DD 12v Pump (help me select good parts!)

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

caxis0

DD 12v Pump (help me select good parts!)

Post by caxis0 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:46 pm

The Pump:
http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Pumps/dd12vd4.asp

I was really thinking of getting this pump, but then I saw this:

http://www.dangerden.com/images/pumps/1 ... art_lg.jpg

Are these pumps really THAT loud? Does anyone have one? Does anyone have any thoughts on the swiftech 600 pump?

Brooce
Last edited by caxis0 on Mon May 03, 2004 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:53 am

Even the OCForum guys think it's loud. Search there for recordings posted by Cathar.

exeter_acres

Post by exeter_acres » Sat May 01, 2004 4:43 am

No personal experience... but Cathar is the man... I read a long discussion about the pump on the OC Australia forums a while back...and the consensus was Yes, it is quite loud....

stats are very nice except for that glaring issue

caxis0

Post by caxis0 » Mon May 03, 2004 8:00 pm

Yeah, coincidentally, I read what he posted right before checking in here tonight. I was reading Procooling or Pimprig and someone had copied it over.

I guess that rules that pump out.

Here is what I am thinking. Eheim 1046 with Danger Den TDX block (not quite out yet), Maze 4, and a 1/2" barbed VPU cooler that I haven't decided on yet. I have one BIX 120 radiator (I know I know, shoulda used a heater core). I don't plan to have a resevoir, but I may.

Is this suitable? I really do want some feedback on this... it is my first watercooling project and I want to do it right.

My priority is silence. 2nd to silence, I want it to look good and I want it to work well--I am not nearly as concerned with a couple of degrees C as I am with having something reliable, pleasant looking, and silent.

My thing with the Eheim pump is that it doesn't come with 1/2 ID fittings like I want. Can I put 1/2 barbs on it or would I have to use some sort of converters? I don't want to use any converters, I want everything to fit 1/2 ID tubing if possible. Also, is the 1046 powerful enough? Maybe I should consider a Swiftech 600 Pump?

Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated.

Bruce

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Tue May 04, 2004 2:40 pm

caxis0 wrote:Here is what I am thinking. Eheim 1046 with Danger Den TDX block (not quite out yet), Maze 4, and a 1/2" barbed VPU cooler that I haven't decided on yet. I have one BIX 120 radiator (I know I know, shoulda used a heater core). I don't plan to have a resevoir, but I may.

Is this suitable? I really do want some feedback on this... it is my first watercooling project and I want to do it right.
G'day, Bruce! It's a bit hard to analyze this system, since we don't know your components and heat load. Are you planning on using the Maze4 on your northbridge? That's something you can probably cool passively. While I haven't heard one, the Swiftech pump does have a good reputation for quiet and would work better than the 1046, particularly with multiple blocks. Because you're going for silence, you'll need low airflow through the BIX and watercooling the VPU will increase your CPU temps. Are you sure that a Zalman or Arctic Cooling VGA HSF won't meet your needs?

chylld

Post by chylld » Tue May 04, 2004 3:00 pm

hi caxis0,

i would highly recommend the eheim 1048 pump, it performs much better than the 1046 and can be quietened down to near-silence with careful dampening. a 1046 would be too weak in my opinion unless you give it that innovatek mod which bumps it up to 1048 performance...

a BIX is not really going to give you performance and silence together, i learnt that the hard way. i would HIGHLY recommend you go out and find yourself a heatercore as you will be able to run 2 fans on it at extremely low speeds, i'm running 2 papst4412fgl's on my heatercore and my monitor is still the loudest component in my system.

you should be able to find suitable brass barbs for the 1046 (if you end up getting this pump) that converts the outlet to 1/2". (iirc the inlet is already 1/2"). look to your local plumbing supply warehouse, down here in australia a good one is Purple Pig, to give you an idea of what to look for.

when you're watercooling, the noise that you have to deal with comes only from the pump and the fans on the radiator. eheim pumps are top-notch when it comes to noise/performance, and wrt a radiator, just find a nice big 2x120mm2 heatercore.

that's your ticket to silence.

chylld

Post by chylld » Tue May 04, 2004 3:09 pm

forgot to comment about the swiftech pump.

the mcp600 is a pretty good pump and it is a much better product in it's current revision than it used to be. it used to be noisy and clattery and prone to failure, but the new revisions are supposedly improved.

it runs on 12v so it automatically turns on when u turn ur pc on, as opposed to an eheim which is mains-powered and thus is on unless you turn it off at the power point and/or unplug it.

an exception would be when you have a pump relay circuit, but these are totally unnecessary for the eheim pumps because they are designed to run 24/7 anyway. in fact, the eheim pumps are designed to run for years on end in dirty environments like outdoor pools etc (it's an outdoor pump) with all sorts of crap - a pc watercooling loop, by comparison, is a cakewalk for it. people talk of eheims running for 5 or even 7 years on end.

now, as a pump, the mcp600 will perform significantly better than the eheim 1048 as it has a much greater pressure head. however, as a unit in a watercooling loop, the advantage is not so significant, as an eheim 1048 will definitely be satisfactory unless you have 3 blocks or more. in which case, i'd recommend the eheim 1250 as opposed to the mcp600.

the eheims have a flawless track record, and are second to only the iwaki pumps (although they are noisier) with respect to quality and reliability. i thus recommend the eheim.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Tue May 04, 2004 4:06 pm

chylld wrote:in which case, i'd recommend the eheim 1250 as opposed to the mcp600.
Have you heard an MCP600, chylld?

chylld

Post by chylld » Tue May 04, 2004 4:26 pm

HammerSandwich wrote:Have you heard an MCP600, chylld?
not the new revision, no. i haven't heard the old revision either but i've been told that the noise level is somewhere between an l1a@12v and an m1a@12v. that's pretty quiet, but the eheim is silent.

caxis0

Post by caxis0 » Wed May 05, 2004 12:27 am

Was going to use a maze4 on the NB. I am going for an absurd overclock--I know performance is kind of counter to the main objective here, which is silence, but I feel confident that I can get a nice balance.

I think you may be right about the VPU block tho. I may just use a zalman or something like you recommended because my big priority is keeping the CPU temp low.

As for radiators, I'm using a single BIX with a 120mm L1A.

And THANKYOU so much, you have made up my mind--I'm going with the 1048, this pump delima has been troubling me for nearly a month now.

I'd give you more specs about what I am trying to cool, but I haven't built it yet, I'm kind of doing things a little bit backwards.

I really do appreciate all of the helpful feedback, Thank you!

Bruce

caxis0

Post by caxis0 » Wed May 05, 2004 12:30 am

One more thing, with the setup I mentioned above, do you think 3/8 ID or 1/2 ID would be more appropriate?

[edit: Exeter_acres--nice to see a familiar name from OCC :)--even though I don't post too much over there.]

chylld

Post by chylld » Wed May 05, 2004 12:51 am

i would go for 1/2" ID tubing but depending upon how cramped your case is, you might be better off with smaller tubing. only go with the smaller tubing if tube routing with 1/2" tubing is going to be totally impossible.

with good 1/2" tubing (clearflex, tygon) you can do pretty tight turns though.