Enermax / Chieftec marriage

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Tulip

Enermax / Chieftec marriage

Post by Tulip » Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:13 pm

A few days ago, I unfortunately blew up a Chieftec HPC-300-202 Power Supply by connecting up the Floppy Disk drive incorrectly. Chieftec Power Supplies are some of the quietest on the market, especially the 300W model. The fan control electronics seem to be very effective. I decided to use these in an Enermax EG351P-V that had been standing around for a while, but was in comparison, extremely noisy. I removed the 92cm fan completely, and replaced the 80cm fan with the one out of the Chieftec and it's associated electronics. The thermistor i positioned away from the location of the coils, as in my opinion, this is one of the major reasons for Power Supply fans speeding up so quickly. The result was total silence. On a test bench outside of the PC the fan starts up at ca. 800 rpm, after 1 hour its still only running at ca. 900rpm and cannot be heard at a distance of 50cm. I'm going to build it into a PC tonight and test it out.

TerryW

Post by TerryW » Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:14 pm

Hello Tulip,

It is a shame to hear about the lose of your PSU. My condolences. :shock:

The PSU manufacturer most likely placed the thermistor on the coil to sense the ambient temperature of the coil. I appreciate the coil gets hot very quickly and therefore can only assume the coil sensing is a bandaid solution.

I wish to caution you on your idea. Do not move the thermistor too far from the coil. Placing the thermistor too close and the fan will always running @ max rated speed. Too far away, the PSU may not receive adequate cooling and the PSU may be damaged.

You might need to experiment with the placement to acheive the best results.

Good luck and good computing. :D

TerryW