I'm asking around, as I've been searching around the net for a few hours now, and would much rather just get your experience in, as I seem to be having problems finding what I want.
Let's start with where I'm heading:
MB: Intel D875PBZ
CPU: Prescott P4 3.4 GHz
HD's: 2 x 250 GB SATA drives (for starters)
Memory: 1 GB (for starters).
<the usual stuff like DVD-RW and so need hardly mention >
* 1 quiet Chassis
* (Maybe fans to go into chassis)
* Quiet PSU with the "oomph" to power the system.
* Quiet CPU FHS?
* Top-range NVIDIA or ATI GFX-card to be out soon. (Mention due to PSU needs).
<I'll tackle the bridge of how to get a high-end gfx card run quiet in a seperate matter, I suspect that'll be ... interesting too>
What I'm looking for / notes:
OK, to be blunt, I'm going on a bit of a spending spree, so money is not so much of an issue. Yes, this is intended to be a bit of a monster .
My irritation comes from the fact that it seems to be a herculean effort to find what I want. That is - in essence - a QUIET case, with good space inside. I'd like this monster to be a QUIET monster, if at all possible.
- I'm starting with 2 HD's, but I'll likely be needing more fairly soon.
- I want to have 120 mm fans (the sound of silence, eh?). Seems reasonable to me
- I want to have a case which has got an air intake filter. Clean precious insides and all that
- IDEALLY - have the chassis be able to swivel the mobo section out (but that's optional - can live without it).
- I want a meaty, but quiet PSU. I am thinking 450W minimum, having made a rough power budget of my needs/planned usage. Suggestions here are very welcome too. Needs are mostly down to the GFX-cards.
Yes, I am quite aware that this likely isn't going to come cheap, but I am mostly concerned with FINDING the right stuff, rather how to pay for it (for once) .
- NVIDIA's and ATI's next top of the range babies will require 2 additional molex connectors, supposedly from two seperate power-channels, where nothing else can be hanging off (except maybe a fan). Be that as it may, it's serious power suckage one way or another. Hence, I need a beefy PSU - preferrably with lots of Molex connectors (I count I'll need a minimum of
- Finding a PSU which has 450 Watts (preferrably more) that doesn't try to emulate a jet trying to take off is not easy, as i've found
- Finding a case which has got 120 mm fans, AND offers the expansion space I want, AND comes without PSU, AND has an air filter (AND - ideally - can swivel out the mobo section tothe side) ... hard to find.
(hence my plea for your aid
- Ideally, I'd like the case to be silvery/aluminium - but that's just icing on the cake/chassis
- Anyone know if there's a way to cool a 3.4 GHz Prescott without making it appear as if I'm living near a runway? At the moment, I'm looking at the boxed Intel cooler, which came with the CPU, but would prefer a nifty quiet solution. Suggestions here also welcome
I've looked at various cases, Lian-Li, Coolermaster, various smaller ones ... but either have not found the "right" model yet, or have just not seen the forest for the trees. Please help. Coolermaster seemed to have it "nearly" right, but their 120 mm chasis don't seem to have filters.
What I DON'T want/need:
- Modding the case.
- Glass panels in case.
I am quite happy with just a "solid box", really. Long as it ideally looks nifty, but is quiet. I'm not a modder junkie (yet), so it's not a concern
Please help, if you would. My search is becoming considerably more painful than I'd planned on it being.