Experience with Enermax Whisper PSU's?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

DuckTape

Experience with Enermax Whisper PSU's?

Post by DuckTape » Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:01 pm

Hello folks.

Just how loud (subjectively and/or measured dB) have you personally found the Enermax Whisper PSU's to be? (Please specify models, wattages, etc.)

What PSU's (brands, models, wattages) have you personally found to be more quiet than the Enermax Whisper PSU's?

Thanks for your time!
DuckTape

Mike Sae

"Whisper" is a misnomer.

Post by Mike Sae » Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:55 pm

I used an Enermax EG365P-VE(FC) and found that it's just as loud if not more so than a typical bargain PSU. I think it has two problems.

-The "quiet" mode is never, ever maintained. After 10 minutes, it spins at full throttle. Mine even featured the improved external thermistor.

-The simple fact that 2 fans are louder than one.

Even with the 92mm enermax fan disconnected, the 80mm still makes plently of "whoosh".

I replaced it with a Zalman ZM300A-APF. It's much, much more quiet. My case temps are the same and the exhaust is similarly warm. Subjectively, it doesn't run any hotter than the Enermax.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:12 am

digitalix wrote:ugh, the enermax whisper, quite honestly, it's a joke. compare it with any of the power supplies we're talkin about on here, zalman, silenx, nexus...it's a wind tunnel in comparison. enermax used to be a meaningful name in the power supply business, what happened to them lately?
They've always been like this. Peoples perception and tolerance of noise seems to be changing lately. Go back about two years and the very same Enermaxes we're ragging on now where the best you could get, other than the expensive PPC&C Silencers.

Hebrews126

Post by Hebrews126 » Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:25 pm

that's right. it really is a joke, one loud whisper.

shunx

Post by shunx » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:00 am

Enermax "Whisper"? To me ears, I call that false advertisement.

WATYF1

Post by WATYF1 » Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:45 am

I second (or third, or fourth, or whatever) these comments...

There are plenty of truly "silent" PSU's out there, and the so-called "Whisper Quiets" aren't one of them. I just got rid of a machine that was running one, and swtiched to a SilenX... the difference is mind blowing.

WATYF