300 watt for dual 2000+?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

kcott

300 watt for dual 2000+?

Post by kcott » Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:09 am

hi all,

i'm making a second machine, to be used for rendering with studio max. because it will be in my bedroom with my main machine, i need it to be quiet. will a 300 watt nexus power supply be enough for a dual mp2000+, one 40gig harddrive, 1i cd drive, and 1 gig ram, and a cheap ati vid card. that is all this machine will have in it. the machine will be on and rendering 24/7.

thanks for your help

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Re: 300 watt for dual 2000+?

Post by powergyoza » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:03 am

kcott wrote:hi all,

i'm making a second machine, to be used for rendering with studio max. because it will be in my bedroom with my main machine, i need it to be quiet. will a 300 watt nexus power supply be enough for a dual mp2000+, one 40gig harddrive, 1i cd drive, and 1 gig ram, and a cheap ati vid card. that is all this machine will have in it. the machine will be on and rendering 24/7.

thanks for your help
If you're gonna do that, I'd suggest using the asus dualie mobo or possibly the iwill dualie mobo. The asus has power circuitry that (seemingly) shares the load more evenly between the 5V and 12V lines - 1 cpu draws pwr from the 5V line, the other from the 12V line. Other than the Iwill, I think all other dualies use some sort of shared power distribution scheme -- who knows how much power the CPUs are drawing from each line? I'd check the forums on 2cpu.com to see what people are saying about each of the mobo's.

I'm pretty sure my Tyan dualie is drawing all the power from the 5V lines for my 1600MP's. Blech! so inefficient!