need help dampening pump vibration

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

chylld

need help dampening pump vibration

Post by chylld » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:35 pm

heya guys,

the eheim 1048 in my radbox is making the whole box vibrate since it's directly bolted to the side panel. it wasn't a problem before (it was inaudible) but now that i have 2 120mm fans there the combination of fan vibration + pump vibration is causing the fans to make an annoying vibrating sound.

here's a pic of my system as is:

the pump is bolted to the side panel using 4 nuts/bolts. the fans are held in place by friction with acoustic dampening material.

how do i go about decoupling the pump in my setup? here's a pic of the back of the box to help:

i've tried installing the acoustic foam other way around (thicker foam towards the walls) but didn't make any difference. :(

Graphite

Post by Graphite » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:48 pm

throw rubber bands around it, and make it hang, so it makes no contact with anything solid. NOTHING else will help dramatically. I have mine mounted inside my lian li pc-75 above my power supply. I did a ton of work with rubber weatherstripping, small tubing around my screws so there was no metal contact with case, and rubber washers all over. I still have vibration, there is no possible way to deaden it. Of course, i have the eheim 1250 which may vibrate a bit more.

Dhurdahl

Post by Dhurdahl » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:57 pm

Yupp... need to unmount it from the wall... thats step one..

It looks like you have plenty of spac around the pump to be able to suround it with for ex eggcrate foam stuff (aka packing material).
BUT don't wedge it in hard.. should only rest on it.

And.. a thing many forget.. lots of vibrations are transmitted through the hoses also to other components.. so make sure you are using as soft hoses as you dare for the pump, the other ones isn't that important.

:D

chylld

Post by chylld » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:12 am

ahh yeh that's a problem - there's only about 1 inch of hose between the pump and the res, and the res is bolted to the case too :(

at least i'll be more prepared for my next radbox...

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:07 am

Another problem is that you will most likely feel vibration even if you successfully decouple the pump. Those tubing 1/2" thick at that short length tend not to bend much and puts enough strength to vibrate the radiator. There are some excellent materials to do this such as vibration dampner mounting from mcmaster.com. However, I would rethink about length of 1/2" tubing involved even before going any further and spending $$$.

chylld

Post by chylld » Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:28 pm

yeh in my next build i intend to use soft silicone tubing to connect the pump to the rest of the loop. as this guy has done:

that's a 1250 mounted to an aluminium case, with no vibration transmission at all.

caxis0

Post by caxis0 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:37 pm

Chylld: whose rig is that? I have been constructing a 3 tap fill and bleed assembly in my mind and would very much like something similar to this. I want to know just what parts those are, it looks like copper tubing and threaded nipples? If that is the case, how are they connected to eachother and what kind of valves are those--mine is going to be 1/2"ID, but I know I can track down similar parts.

chylld

Post by chylld » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:39 pm

that setup belongs to Turbokeu from the Overclockers Australia forums. the valves are eheim shutoff valves, he just painted them silver (as he did with the piping and the pump housing.) i think he used a combination of silicone goop and soldering to achieve that setup, it looks very nice indeed :) (although not the best arrangement, that many 90 degree bends especially right before the pump inlet killed his flow rate, to the point where it was flowing slower than a finely-tuned 1048 setup)

bobkoure

Post by bobkoure » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:15 am

Ack! Count the 90 degree turns in that system. At least they're not milled 90s bit still...

Oh - and mcmaster has soft silicone tubing that'll probably help reduce vibrations in your current box. You might want to try the thinwall (1/8" wall) which is a lot more likely to kink but will transmit very little vibration - even over a short stretch.
To reduce kinking, you can either put a zip-tie over the section that's kinking - or if you want to get fancy, get come PVC pipe with the same ID as the OD of the tubing you're trying to keep from kinking. Cut some "rings" off this PVC and position them over the spot that's prone to kinking...

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:50 pm

bobkoure wrote:To reduce kinking, you can either put a zip-tie over the section that's kinking - or if you want to get fancy, get come PVC pipe with the same ID as the OD of the tubing you're trying to keep from kinking. Cut some "rings" off this PVC and position them over the spot that's prone to kinking...
Or play big spender with some Coolsleeves.

bobkoure

Post by bobkoure » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:50 am

HammerSandwich wrote:Coolsleeves.
Oh right - hadn't realized they were available in 5/8". Good point!