Homemade HD watercooler

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wussboy

Homemade HD watercooler

Post by wussboy » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:25 am

I'm in the design stage of a HD water cooler, and I had one planned out, but now something is sticking in my mind saying that parallel lines don't work. Gooserider? Was that you? I'll try and ASCII my idea here, and then please, anyone, give you opinion.

%%%%%%%%
A#######%%
%%#%#%#%%
%%#%#%#%%
%%#%#%#%%
%%########B
%%%%%%%%

Water comes in at A, and the flows down through one of 3 tubes and is rejoined at the bottom tube to exit at B. There is one inlet and one outlet with 3 down tubes. The 3 down tubes will be soldered to a 6"x4" piece of copper with holes drilled in it to mount 4 HDs. There will be a similar plate on the other side. Thoughts? Recommendations.

chylld

Post by chylld » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:06 pm

next time you do ascii art you might want to try using the {code} {/code} block like so:

Code: Select all

%%%%%%%%% 
A######%% 
%%#%#%#%% 
%%#%#%#%% 
%%#%#%#%% 
%%######B 
%%%%%%%%%
why not have B on the same side as A?

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:02 pm

What? You don't like my ASCII art? That took me 10 minutes!

I feel like A and B on opposite sides will make it more likely that all three down tubes are utilized.

I wonder if I'm over-designing. Would this work just as well, if not better?

Code: Select all

%%%%%%%
%%###%%
%%#%#%%
%%#%#%%
%%#%#%%
A##%##B
%%%%%%%

chylld

Post by chylld » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:38 pm

oh i love your ascii art, it inspires me to .. it's inspiring.

yeh, that second one; that's the kind of design that i've seen actually used. it works well enough and you don't need a more complex waterblock design for the hdd's anyway.

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:51 am

I think that having one less down tube may be compensated for by the fact that all the water is going through all the tubes. I'll probably do that one.

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:54 pm

Well, most of the side mount blocks I've seen ran the tubes horizontally rather than vertically, but I don't think that makes a big difference. I think that just about any sort of design will do an acceptable job on cooling a hard drive, they are not fussy since they don't put out that much heat.

A minor suggestion on the ASCII art (which I also do a lot of) is that when you use the 'code' block flag, spaces are preserved, so it is no problem to use them. Your drawings would be alot easier to understand if you used spaces for the background instead of %'s

Gooserider