluminum frame during this procedure.

Then, I removed the fan from the aluminum frame and snipped off the excess plastic posts with cutting pliers.

The metal fan mounting bracket on the Zalman has two holes for the mounting screws. I decided to use Stretch Magic instead.

I drilled two additional holes (1.5mm) into the base, just opposite of the stock hole locations. This is because I wanted to string the Stretch Magic between the fan and the metal base so the fan won't tilt. The fan isn't "suspended" or hanging, it is merely resting on the material. In addition, the Stretch Magic is strung through the two holes I made on the fan base to keep it all together.

I'm very happy with the results. I like this Stretch Magic stuff. :)

DanceMan

Post by DanceMan » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:55 pm

josephclemente wrote: three 6500K fluorescent light bulbs which is probably an odd choice for a bedroom, but I like them.
For those not familiar with colour temperature, that's a daylight balance, and high noon at that. Typical stage lighting, before moving lights, is 3200K, your home incandescents about 2900K.

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:22 pm

That is such an AMAZING mod. Looks incredible.. I bet it looks even better installed :)

I'll have to try and find a local dealer for that aluminum fan.

loren_brothers
Location: Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA, USA....Just West of B.F.Egypt

Post by loren_brothers » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:50 pm

zoob:

see http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=7274

for some on-line retailers

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:42 am

Sorry if I seem a little dense, but you've mounted the new fan to the heatsink by basically tying it into position with the Stretch Magic cords?

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:52 am

I don't get it either. I'm calling the "base" of the fan the piece that the label is on. I don't understand how you attached the Stretch Magic to the base. Unless you tied down 2 of the 4 "brackets" or arms that extend from the base to the al housing. this would seem to be a little wiggly.

M

loren_brothers
Location: Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA, USA....Just West of B.F.Egypt

Post by loren_brothers » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:21 am

I guess we'll have to tie him down (with stretch-magic, of course) and torture him until he comes up with a pic of how he attached it! :twisted:

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:08 pm

I guess I'll have to try and get a picture, LOL. It is basically tied together, but in such a way that there is stretch magic between the fan and the mounting (so the fan isn't touching any of the hardware. I did it in such a way that there is no wiggling going on... :)

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:54 pm

IT'S STRETCH MAGIC PEOPLE! STRETCH MAGIC!!

ahrbruz
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ahrbruz » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:24 pm

:wink:

Come on Joseph....

Pics of how you attached the fan. And...

Did your EverCool 92 mm come with an RPM sensor lead? The one I picked up today did not.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:49 am

Call me nuts if You like, but I'd like a bigger version of the pic (original before resize) to use as a background pic... :shock: :D 8)

Cheers,

Jan

yermolovd

Post by yermolovd » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:10 am

Would this look as good if I'd buy 92mm Panaflo and paint it with silver paint from Canadian Tire? :P Just wondering, because I am going to swap a fan on 7000AlCu and thought of painting panaflo hehe.

mwalt2

Post by mwalt2 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:58 pm

This looks like a really cool mod. I'm very happy with my 2 120mm evercool aluminum fans on my case. I am thinking of adding the 92 mm to my zalman7000 alcu heatsink since the stock fan has developed a clicking noise. To clear up some confusion, could you either take the fan off and show a picture of the bottom (sticker side) where you drilled the holes or go here ( http://us.st7.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/ ... 0_27875021 ) and use mspaint to draw where you drilled/threaded the strech magic. Thanks.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:30 pm

joseph,

Horrible job. It's ugly and makes a whole lot of noise. I can tell just by looking at it. Get rid of it. Send it to me.

shathal

Post by shathal » Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:00 pm

:D

*ROFL*

Ah, that nearly cracked a gut, that did.

*wipes a tear away*

"Send it to me" ... indeed... precious :).

Sounded so serious too.

(It *is* serious, huh? ;) )