Will PSU from ST62K ever be available separately ?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tridion

Will PSU from ST62K ever be available separately ?

Post by tridion » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:30 am

Any ideas / opinions on whether Shuttle are ever likely to sell the PSU from the ST62K separately ? Could you even use it with older XPC systems ?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:40 am

The ST62K PSU has a proprietary connection to the motherboard that won't work with anything other than a mobo that's been designed for it. I don't know if it would be possible to rig up some sort of adapter to plug it into a normal ATX connector but I wouldn't bet too much money on it.

tridion

Post by tridion » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:54 am

OK, thanks for that.

I think Shuttle should release a "standard" version of this PSU for their older XPC systems. I only just bought a SN45G - I knew about the ST62K and the external PSU was very very tempting but I already had an Athlon CPU which I intended to use in the system and wanted an AGP slot.

Anyone want to sign my petition ? ;)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:08 am

tridion wrote:Anyone want to sign my petition ? ;)
I would.

It's the quiet PSU that makes the ST62K, and the lack of a quiet PSU that is the fatal flaw in almost all other SFFs.

tridion

Post by tridion » Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:46 am

I think it would be a wise move if Shuttle were to sell a similar PSU separately. Currently, their "silent" 250w PSU replacement takes a new slant on the word "silent" in my opinion.

I think they would have plenty of takers for an external psu sold separately.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:09 am

I'd go for it. Especially if they price at low as (if not lower) than the SilentX.

tridion

Post by tridion » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:52 am

I got a reply from tech support at Shuttle stating there was no plans to sell an external psu separately.

However, he said he would pass on the email to their research department for consideration.

I guess if enough people email them about such a product they may just listen. that was a hint everyone ;)